IGNORED

Hattor Audio Class D (Hypex)

Thanks for the info in this thread. I just ordered a pair of nc500mp monoblocks from Arek and am excited to receive them. 

Could anyone here shed any light on the difference between nc500 and nc500mp for me? And how does the nc500mp compare to the nc400 module that was so popular for DIYers. 

Any insight would be much appreciated. 

thanks! 

14 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Well his opinion is the only one that really matters.

For the deluded, Hypex is outstanding in terms of sound quality and value.  Having said that, the DIY option is in many ways ideal, and really requires a minimum of DIY skills.

I think I could have handled the DIY,  but Hattor seems to offer far better engineering skills and build quality for less money than I would have spent buying the NC400 module + kit direct from Hypex, which is sold out at the moment any way. 

Which is why I'm wondering how the NC500mp module matches up against the NC400 one used in the DIY kit. My speakers are Dynaudio Focus 160s (86db at 4ohm), so the extra power from the 500mp will be welcome. I just don't have a sense for the difference between the different Hypex modules and couldn't glean much from the Hypex website. 

7 hours ago, firedog said:

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/

They make and sell amps based on all the modules and also on the new ICE modules. Call or write them and I'm sure they can give you an idea. From the site:

"The NCore MP modules have an on board PSU and twin channels providing 85-90% of the sound quality of the NC500 in a compact footprint. They easily outperform older UcD amplifiers. They retain all the bass control, dynamics and most of sound stage and resolution of our NC500 amplifiers out performing most commercial amplifiers found on the high street costing 3-4 times more."

Thanks very much for this, Firedog. I've read a bit about the Nord models, and the confirmation of "onboard PSU" vs user-selectable seems to be the big difference between NC500 and NC500mp. I hadn't seen that wording anywhere else so clearly. 

Also, from what I can tell, Nord stereo amps use the 502mp module, which is in fact twin channel, while the nc500mp modules in my new amps are single channel. That's the only difference between the 502mp and 500mp on the Hypex website. 

So, the difference between the NC500mp monoblocks and the Hattor "ultimate power amps"  seems to boil down to the external vs internal PSU on nc500mp vs NC500 and the upgraded input buffer. 

My use-case here is perhaps a little different from some. I was looking for a lot of power in a cool-running design that I could tuck away in a cabinet ( to keep away from prying little hands ). So, Class D ticks a lot of boxes for me. I was originally looking used amps featuring ICEpower, but the recent reviews for NCore seem to suggest that NCore made significant advancements that justify buying new. As I said, my first inclination was DIY, but they're sold out at the moment, and, my interactions with Arek + his obvious strengths in engineering and casework gave me enough confidence to commission a pair of monos. 

Thanks also to @m5sime for starting this thread.