IGNORED

Tidal Loses CEO

I expect the change in CEO is directly related to Sprint's purchase of 33% of TIDAL.  I'm sure that Softbank wants their own guy leading the company.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With only 33% of the company?

Private equity typically gets to replace some board members with their own people even with a much smaller stake.  Softbank is now probably the largest single shareholder in TIDAL.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

11 minutes ago, james45974 said:

There is that audiophile conceit again of thinking that they are any kind of market or trend setters! ;)

I don't know where you got that from my post.  I was just talking about a business issue.

6 hours ago, mrvco said:

I've always been uneasy about Tidal's prospects.  The fact that they've survived this long continues to surprise me.

There are very deep pockets and very large egos (Jay Z) backing TIDAL.  Now with the $200 million Sprint investment, it's going to have to get more business discipline.  Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure joined TIDAL's board as part of the acquisition.

Pandora just got a $150 million investment from KKR.  Richard Sarnoff, KKR's head of media & communications private equity investing in the Americas, will join its board.

37 minutes ago, james45974 said:

I see what is happening in the video side of entertainment

The same thing is going on in video, really.  Most people watch horribly compressed HD from their cable TV provider or Netflix or HBO Now.  

When I rent a Blu-Ray from Redbox, it still asks me if I'm sure I want a Blu-Ray rather than a DVD.

• 5 weeks later...

CEO Westergren is out at Pandora.  This is likely due to the recent acquisition of a 19% stake by Sirius XM for $480 milllion.