IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

1 hour ago, SWL3600 said:

Could someone please give me the Amazon link to the Y-cable so that I can power both my ISO-REGEN and a future Microrendu from my LPS-1.

Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

You can either get an inexpensive ‘Y’ cable from Amazon similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IKRE/
or get fancy and get a custom one from Ghent Audio in China (https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc11.html).  5.5mm x 2.1mm all the way around is what you want.

This above reminds me that Alex is the master of plug sizes & procurement locales!

By chance, Alex, you wouldn't have noted the required size for WD hard drive power plugs? - seem to be all the same going back years ... 5.5x2.1 doesn't go, so adaptor of some kind coming up.

/& then I need to check my router plug ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

22 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

This above reminds me that Alex is the master of plug sizes & procurement locales!

Sounds like he's in a different industry. 9_9

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Does anyone have any experience with the benefits of the IsoRen with an EMM Labs DA2 DAC?

I've used it with my Meitner XDS1V2 with great results but the dig input board has been greatly changed on the new DA2.  The DA2 also offers galvanic iosolation.  I will try it as soon as i get my new DA2 but was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with these two products.  Thanks

I purchased and recently received an ISO Regen from Uptone's website.  I am having an issue that only began after installing the devise. My setup is as follows:

Windows 10 laptop Core i5 - Curious USB Cable - ISO Regen (with standard power supply) - Curious USB Regen Link - Concero HD DAC - Audioquest Water RCA cables - Schiit Jotenheim Amp - Audioquest Nighthawks/HD 800 headphones.

When I have the switch on the Regen in the "I" position, I will lose power to the DAC after 2-3 songs.  After 5-10 minutes, power will come back then go out again. I am unable to use the Regen in the "I" position. I tried replacing the DAC by using the Jot's internal DAC and am having the same issue consistently. 

The only way I can use the Regen with either DAC is when it's switched to the "NO" position which is in effect turning off the galvanic isolation. 

I just purchased an LPS-1 power supply yesterday hoping that may fix.

Anyone with same issue or recommended fix?  Would hate to have to return item. 

On 09/10/2017 at 5:28 PM, jamesg11 said:

By chance, Alex, you wouldn't have noted the required size for WD hard drive power plugs? - seem to be all the same going back years ... 5.5x2.1 doesn't go, so adaptor of some kind coming up.

/& then I need to check my router plug ...

Follow up - both my hard drives & router smps must require a 2.1x5.1mm plug? ie my 2.1x5.5 plug (standard for Uptone etc) from the lpsu won’t fit their sockets, but the reverse is fine.

Locally can’t find an adaptor - hints online?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Yep, done that & hence the post ... does 2.1x5.1 exist as a plug size?

This area is a minefield !

I am having similar problems with plugs from Li Ion batteries etc. that will properly fit a Regen, but try and use  a socket from a local supplier that should be a perfect fit going by the specs ,and it may not even fit in.

Next time I go to Altronics in Sydney I will take a lead with me with one of these plugs on it, and try their various sockets hoping to find proper fitting sockets. Try searching on ebay for suitable types of sockets. There is no guarantee that what you receive will be compatible !.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

This area is a minefield !

I am having similar problems with plugs from Li Ion batteries etc. that will properly fit a Regen, but try and use  a socket from a local supplier that should be a perfect fit going by the specs ,and it may not even fit in.

Next time I go to Altronics in Sydney I will take a lead with me with one of these plugs on it, and try their various sockets hoping to find proper fitting sockets. Try searching on ebay for suitable types of sockets. There is no guarantee that what you receive will be compatible !.

I bought this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263170647576

It has 28 adapters, all of which have a 5.5x2.1 jack and a different plug. There is a good probability one of these will fit almost any situation.

John S.

11 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Follow up - both my hard drives & router smps must require a 2.1x5.1mm plug? ie my 2.1x5.5 plug (standard for Uptone etc) from the lpsu won’t fit their sockets, but the reverse is fine.

Locally can’t find an adaptor - hints online?

John's e-Bay link has more adaptors, but here is another source for an adapter set:

https://www.powerstream.com/dc-tips2.htm

Id give an Amazon link, but pretty much all the sets there have 5.5mm x 2.5mm as the back end female inlet--whereas the links John and I just provided have 5.5mm x 2.1mm inlets.  BTW, the small set that comes with the iFi iPower also has 5.5mm x 2.1mm inlets.  

Thanks for the info John and Alex, but rather than wait weeks with ebay, I will see if I can buy over the counter, suitable sockets of the same dimensions that you use in the Regen which are a perfect fit with the Li Ion batteries etc.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Thanks John & Alex, so I ‘worked out’ from this above that I most likely need a 2.1x5.0mm plug (how do you measure such!), which Alex’s link doesn’t have & John’s link does - but they don’t deliver to Aust ... grrr ...

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Thanks for the info John and Alex, but rather than wait weeks with ebay, I will see if I can buy over the counter, suitable sockets of the same dimensions that you use in the Regen which are a perfect fit with the Li Ion batteries etc.

If you find one of mine, let me know - as you say searching isn’t much help really!

Think I’ll start a new thread - where in the accessible world is my 2.1x5.5mm socket to 2.1x5.0 plug adaptor(s)?

Since my last post I have been LOVING listening via the ISO Regen! Bass is out of this world, and a very coherent sound.

May have to see if there's any additional gains to be had from the combo of Audirvana+ via ISO Regen and microRendu, but I'm really not in any hurry to do anything but listen to music, and try to add new favorites albums and artists to the list.

BTW, the St. Vincent's Masseduction - awesome. Bought tickets and going to see her in January!

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

14 hours ago, watercourse said:

Since my last post I have been LOVING listening via the ISO Regen! Bass is out of this world, and a very coherent sound.

May have to see if there's any additional gains to be had from the combo of Audirvana+ via ISO Regen and microRendu, but I'm really not in any hurry to do anything but listen to music, and try to add new favorites albums and artists to the list.

BTW, the St. Vincent's Masseduction - awesome. Bought tickets and going to see her in January!

Thanks for your follow-up post.  Glad you are enjoying the ISO REGEN so much.

And congrats on getting tickets to see St. Vincent!  I have one of her first albums but don't listen to it often.  Just now listened to all the track samples (at Amazon) of the new Masseduction you mentioned.  It's like a cross between Kate Bush and Fiona Apple.  Very fun. B|

My wife (and I) are fans of The Avett Brothers, and I just found out they are coming to Fresno in March (decent acts rarely come to Fresno--which is our nearest truly large city), and tix go on sale this Friday.  Marked may calendar to see if I can actually get regular tickets instead of being fleeced by StubHub (won't tell you how much I paid for a pair of seats to see Peter Gabriel & Sting together in Tahoe last year!).

Hoping to surprise my wife with good seats.

39 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Thanks for your follow-up post.  Glad you are enjoying the ISO REGEN so much.

And congrats on getting tickets to see St. Vincent!  I have one of her first albums but don't listen to it often.  Just now listened to all the track samples (at Amazon) of the new Masseduction you mentioned.  It's like a cross between Kate Bush and Fiona Apple.  Very fun. B|

My wife (and I) are fans of The Avett Brothers, and I just found out they are coming to Fresno in March (decent acts rarely come to Fresno--which is our nearest truly large city), and tix go on sale this Friday.  Marked may calendar to see if I can actually get regular tickets instead of being fleeced by StubHub (won't tell you how much I paid for a pair of seats to see Peter Gabriel & Sting together in Tahoe last year!).

Hoping to surprise my wife with good seats.

Missed the Avett Brothers at the Fox in Oakland when I was still in SF.

Annie Clark is a monster on the guitar, if you haven’t already, check out her collaboration with David Byrne.

Speaking of SF, listening to music has gotten me through a tough week of watching the wildfires from afar, wringing my hands with worry over friends that had to evacuate, and thinking about all those beautiful oak woodlands... so thanks for that too.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

3 minutes ago, watercourse said:

Speaking of SF, listening to music has gotten me through a tough week of watching the wildfires from afar, wringing my hands with worry over friends that had to evacuate, and thinking about all those beautiful oak woodlands... so thanks for that too.

Yes, it has been a really tragic year of fire here in California.  And just this weekend we moved my mother and step-father (both in their early 80s) into a house of my brother's in just-spared Petaluma.  They unloaded the moving truck wearing respiration masks due to the awful smoke.  And our daughter and here friend are just now renting a house in Santa Rosa--the west side, which was spared.

My heart--and several donations--goes out to all who lost their home and/or loved ones. :(

Hi Alex

I have found through experimentation that my USB chain (Bryston BDP2>SBooster VBus2 Isolator> LSH USB > Amber regen > Curious Link> DAC) really requires the Booster VBus2 isolator in place for the best sound quality.  My DAC requires USB power and so the Amber Regen is a perfect way to re-insert power just before the DAC and leave out the 5 volt power in the cable.

In my system, the isolation provided by the ISO Regen makes little difference compared to preventing the 5 volts flowing through the cable.  But I still would like to use the ISO Regen with isolation turned off as an Uber-regen (as I understand the clock in the ISO Regen is very good). 

When I turned off isolation on the ISO regen, I simplemindedly expected the ISO regen to not require 5 volt USB power upstream, but this does not appear to be the case, it appears that the 5 volts upstream of the ISO Regen (with ISO=Off) is still required.  Am I correct and is this as designed?

Thanks Barry

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I promise we have more surprises in store. 9_9

Even tiny hints, and/or perhaps photos of the updated production area would be of interest to many members.

Do you have any recent photos of your products being tested before despatch ?

Hi Alex

You seem pretty well organised !

Kind Regards

Alex

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, jamesg11 said:

Yep, done that & hence the post ... does 2.1x5.1 exist as a plug size?

Hi James

I visited Altronics in Sydney today , and the insulated socket at the link accepts LI Ion battery plugs properly, as well as the plug that I use which is an O.K. fit for the USB Regen.

Regards

Alex

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0629-2.5mm-female-plastic-chassis-mount-dc-power-socket/