IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: Rap of History Backwards The

Rap and HipHop are genres I will never listen to as I don't enjoy the instrumentation nor the lyrics. More power to those that do like it.....I'll never get it. And I like aspects of all this stuff:

Alternative

Blues

Classical

Country

Dance

Easy Listening

Indie Pop

Inspirational (incl. Gospel)

Jazz

Latin

Musicals

New Age

Opera

Pop

R&B / Soul

Reggae

Rock

Singer / Songwriter (inc. Folk)

So don't label me a snob.

26 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

This is the most ignorant comment I've seen on these forums.

Nah...it's just close minded which is Larry's right. It's a sentiment I understand since I really dislike rap/hip-hop. But I realize we are all different and when/where we were born dramatically affects our perceptions/opinions on this subject. So I give rap/hip-hop the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the "Is it music?" question as it is clearly music to some people.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

Again, not saying you have to like it, but:

- Who invented fusion?  Miles Davis.

- Who did Miles Davis, inventor of fusion and one of the musical giants of the century, then go on to work with for his final album?  That's right, a hip-hop artist.  Good enough musical chops for Miles, good enough for me.

Well, let's no go overboard here. First of all, he wanted to capture some of the hip hop beats and use those in some new songs. That's a far cry from embracing Hip-Hop.

23 minutes ago, Jud said:

There's a guy rapping on the album, right?  Miles was planning on taking him on tour.

I saw Miles twice, and especially the second time, people were dancing their ass off.  He wasn't some withdrawn genius (though genius he was).  He wanted people, to use the title of one of his albums, to Get Up With It.

Excuse me. I forgot where I was. There is only one person who can be right here at Computer Audiophile and, of course, it is you.

Yes, of course, Miles was going to turn into a Hip-Hop artist. How could I have been so blind. 

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

Umm, 'cause he died?

Of course, I forgot you have a crystal ball too. Certainly Miles would have found commercial success with his Hip-Hop sound and were have made a dozen Hip-Hop infused albums. These albums would have been viewed as Miles' best work and the whole country would embrace the sound.

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

People shouldn't take music literally just like they don't take movies literally. Sure, some of it is autobiographical, but entertainers play characters and sing about fantasy most of the time. Marshall Matthers neighbors in Detroit think he is the nicest guy in town. When he raps, he is the character of Eminem. If we come down hard on rappers for the content of their raps, we must also come down hard on movie actors who portray characters we see as "wrong."

I completely disagree with this. The music of a people reflects much more closely on their feelings and attitudes than the movies they choose to attend.

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The largest consumers of rap music have traditionally been white kids from the suburbs. That included me back in the day. I listened the heck out of NWA's Straight Outta Compton. It reflected a totally different life from mine and at no time did I think it was good to kill cops or that the members of NWA were killing cops. I certainly listened to Fuck Tha Police many many times though.

Considering the size of the white poplulation, why is that so hard to believe? And, what does that have to do with anything anyway?

It may reflect a life totally different than yours. But for the guys writing the words, and the community they come from, not so much. That's why the words are so vile.....it's how they actually think.