IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: Rap of History Backwards The

Just now, Speed Racer said:

Considering the size of the white poplulation, why is that so hard to believe? And, what does that have to do with anything anyway?

It may reflect a life totally different than yours. But for the guys writing the words, and the community they come from, not so much. That's why the words are so vile.....it's how they actually think.

Wow.

P.S. Do you advocated against horror movies as well?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

24 minutes ago, firedog said:

If there is a large population in the US that is unable to use standard English when needed, that's a failure of the greater social system and the educational system. It's not BECAUSE of the language in hip hop songs.

Well, it sure isn't helping. These rich, successful rap stars are looked up to by kids who want to emulate them, including their speech patterns. While 'Lil Wayne may be able to read Shakespeare aloud with perfect elocution, I've never heard him do it, and neither have the impressionable kids who idolize him.

I'm not advocating censorship, but I am not sure that some young minds have the intellectual capacity to embrace the hip-hip culture for entertainment, then dismiss any influence on their real life.

54 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Well, it sure isn't helping. These rich, successful rap stars are looked up to by kids who want to emulate them, including their speech patterns. While 'Lil Wayne may be able to read Shakespeare aloud with perfect elocution, I've never heard him do it, and neither have the impressionable kids who idolize him.

I'm not advocating censorship, but I am not sure that some young minds have the intellectual capacity to embrace the hip-hip culture for entertainment, then dismiss any influence on their real life.

I was devoted to the Beatles as a child. I don't speak like a Liberpudlian. Neither do millions of British kids who worshipped the Beatles but didn't grow up in Liverpool and/or were raised in a home that spoke more standard British English. Embracing the entertainment culture of the time didn't necessarily determine speech patterns or other behaior. 

Again, humans aren't such simplistic mechanic devices as your statement seems to assume.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

Considering the size of the white poplulation, why is that so hard to believe? And, what does that have to do with anything anyway?

It may reflect a life totally different than yours. But for the guys writing the words, and the community they come from, not so much. That's why the words are so vile.....it's how they actually think.

Or not. How do you know? And who are "they"?

When George Harrison wrote "Pigigies" do you  really think he personally thought "they" need "a damn good whacking"? And that he was advocating that each member of his audience whack someone from the establishment.

I don't, and nothing in his life would make you think he did. 

Is it really hard to understand that song lyrics can be written in the same way as a work of fiction is? Do you ascribe every action of a character in a novel to the writer?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

You have apparently made quite a close study of the lives and psychology of the people involved and the lyrics, especially for someone who says he never listens to the stuff.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

37 minutes ago, firedog said:

Or not. How do you know? And who are "they"?

When George Harrison wrote "Pigigies" do you  really think he personally thought "they" need "a damn good whacking"? And that he was advocating that each member of his audience whack someone from the establishment.

I don't, and nothing in his life would make you think he did. 

Is it really hard to understand that song lyrics can be written in the same way as a work of fiction is? Do you ascribe every action of a character in a novel to the writer?

And then Bob Marley shot the sheriff, and that nasty Eric Clapton had to go and repeat it!  And glorify JJ Cale's druggie song, "Cocaine."

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm amazed that some of you guys think that parents can control how their kids think (if they even have two parents), or that young, unsophisticated minds are immune to the cutural barrage that they are constantly exposed to. 

I don't know many teenagers who listen to their parents when they are told, "don't experiment with drugs, don't drink, don't have sex, don't listen to that degenerate music, etc." I say that based on my own experience growing up, even though I turned out OK.

23 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

I'm amazed that some of you guys think that parents can control how their kids think (if they even have two parents), or that young, unsophisticated minds are immune to the cutural barrage that they are constantly exposed to. 

I don't know many teenagers who listen to their parents when they are told, "don't experiment with drugs, don't drink, don't have sex, don't listen to that degenerate music, etc." I say that based on my own experience growing up, even though I turned out OK.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  We human animals really want to find out for ourselves about all that stuff people who've already done it know is stupid or bad or dangerous.  But we somehow manage to survive and gain wisdom that will then be ignored by the next generation.

Look, I have a stepson, but he was 14 when I met his mom, and I had very little to do with forming his personality.  So take whatever I say with a pound of salt, because I haven't done it from the beginning.  I have this feeling our example and how we teach our kids in general - the "tool set" we give them - may be more important than specific pieces of advice, especially of the "thou shalt not" variety.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  We human animals really want to find out for ourselves about all that stuff people who've already done it know is stupid or bad or dangerous.  But we somehow manage to survive and gain wisdom that will then be ignored by the next generation.

Look, I have a stepson, but he was 14 when I met his mom, and I had very little to do with forming his personality.  So take whatever I say with a pound of salt, because I haven't done it from the beginning.  I have this feeling our example and how we teach our kids in general - the "tool set" we give them - may be more important than specific pieces of advice, especially of the "thou shalt not" variety.

Right. Your kids will learn by observing your behavior, not what you tell them, especially if you are yelling. I see my parents in myself as an adult, but emulating how they lived, not what they told me to do.

