IGNORED

What is your fav Focal Elear EQ curve?

17 minutes ago, crenca said:

4483 to be exact (I meant to enter 4500 ;)

I was hoping you would respond Dale - I found a review of yours of the Elear somewhere with a curve but it had no numbers listed.  What are you doing above 4500 (6-10k)?  Also, what are you doing with 500-1500, 2k?  I don't quite know what to do in this latter area as everything I try still sounds off...

I'm up about 3 db between 6-9 khz.  About 6 db from 10-13 khz, but that's harder to judge even though the tones are audibly reliable there, since ear canals vary greatly at the highest frequencies, and so do most premium headphones.  I didn't do anything significant in the midrange, about -3 at 220 hz and -3 around 1.7 khz, just because it seemed better that way.  The mids are pretty well free of coloration, which I've found true of the Focal headphones I've tried so far.

18 minutes ago, crenca said:

Ok, thanks for the insight.  Coming from the usual planar's (Hifiman, etc.) perhaps I am too used to that reluctant-yet also-sweet (is that the word?) midrange that causes these dynamics to sound "off".  I keep tinkering with things between 200 to 2k looking for something - but I end back up to right around your 2-300 and 1500-2k with even less attenuation (about 2db)....

The planars I've used seemed to have a very flat midrange, which is very appealing.

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, buonassi said:

yes, original Elear, stock pads.  Unusual, I admit - but I really enjoy smooth treble, and this takes away the coarseness for me at least.  So far, very impressed with the Elear.  I know I can dial this in better, but even at first pass, the speed and depth of this phone is on point.  

What I found so unusual about the Elear was the seeming lack of reflections in the earcups, compared directly to other open headphones.  In a sense, it was just a little bit like listening in an anechoic chamber - not a 'dead' sound by any means, but noticeably quieter than other headphones.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, buonassi said:

I've simplified my compensation curve quite a bit, trading perfect frequency response for less DSP-ing, if that's a verb.  I'm beyond impressed with how well this takes to EQ.  Note I'm using linear phase for the highs and a minimum phase for the lows in a different AU bank.  Stellar with a bit of crossfeed from Goodhertz

highs.jpeg

lows.jpeg

I've found that trade works pretty well sometimes, especially if it frees up a slider or two.