IGNORED

DAC Advise - high end

Hi All,

I have been immensely enjoying my Luxman DA-06. 

At one stage I wanted to try something else and I put it up for sale in my local audio forum.

Didnt get much interest but now someone wants to buy it.

Iam not sure I can beat its performance at $3K

The Luxman is about 3 years old so technology has come a long way ?

What at should I try, open to buying used.

You can try Chord Hugo 2 which I admit I haven't heard. It'll be a bit of a chore to set it up as a desktop DAC since it's meant to be a portable DAC. I think all the other suggestions sound great as they represent different design philosophies with different DAC sounds in the same price range.

Would definitely try out a Crane Song Solaris. Mastering engineers on the mastering forum on gearslutz swear by them - worth reading some of the discussions there (e.g. Google " dangerous convert-2 vs crane song Solaris") Crane song is a well respected  company in the high end studio recording equipment industry. Right within your price bracket. Check out the measured jitter performance!!!!

9 hours ago, ecwl said:

You can try Chord Hugo 2 which I admit I haven't heard. It'll be a bit of a chore to set it up as a desktop DAC since it's meant to be a portable DAC. I think all the other suggestions sound great as they represent different design philosophies with different DAC sounds in the same price range.

I have heard the Hugo not the 2 and am not a huge fan. I used to own the mojo.

My opinion is if you're not willing to lift a finger to do a little research on your own why would a bunch of strangers want to help you. You're best to do your own research on this. In fact, why wouldn't you instead of taking the subjective opinion of a bunch of strangers? Could be that's what most people expect you to do, that's why there is no response. At best you'll get 20 opinions from 20 posters and you'll still have to make up your own mind, unless you want someone to do that for you.

3 hours ago, alice said:

OK, seems this thread has gone dead, guys an further recommendations ?

Another suggestion to try: Dangerous Music Convert-2. (In my room with a pair of Geithein RL906 speakers it makes beautiful holographic magic happen. The musicians often seem to be present in the room - the phantom centre is so solid it's uncanny. Very entertaining.)

On 5/22/2017 at 1:10 AM, TubeLover said:

The Holo DAC is very respected and almost certainly a fine choice. However, the opportunity to try the Yggdrasil in your home, attached to your system, with Schiit's 15 day money back guarantee is one I do not think I would pass up.

JC

+1

I like the Crane Song Solaris suggestion.

Maybe a Benchmark DAC2 HGC since you want DSD and the Benchmark has that.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On 5/21/2017 at 9:09 PM, alice said:

Was thinking about the HOLO DAC and the Yggdrasil even though it doesn't have DSD

I have the yggdrasil, it's coming up on 84 hours of burn in and sound that's coming out of this thing now is just staggering. Definitely give this the 15 day demo, you won't be sending it back I can l almost guarantee Also check out The latest absolute sound ,Robert Harley has a review, I think it's on their website.