IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: Rap of History Backwards The

Love it when people dis rap as not music. Come on, not music. Really? Hip-hop is just a natural extension from jazz, blues, rock, etc. When rappers boast that he is the man, it's just like blues singers or Stevie Winwood boasting "I'm a Man". There is so much cool hip-hop out there in every single language. Just because you don't listen to Kendrick Lamar doesn't mean you don't like the genre. It's like you don't listen to Taylor Swift but still listen to the Beatles - it's pop music. You choose your favs.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Go listen to some lovely smooth jazz like Boney James or the Rippingtons and tell me that Rap is worth listening to....it's just demoralizing crap!   Definitely not entertainment....again just a bitch-fest with rotten language!

But I realize that's it my opinion only...FWIW.....

I get this was written to expose urban music, from a particular angle, to a group more likely to emit an "I'll come out there and thump your bass you little b3$tards!" than recognize a Public Enemy lyric in conversation.  So my only reason for commenting is Gil Scott Heron and specifically what the next generation did with his work.

Ok, with all due respect I think a more comprehensible subject from Mr. Klein would have the been burgeoning country sub-genre of "tractor rap" or alternately "Hick Hop".  Structurally the article remains in it's present shape, including historical references, but gains much in diverting the subject towards relevancy with his audience and his own cultural experiences.   

On 5/24/2017 at 6:58 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I purchased my first rap album when I was 11 years old in 1986  Run DMC's Raising Hell. The rap version of Aerosmith's Walk this Way got me interested.

Not to nitpick, but I think Run DMC's point was that Aerosmith's version of Walk this Way was rap. Back then, that very unifying point made a huge impression on lots of youngsters: Aerosmith turned out to be the gateway drug to rap for Millions of Young Honkies.

I also think many people miss the connection between rap/hip-hop and much funk in the early 70s. Here's a couple of examples from Funkadelic, from 72 and 75 respectively, "Loose Booty" and "Get Off Your --- And Jam" (the latter is most definitely NSFW).

On 5/25/2017 at 0:26 PM, Speed Racer said:

Let's not overstep here. Hip-Hop is nothing like Jazz, Blues, or even Rock musically.

That's simply not true, sorry. Since many hip-hop songs sample jazz music.

Just one example:

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

On 5/24/2017 at 5:19 PM, LarryMagoo said:

Rap is NOT music....Period....It's a bunch of crap from annoyed Millennials.  If you can't "hum it" it's not music.

it's just a bitch-fest that repeats the same message over and over again! 

This is the most ignorant comment I've seen on these forums.

26 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

This is the most ignorant comment I've seen on these forums.

Nah...it's just close minded which is Larry's right. It's a sentiment I understand since I really dislike rap/hip-hop. But I realize we are all different and when/where we were born dramatically affects our perceptions/opinions on this subject. So I give rap/hip-hop the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the "Is it music?" question as it is clearly music to some people.

25 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Nah...it's just close minded which is Larry's right. It's a sentiment I understand since I really dislike rap/hip-hop. But I realize we are all different and when/where we were born dramatically affects our perceptions/opinions on this subject. So I give rap/hip-hop the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the "Is it music?" question as it is clearly music to some people.

When he claims a genre invented 40 years ago is the music of "millennials," and that it "repeats the same message over and over again," he's not displaying close-mindedness. He's displaying a very high degree of ignorance.

He can say what he wants, and I can respond to it in kind.

Gil Scott Heron is definitely one of the pioneers of rap!  Love love loved his music right along with MC5, Iggy, and all the other many mold breakers that that something to SAY during that period. Saw Gil twice, once at student union at U of M in Ann Arbor and once in DC at a club when a whole car load of us were down there for a rally trying to get our boys out of Vietnam. Let's just say, he didn't mince words. 

David

On 5/25/2017 at 2:08 PM, LarryMagoo said:

Go listen to some lovely smooth jazz like Boney James or the Rippingtons and tell me that Rap is worth listening to....it's just demoralizing crap!   Definitely not entertainment....again just a bitch-fest with rotten language!

Lol!  Oh man, that is really funny. That Boney.....swoooooon......

David

On 5/25/2017 at 9:50 AM, jcbenten said:

Not sure if Rap is music but the Eminem show a couple of years ago at ACL was the best, most exciting show I had seen since Them Crooked Vultures back in 2009 (I attend every year...obviously miss some acts).  Eminem made Pearl Jam, who played the next night, boring.  I have gone back and looked at clips of the "great" rappers...boring. Kendrick Lamar at ACL last year...boring.  I fully expect Chance the Rapper this year will be ...boring.     

I agree. Eminem is one badass dude. I remember when I heard a song of his for the first time....it was like WTF?

David

Where to start?.... 

First of all, rap is just a style of singing. Is that what the article is all about? If so, I find this a little reductive. Rap has been around forever, yes. I could mention 10 other records with Rap (for example "Chocolate City").  However, when Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force came out with Planet Rock, no one had heard something similar before! 

Maybe what we should be talking about is hip hop music, and more broadly funk.