That is why I think kids are like sponges absorbing cultural stimuli, including films, music, and social media. Rap and other styles of music can potentially influence kids in a negative way. Remember the outcry over heavy metal and satanic themes, how some stupid teenagers commited suicide, etc? Nowadays, all this bad lyrical contents seems socially acceptable, even celebrated. I don't get it.

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

Ebonics has some superior abilities over std. English - e.g the ability to indicate a state of being, which English lacks.

What?  Is German better (Martin Heidegger - Being and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology)?

I mean, if we want to get pretentious, let's go all the way.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Right. Your kids will learn by observing your behavior, not what you tell them, especially if you are yelling. I see my parents in myself as an adult, but emulating how they lived, not what they told me to do.

That is why I think kids are like sponges absorbing cultural stimuli, including films, music, and social media. Rap and other styles of music can potentially influence kids in a negative way. Remember the outcry over heavy metal and satanic themes, how some stupid teenagers commited suicide, etc? Nowadays, all this bad lyrical contents seems socially acceptable, even celebrated. I don't get it.

Yeah, kids are typically more susceptible to taking on behavior and other things from their favorite celebrities too.  Kids are more easily manipulated because their brains aren't fully developed and things like drugs (pot) and alcohol have been know to stunt one's brain development, ability to fully mature, etc. etc. etc. So if you start using drugs or alcohol, that makes things even worse.

Kids typically go through the monkey see monkey do phase.  and some adults still act like kids because their drug and alcohol consumption didn't all them to fully mature. So you'll see people like Snoop Dogg still act like a child, even though he's an adult. Hence why some people might call him a ManChild.  A child in a man's body.  For many, they start going through their mid life crisis In their 40's or 50's trying to figure out who they are since they took on a lot of bullshit during their younger years and they want to find themselves.

1 hour ago, DRB100 said:

Ummm.  Really? OK.. Example?  

Are you a native English speaker?  Or have reading difficulties?

Here is my post again:

"Ebonics has some superior abilities over std. English - e.g the ability to indicate a state of being, which English lacks."

The term e.g. means (in English) "example given".  That is ("i.e.") the example is given right after the term e.g.

You can use Google to help you find some statements by linguists on the abilities of Ebonics, and what a "state of being" is in a language.  

• 2 weeks later...

This should please everyone here :~)

Jay Z becomes first rapper to be inducted into Songwriters Hall of Fame

Watch Barack Obama Honor Jay Z With Songwriters Hall of Fame Speech

"I'm pretty sure I'm still the only president to listen to Jay Z's music in the Oval Office," former president says

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...

MUSIC has real musicians playing musical instruments in it.

And vocalists that can really sing.

I find little of either in Rap / Hip Hop

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

MUSIC has real musicians playing musical instruments in it.

And vocalists that can really sing.

I find little of either in Rap / Hip Hop

Sal, I have a David Chesky record with two orchestral compositions. Both (except for some solo electric guitar in one), are played entirely on a synthesizer that has a bank of samples full of the actual sounds of all the instruments. No humans are involved in the playing. You feed the score in and it gets played as written.

The result is quite dramatic and emotional. 

Not music?

Yamaha has had those Disklaviers, which is a modern player piano, for many years where it will play what a musician performed and digitized.   But what's the fun of that?  And?  Chesky brought it down to charging people money to buy a CD of a computerized orchestra performing a score? He must be hurting for business if he resorts to doing that.

Go have top classical experts compare the computer version to a top recordings of a great performance by a top orchestra and see what they say.  Make sure they're blindfolded.

I wouldn't want to pay money to hear a computer replay someone else's score or performance.  Maybe that's why I stick to listening to music that has a lot of improvisational aspects to it.  Computers can't do that.

if you like listening to a computerized version of something, then that's your thing. It's certainly not mine.  Maybe you are starting to lack a soul.  Maybe that's the first sign.  :-)

2 minutes ago, DRB100 said:

Go have top classical experts compare the computer version to a top recordings of a great performance by a top orchestra and see what they say.  Make sure they're blindfolded.

Not sure this makes sense to me. You're saying it has to be approved by classical experts to be a good product or a product that someone else can like? 

I watched an excellent documentary on Netfilx called, "Take Me To The River". It focused on the Memphis music scene during the heydey of Stax/Volt and Hi Records. The producers were the sons of legendary producer Jim Dickinson.

They rounded up some of the old guard for a modern recording session, including music icons Bobby "Blue" Bland, Otis Clay, and William Bell. The idea was to rework some of the old classic songs, but overdub rappers for a modern twist. They got Snoop Dogg, and Cedric Coleman, who won the songwriting Academy Award for his unforgettable, "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp".

When they told Bobby Bland that they were going to overlay rapping on his vocal performance, you should have seen his face. He was... disturbed. Having dragged himself into the studio in his wheelchair, he tried to feign some enthusiasm, but to me he seemed insulted. He passed away shortly after the film was completed. I'm not saying that this incident contributed to his death, but it probably didn't help.