IGNORED

The DSC1 DAC as a way to understand how a simple DSD DAC actually works

Was hoping you'd start this thread - thanks!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

26 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Is there a simple PDF of what's required to DIY it?  Do you sell assembled boards for the lazy?  Measurements?  

Re the first two, schematics and no.  I'll leave the last to someone who knows.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, shadowlight said:

If you search ebay for DSC1 you will find couple of users selling assembled boards.

Yes, but it's quite difficult to tell what those actually are.

By the way, so as not to confuse folks, the references to no schematics were to the Chinese boards - @Miska has schematics and a bill of materials on the Signalyst site.  (@jabbr , I'm sure you have schematics for your version at DIYAudio.  BOM as well?)

39 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Everything is on the DIYAudio site ... the desire to use even more discrete implementations means moving more to SMD components -- the through the hole jFets are an increasingly rare ... and expensive ... breed. SMD components are super cheap in contrast, though soldering them requires skill and is aided by equipment like a stereomicroscope. So maybe not for everyone though several people are working on it. That said, SMD is great for production -- there is typically a substantial setup fee needed to load the rolls of the specific parts but then the production is automated with pick-and-place and then wave solder -- like pizza :) 

In other words, if enough people were interested, there might be benefit to a group buy.  How many do you think would constitute "enough people"?  (Right now I unfortunately have to say that though I wish I could be part of it, I'm paying on a mortgage and a construction loan and a lot of the other stuff involved in building a new home and paying the bills on the current one.)