IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

4 hours ago, bmnathe said:

With my iso regen in the chain, I lose USB connection to my DAC after some time.  I remedy this simply by unplugging/replugging the iso regen.

My chain is: MBP > IR > SU-1 > Holo Spring > amp

Both your Mac laptop and the (bus-powered and post-XMOS digitally isolated) USB input of the SU-1 lack much of a earth ground reference.  The disconnects are due to static build-up on the ISO REGEN's Silanna galvanic isolation chip.  Please read this post and experiment from there:

On 7/25/2018 at 5:52 AM, bmnathe said:

update - grounding the IR's USB output did not help - any other ideas?

Offered as a very long shot since our systems are different. After having tried a number of IR grounding configurations that didn't solve the problem with galvanic isolation enabled, I determined that strain on the laptop-to-IR USB cable was causing the connector at either the laptop output or IR input end of the cable to disengage just enough to result in a signal dropout, prompting a flashing "USB Disconnected" message on my TEAC DAC's display. Moving the laptop and DAC/IR closer together so the USB cable has more slack has eliminated the dropouts. 

I'm thinking about getting the iso regen. A quick question. Many talk about using IR in a chain with microrendu. Don't they kind of do the same thing? What is the theory behind chaining them? 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

I have a mR and a IR and a MUTEC MC3+ in my chain. The idea is to clean up the signal even further, and apparently the more you reclock a signal the more clean it gets. IR does also have the advantage to galvanically isolate the downstream chain of components. The absolutely extreme settings are to have (modified) router, end point and all reclockers and perhaps even the dac being fed by a super exact master clock.

I'm trying to clean up my USB signal. Current chain Alienware R7 (don't laugh) -> Paul Pang V2 USB card with ifi ipower -> Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Susvara. It seems like adding an iso regen with a LPS is the best next step. I don't want to go too crazy. I was also thinking about microrendu, ultrarendu, SoTM SM200, or get a better USB card like JCAT Femto. I don't want add multiple parts. 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

17 minutes ago, gordec said:

I'm trying to clean up my USB signal. Current chain Alienware R7 (don't laugh) -> Paul Pang V2 USB card with ifi ipower -> Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Susvara. It seems like adding an iso regen with a LPS is the best next step. I don't want to go too crazy. I was also thinking about microrendu, ultrarendu, SoTM SM200, or get a better USB card like JCAT Femto. I don't want add multiple parts. 

• 1 Signature  SE from Sonore. Yes crazy price 
  • 2 UltraRendu 
  • 3 MicroRendu version 1.4
  • 3 MicroRendu 1.3 with ISO Regen
  • 4 MicroRendu 1.3

All Rendu with LPS-1.2 of cause. 

Not 100% sure about 3 vs 4. But according to @Superdad you almost get an UltraRendu with the no 3. Well I think you end up same price as well ?

SoTM is good as well according to reviews.

I assume you’re not using Roon. 

The Rendus give you good options of interfaces. 

Also using an endpoint will lift you SQ guaranteed. 

Must likely more than only the IR. 

And don’t forget to add the USPCB. 

45 minutes ago, gordec said:

I'm trying to clean up my USB signal. Current chain Alienware R7

I'm also using a non audio optimized pc in an enviroment with lots of other electronics and the iso regen with lps 1.2 was of a huge benefit to my system, with the addition of the topaz ultra isolator line noise suppressor.  Completely isolating the system this way worked perfectly.  After the iso regen my dac has an amanero usb to i2s board with another isolator on the i2s side, so the board is powered by the lps1.2 as well.

5 minutes ago, Bdht said:

I'm also using a non audio optimized pc in an enviroment with lots of other electronics and the iso regen with lps 1.2 was of a huge benefit to my system, with the addition of the topaz ultra isolator line noise suppressor.  Completely isolating the system this way worked perfectly.  After the iso regen my dac has an amanero usb to i2s board with another isolator on the i2s side, so the board is powered by the lps1.2 as well.

That sounds like a plan. Get an iso regen + LPS. I may be done. The current set up sounds pretty good as is. How do you set up the Topax isolater? Right now I still have like 6 thing all plugged into a surge protector.?

2 minutes ago, gordec said:

How do you set up the Topax isolater?

If you get one thats pre wired you just plug everything in nice n n simple.  If you get one with terminals you need to add an input(with fuse if its a smaller unit) and outlet(s).  Wiring 120v in and 120v out is simple though.  You can get affordable used and new smaller units from radwell if you cant find a good one on ebay.  I got a 91092-32 off ebay for my main system for $50 shipped and a 91092-12 off radwell new for $130 shipped for my work system.

2 hours ago, gordec said:

I had the PPV2 also but now use this setup and highly recommend it (links are USPCBs):

PC->ISO Regen<one LPS 1.2>uRendu!

1 minute ago, bit01 said:

I had the PPV2 also but now use this setup and highly recommend it:

PC->ISO Regen<LPS 1.2>uRendu!

Is the PPV2 unnecessary once you get IR and uRendu? You can run it out of any USB port and get the same result?

8 minutes ago, gordec said:

Is the PPV2 unnecessary once you get IR and uRendu? You can run it out of any USB port and get the same result?

I am not using it anymore - I found using the PC motherboard USB port into the above setup to be better (esp the low end) by a margin! This was further improved (esp. the sound stage resolution) by using the DC Power cable  SUPRA  CAT8 on the uR  and Ugreen flat CAT7 on the IR! USB Links are USPCBs.

5 minutes ago, bit01 said:

In case I confused some - between the IR and the uR I have an Anker USB/Ethernet adapter. Needless to say, SQ results may be hardware and environment specific - so best to try it out yourself.

How do you go PC -> IR -> UR? PC USB to IR. IR only has USB out right, and UR can only accept ethernet?  So you need to go network -> UR -> IR? Sorry this is all new to me.

2 hours ago, gordec said:

How do you go PC -> IR -> UR? PC USB to IR. IR only has USB out right, and UR can only accept ethernet?  So you need to go network -> UR -> IR? Sorry this is all new to me.

Correct. If you are using a PC's USB out then UltrRendu does not play a part in this scheme because as you say, it only accepts ethernet traffic via RJ45 connection and serialises the signal into its UCB out. An ISO Regen could go after the UltraRendu but not before.

I hope this clarifies.

Regards

GG

9 hours ago, gordec said:

uR->IR did not do anything for me. What works for me is to use the IR to clean the PC USB then convert it to ethernet using the Anker (or Apple) USB to Ethernet converter unit. I use the PC in bridged mode (main LAN to secondary ethernet for the uR) . I find it better than the direct ethernet switch to uR connection.

LAN switch->PC->IR->Anker (USB to Ethernet)->uR->DAC

You may want to have a read through  the thread (esp first few pages):

Hope that clarifies it somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a PS Audio Directstream and ISORegen user around here? :D

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker