IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

9 minutes ago, Dougster said:

Thanks for the welcome! My 750D has the updated USB using XMOS XS1 microprocessor as an input receiver, allowing for fully asynchronous data communication. This produced a big improvement from the original input board.

interested in any further comments!

EST = Esbjorn Svenson Trio - classic Nordic Jazz combo!

Excellent on all counts.  Thanks!  :)

14 hours ago, Superdad said:

"As intended?"  Really Larry?  I think I should start a new thread just for people like you who find use for our devices in their bizarre and confusing audio systems. xD

Just don't try to plug the thing into your cat.  I am not responsive for scratches--even if they were galvanically isolated!

(Can you tell its Friday for me after a very long week? O.o)

Trust me Alex, once you hear my "bizarre and confusing" audio system, you will be sending me money for a change! ?

Of course, I couldn't have done it without you.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi Alex,

Suggestion. 

Please start a new thread for cables able to power two devices from the LPS-1 at the same time ( example mRendu and IsoRegen). There is the DIY thread but many of us are not able to go that route. I am sure that the issue will come up quite often going forward.

Thanks,

Bob

15 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Hi Alex,

Suggestion. 

Please start a new thread for cables able to power two devices from the LPS-1 at the same time ( example mRendu and IsoRegen). There is the DIY thread but many of us are not able to go that route. I am sure that the issue will come up quite often going forward.

Thanks,

Bob

If you are at least comfortable stripping some wire and using a screwdriver then you can cobble together a Y cable.  Get some Canare 4S6 cable and the 2.1mm DC plugs with screw terminals and you can make the cable in 5 mins.

Btw, powering my SU-1 and IsoRegen from the same LPS-1 did not sound as good as powering them separately.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, mozes said:

I posted this on another thread but it belongs here:

I received my Iso-Regen yesterday and plugged it between my Nimitra and tX-USBultra. I powered it by LPS-1 and gave it 5 min to warm up as I couldn't wait more.

All I can say is that the IR+tX is a match made in heaven.

My system sounded amazing with the tX only, but with the IR in front of the tX it sounds like OMG! Just another level altogether.

No need to go specific, simply everything is better

Muy interesante!

2 hours ago, bobflood said:

That's a good suggestion.

The Y-cable I tried was this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q8IKRE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lq7izbY15BKSJ

along with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017C5JQ1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xr7izb5CFEAFJ

Cheap to try, but NOT a good way to go IMHO.  

I've settled on powering the ISO REGEN with the LPS-1 and the mR with the 2nd rail of the JS-2 set to 7v.  It sounds fantastic.

I must say that UpTone has hit another home run with the ISO REGEN.  Yes, it most certainly makes reproduced music sound more like the real thing when used after a microRendu.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Any impression for ISO Regen + Mutec MC-3+ USB yet? I am VERY VERY interested. Thank you so much :) I wounder how the ISO Regen will improve the sounds which I have read impression else where that the original REGEN did not have much effect on USB input of the MC-3+.

Thanks for sharing.

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@Kritpoon I think the only 100% correct answer to that is to test yourself in your setup and if needed, use the 30 day money back guarantee ?

@R1200CL didn't know about 30 days money back guaranteed. I think I'll try soon. Thanks you for pointing that out.

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

Well, my first Iso Regen was one of the few that didn't meet the QC, and the mismatch with Berkeley Alpha USB was a disaster. After the failed experiment I removed the two previous (Amber) Regens to go directly from the Mac Mini to the Alpha USB, finding the sound to be more direct, crisp, yet relaxed. Meanwhile, Alex very kindly sent along a second ISO Regen, bearing the priority postage cost himself (I covered the difference for moving up to Fedex).

The sound is, in a word, fantastic. And I have very few hours on it yet. Alas, travel for several weeks at end of month, but shall come back and write in greater detail about what I find captivating about the music as well as sound. 

