IGNORED

Which DACs bypass digital filtering?

• 4 weeks later...

This dac splits the bits in 2, 12 bits going to 1 set of ladders 12 bits to the other. The least bits are raised up to avoid thermal noise, afterwards they are recombined with a logarithm in use to get 24 bits. Read the info for your self and draw you own conclusions. It's beyond me. I can understand the presentation but can't evaluate it, This technology was established at Metrum by Cees and improved on with the new design. I don't think he'd use a method that wasn't sound and didn't sound good too.

6 hours ago, opus101 said:

Quite likely they know nothing of FFT gain so they just read that figure off their FFT. It would equate to the noise in a rather narrow bandwidth, perhaps <1Hz. But without knowing parameters of the FFT (number of bins, windowing) its relatively a meaningless number.

I think it's safe to assume that I know nothing of FFT gain and that you know nothing of how the designer is handling it (or not) but I don't think it is safe to assume that the designer knows nothing of FFT gain after decades of work with dacs. A simple search finds a dozen well documented examples of the concept. Not really a foreign concept to someone who works in that field.