IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

The premium for a pre-built system is ridiculous.  I hope your article empowers people to do it themselves.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That said, the final cost is much lower in terms of the multiplier, compared to the rest of HiFi.

The added value of the pre-built Nucleus is also way lower than the typical audio product.  If Roon isn't making a lot of profit, the dealers are.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

13 minutes ago, firedog said:

Well, it all depends where you are coming from and if you have any inclination to do it yourself. 

Sure, I agree.  The biggest risks of building your own system are typically selecting the parts (potential compatibility issues), software compatibility (drivers) and sizing (can the system deliver the desired performance).  

These risks are really minimized in this case, because Roon has tested the whole thing for you.   Of course, you can always get a DOA part.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, vlomdmdiv said:

For the Intel NUC7i7BNH, does anyone know if there is a benefit to upgrade the BIOS to the latest 0050 version?

Did you read the release notes?  What is your current BIOS version?

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27057/eng/BN_0050_ReleaseNotes.pdf

7 minutes ago, vlomdmdiv said:

I have 0046.

You might want to get more current.  Version 47 includes a microcode update to fix a problem with hyperthreading.  You want that fix unless you turn hyperthreading off.  Usually, I don't update the BIOS unless I am having a problem.  You can google for more information about the Skylake/Kaby Lake hyperthreading issue.

Just now, vlomdmdiv said:

I updated my NUC7i7BNH from Version 46 to Version 50 with out any problems.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm glad everything went well.