Two points/queries: 1. There are occasional dropouts, but there is no need to reset anything, just return to Audirvana again: Is this because of the implementation of the ISO Regen? 2. At what voltage should I have the second rail of the JS-2 feed the LPS-1 that powers the Iso Regen? At the moment, it is 9 V, would going down to 7V have any advantages. 

At any rate, thanks so much Alex and John.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

11 minutes ago, sdube said:

Well, my first Iso Regen was one of the few that didn't meet the QC, and the mismatch with Berkeley Alpha USB was a disaster. After the

The sound is, in a word, fantastic. And I have very few hours on it yet. Alas, travel for several weeks at end of month, but shall come back and write in greater detail about what I find captivating about the music as well as sound. 

Two points/queries: 1. There are occasional dropouts, but there is no need to reset anything, just return to Audirvana again: Is this because of the implementation of the ISO Regen?

Very glad it is working out for you @sdube and that you are enjoying the music!

The replacement you were sent was tested on the analyzer to be data-perfect, so any "drop outs" you get are not a function of the ISO REGEN.  I have heard that the Berkeley Alpha can be a bit fussy.  Its entire USB input stage is bus-powered, not that that necessarily has anything to do with it.  Do e-mail me when you return from your travels and we can talk about experiments you might try.

11 minutes ago, sdube said:

2. At what voltage should I have the second rail of the JS-2 feed the LPS-1 that powers the Iso Regen? At the moment, it is 9 V, would going down to 7V have any advantages. 

Actually, for "energizing"/charging the LPS-1 (from the JS-2) in your case, a 12V setting will have the LPS-1 drawing the least amount of current from your JS-2 (about 1.5A peak).  While this will make ZERO difference to the output of the LPS-1 or to SQ, it will allow your JS-2 to both run cooler and will leave more of its 7-amp total current capability available for whatever you are primarily using it for (a Mac mini in your case if I recall).

Thanks so much, Alex. Yes, it is a Mac Mini, Uptoned and all.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Actually, for "energizing"/charging the LPS-1 (from the JS-2) in your case, a 12V setting will have the LPS-1 drawing the least amount of current from your JS-2 (about 1.5A peak).  While this will make ZERO difference to the output of the LPS-1 or to SQ, it will allow your JS-2 to both run cooler and will leave more of its 7-amp total current capability available for whatever you are primarily using it for (a Mac mini in your case if I recall).

So for using the JS-2 for both macmini & LPS-1, set both to 12V.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Well, it was one of the few faulty IRs, and there was crackling noise and nothing-but data-dropouts on the Alpha USB. But with a new IR, all is working splendidly.

16 hours ago, rickca said:

What was the nature of the problem?  I have a Berkeley Alpha USB and it worked fine with the original REGEN.  Is there something about the ISO REGEN that makes the combination more problematic?

Well, it was one of the few faulty IRs, and there was crackling noise and nothing-but data-dropouts on the Alpha USB. But with a new IR, all is working splendidly.

Hi Alex, I just joined CA here and I am waiting for my iso regen to arrive.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, just a quick question that I have in mind, I am currently using a relatively old DAC - the Jeff rowland aeris, which runs in adaptive mode for USB, would it be better if there's a DDC (currently target to get an affordable ifi ilink DDC) sitting in between the DAC and iso regen or should I plug the iso regen straight into the DAC?

Many thanks in advance

Innuos Zen Mini Mk2 --> uptone ISO regen/LPS-1 --> Weiss Int 204/ifi ipower 9V --> Jeff Rowland Aeris/PSU --> Jeff Rowland Corus/PSU --> Jeff Rowland 625 --> ProAc Supertower MK2

Cables: chord company/wireworld/oyaide

36 minutes ago, Ricky B said:

I'm sure this will be in the past soon so i can rave as everyone else is doing

Alex has a new protocol analyzer now to further enhance his QA process.  Nobody is better at customer service than Alex.  I'm expecting a replacement once the next batch of boards arrives.  I'm still very excited this product is finally in production.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's