IGNORED

Which DACs bypass digital filtering?

I know iBasso portable music player added a selectable NOS filter through a firmware update. This almost seem like it would be a emulated filter instead of bypassing everything.

I remember reading Rob Watts of Chord Electronics talking about a lot of DAC's that use NOS are using a digital filter instead.

Something about the DAC needing good quality resistors to be able to do true NOS.

About the list; is there a reason for not include Totaldac? AFAIK all the models are r-2r ladder (with Vishay resistors) and natively NOS by nature but one can activate a software FIR in case of...Well... Fun? 

At least that's how it is with my d1 mk2. 

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

On 4/29/2021 at 6:43 AM, jparvio said:

About the list; is there a reason for not include Totaldac? AFAIK all the models are r-2r ladder (with Vishay resistors) and natively NOS by nature but one can activate a software FIR in case of...Well... Fun? 

At least that's how it is with my d1 mk2. 

I had TotalDAC and a few others before (in lighter gray - here) but ended up removing them some because they wouldn't take high rates and bit depth and/or others because their technical performance is not particularly outstanding.

Edit:

This is not a generic list of NOS DACs. As mentioned in the original post, this is a list of high-performance* commercial DACs that allow user to bypass digital filtering (NOS), leaving that task to a software music player such as HQ Player.

* - no TDA1543-based DACs, and only equipment which will take 24bit and sampling rates above 176.4/192kHz and perhaps DSD.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Denafrips DACs are disqualified, they're not NOS.

Updated list:

- Aqua DACs

- Armature (some models): Asterion (similar to Holo Spring) and Cronos (similar to Denafrips Ares)

- Audiobyte Vox

- Bricasti M21 and M3 (DSD-only)

- Esoteric (some models?)

- Holo Audio (some models)

- iFi micro (some models)

- Musician Audio

- Metrum Acoustics

- Phasure NOS1 DAC

- Singxer SDA-x family

- RME ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 Pro ADC/DAC

- Rockna DACs

- T+A (some models): DAC 8 DSD, SD 3100 HV, SDV 3100 HV, HA 200