IGNORED

Which DACs bypass digital filtering?

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

What open source software do you work on (just curious)?

Got it, never mind. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

What open source software do you work on (just curious)?

I've been using Linux since about 1994/1995 from 0.x kernel times. "Solely" on open source since 2004, before that only partially.

It varies over time. One of the audio related projects was/is JACK audio server ("jack1").

For Nokia's Linux-based mobile devices (internet tables, phones) on multimedia frameworks, instant-messaging/voice/video-calls and accounts & single sign-on. Nokia N9 was last product of that line before Nokia decided to hire Elop and switch to Windows Phone.

Then later on Glib-based rewrite of the single sign-on framework, Tiny Login Manager "TLM", Tizen OS for some time and now recently on IoT specific distribution.

Plus bunch of other stuff across the board.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

now recently on IoT specific distribution.

Edited 11 minutes ago by Miska

Yep, saw some of the Ostro stuff.  You would find a very interested audience for IoT security among many people in my field at the moment.  But the vast majority would be iOS and Android users.

(Sorry for the OT.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

I have seen ads for some boards from China - don't know if they're fully populated and what the quality might be.

Since schematics and (IIRC) suggested parts lists are available,  another possibility is to pay someone local with decent electronics skills to build one for you.

Is it just a hardware thing or does it require programming? 

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 minutes ago, semente said:

Is it just a hardware thing or does it require programming? 

Just hardware.  Everything you need to do is in software.  But that means you're not getting any fun user interface stuff on the hardware side either.

17 hours ago, mansr said:

Digital filters are always more flexible than analogue ones. Especially for DSD64 where the noise is quite close to the audio band, a digital low-pass filter followed by remodulation at a higher rate can give an end result superior to using an analogue filter directly.

It's always possible for a poor implementation to do more harm than good. If the implementation is of reasonable quality, I see no downsides.

There is no difference in principle between hardware and software digital filters. A hardware filter is simply a network of multipliers and adders hardwired to perform one function. A computer uses exactly the same kind of arithmetic blocks to do its calculations, only here they are controlled by a program so the function is not fixed. That said, cheap DAC chips might use lower precision arithmetic in order to save silicon space (and power). Good DACs have 32-bit filters whereas computers can easily use 64-bit precision, although the benefit of that is marginal at best. The main advantage of software is the flexibility it offers.

What about jitter?

Doesn't it get increasingly higher with higher sample rates?

What's the "current" limiting threshold for DSD? 

23 hours ago, Jud said:

I have seen ads for some boards from China - don't know if they're fully populated and what the quality might be.

Since schematics and (IIRC) suggested parts lists are available,  another possibility is to pay someone local with decent electronics skills to build one for you.

So the DSC1 really only exists as a design, not even a kit of parts?

I would have thought there'd be enough takers for a HQP-tailored DAC to make it worthwhile someone selling as a finished item.  I'd likely buy one.

4 hours ago, Norton said:

So the DSC1 really only exists as a design, not even a kit of parts?

With the proviso that hardware in some intermediate state may be available from China, yes, that's correct.

4 hours ago, Norton said:

I would have thought there'd be enough takers for a HQP-tailored DAC to make it worthwhile someone selling as a finished item.  I'd likely buy one.

A group buy of boards populated with the parts that would be more difficult to DIY has been discussed.  This would make it easier and cheaper to have some local person finish it.  And a group buy could include some or all other parts and a chassis, making up a kit.

But nothing's gone past the preliminary discussion stage.

On 5/29/2017 at 10:54 AM, mansr said:

Got any more insults while you're at it?

My sincere apology for being insulting. I was attempting to avoid an argument by authority and even if I felt insulted myself that is not an excuse for going on the attack -- I did not mean to denigrate your contributions, and I particularly respect your open source contributions. I do hope that these will continue to lead to commercial opportunities. My apologies.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

My sincere apology for being insulting. I was attempting to avoid an argument by authority and even if I felt insulted myself that is not an excuse for going on the attack -- I did not mean to denigrate your contributions, and I particularly respect your open source contributions. I do hope that these will continue to lead to commercial opportunities. My apologies.

Apology accepted.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

The list of DACs hasn't grown much, though:

- Phasure NOS1 DAC

- Teac UD-501 and UD-503

- Aqua DACs

- Lampizator DACs

41 minutes ago, semente said:

Thanks to everyone who participated.

The list of DACs hasn't grown much, though:

- Phasure NOS1 DAC

- Teac UD-501 and UD-503

- Aqua DACs

- Lampizator DACs

+ Esoteric DACS and players ( as per TEAC)

+ Mivera

+ Soekris 1541  (if there is filter off option, maybe?) 

iFi micro-iDSD can be used this way (I do).

7 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Jud, would you share more details what micro-iDSD settings you use? Thank you.

Probably the analogue filters?

Filters    
– PCM Bit-Perfect Processing/Minimum Phase/Standard Digital filters selectable
– DSD Extreme/Extended/Standard Range Analogue filters selectable
– DXD Bit-Perfect Processing Fixed analogue filter

• 4 months later...

Apparently here's another one for the list:

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R11/R2R11EN.htm

Audio-gd R2R 11

•True NOS , R-2R discrete ladder DAC
•Built in pre- and headhpone amp
•Built in 2 groups DA-8 R-2R modules with 450MHz ultra speed CPLD
•Unique noise process technology will remove any digital artifact
•DSD native , DXD, PCM up to 384KHz Support
•Amanero Combo 384 USB interface

On 30/05/2017 at 5:49 PM, semente said:

What about jitter?

Doesn't it get increasingly higher with higher sample rates?

What's the "current" limiting threshold for DSD? 

DSD noise shaping is always done at the A/D converter while at DAC side, LPF will reduce the ultrasonic noise. Two filters are available, 50kHz(narrow) and 100kHz(wide).