IGNORED

DAC Advise - high end

Hi All,

I have been immensely enjoying my Luxman DA-06. 

At one stage I wanted to try something else and I put it up for sale in my local audio forum.

Didnt get much interest but now someone wants to buy it.

Iam not sure I can beat its performance at $3K

The Luxman is about 3 years old so technology has come a long way ?

What at should I try, open to buying used.

9 hours ago, ecwl said:

You can try Chord Hugo 2 which I admit I haven't heard. It'll be a bit of a chore to set it up as a desktop DAC since it's meant to be a portable DAC. I think all the other suggestions sound great as they represent different design philosophies with different DAC sounds in the same price range.

I have heard the Hugo not the 2 and am not a huge fan. I used to own the mojo.

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

While there have been many reviews out rating the Holo Spring "Kitsune Edition, There is almost no info out there about  this one. It appears to be an upgraded  standard Holo Spring (not the current top "Kitsune" version)  from a company called Wildism Audio HK. Oddly, the upgrades seem to be tied mostly to the AES input?  I found their page, with no information on pricing noting the following:

HOLO Audio’s Spring DAC- This model "Wild Stage Special Edition" is a final & fully upgrade from us- Wildism Audio HK

It has Jensen Cap PSU & 4N Pure Silver O shape transformer upgrade,plus the highest model pure silver digital transformer AudioNote trans-280  (for AES input only)

Base on level 3 jensen cap + pure silver transformer

+ AudioNote Top Model Trans-280 Pure Silver digital isolation transformer(FOR AES USE ONLY)
+AC input Jensen Ceramic Tube Cap (TOP MODEL of Jensen) 
+ Xsymphony Classic 801 Pure Silver Wire IEC to control board
+ Take out all the plastic plug in the main part

Patented R2R technology. A combination of Segmented and Trimming technology for ultimate music reproduction accuracy. Dual R2R network for PCM, and Dual R2R network for DSD!

It's actually a level 4.

They do offer the level 3 same as the Kitsune edition but not including the upgraded fuse.

7 hours ago, Johnseye said:

The Benchmark DAC3 is out.  I would suggest auditioning that next to the Holo before you make any decision.

Benchmark has a 30 day trial period.

Iam not after clinical DACs. I want Music to sound like music not too fussed about detail.

6 hours ago, Nouchka said:

I would suggest you to try a AUDIO-GD NOS7, I own one and this is really good.

OK This is chinese, but a very good product, hand build and 10 years warranty

That's nice, really cool line of products.

The Audio gd dac 19 dsp was my first desktop dac many years back.

Its when I realised what a dedicated DAC can do to your music.

Its been a long journey since, nothing against the audio gd products they offer excellent value for money.

Dollar for Dollar you get most parts in their systems.

Sound wise I found the dac 19 a little flat and narrow compared to higher end DACs but certainly awesome overall.

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Benchmark's goal is to lower the noise and distortion allowing you to hear the actual music.  Not sure why doing that would be clinical or hearing more of the actual recording is a bad thing but to each their own.  If you don't like neutrality then then you're looking for a color that your ear likes. Nothing wrong with that and plenty of flavors out there.

Definitely,

it's not only important to get awesome specs, that is only the piece of the puzzle.

What one needs is a close to real representation of the actual recording that only some DACs can do.

Most of them are R2R NOS.