IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

My ISO Regen arrived today (thanks Alex and co) and I will put it through its paces starting tonight (worst case tmrw).  I wanted to say that I was not paying attention when the USPCB was announced and did not realize it has an onboard VBus switch.  Nice touch!

• 4 weeks later...

The microRendu (or any other renderer or network audio adapter) is not optional if one needs one.  You can't just remove it, you'd then have to compare the sound of another renderer in the mix, or another part of you signal path acting as a renderer (or NAA).  If you can just as well listen to hirez audio without having to have a physical renderer device in line, then by all means do it.....but your question above did not ask to compare those, it simply asked microRendu or none...which is not really vaild.

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

the IR is being powered by an LPS-1 and the SU-1 is being powered by its own internal power supply (Tim's mod is to the internal power supply mainly). Both are plugged into a Topaz transformer as all my stuff is (except amps). 

I do have a Paul Hynes SR7EHD that is adjustable from about 9v to 19v.  Paul just sent me a new umbilical for my preamp but after trying it there i may dial it down to 9v and try it on the IR while then installing the dc kit on the SU1 for the LPS1.  Id hate to leave an expensive Hynes ps on the sidelines as i have for some time now.  

I own an a y cable Uptone recommended so i could also try the LPS1 for BOTH units but it seems the feedback is often less than stellar.

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes Ted, it is true that many more variables would be involved.  But given the premise of the ISO REGEN--galvanic isolation, super-clocking, high signal integrity--and especially when used with an even further isolating LPS-1, I think @timtom question is a valid one and on a lot of people's minds.

OK I will revisit this one more time, and explain my reaction. 

In my system I take full advantage of the "N" in NAA, and have my HQP server in a totally remote location in my home (for many reasons).  My NAAs (microRendu and Windows Server 2012R1 NAA) are local, connected via ethernet/fiber of course, to my main rig, with a short USB cable (someday all USPCB :) ) to my dac setup (SU-1, etc etc).  When Timtom asked if one could just remove a microRendu from the microrendu-IR-dac and report back, I responded that something like that is not possible (taken literally).  I explained then that something else (in my case it would be moving my powerful server to my music room) must take its place, and since that would require many variables it wouldn't be a simple comparison of microRendu vs no-microRendu.

That's all I meant.  I meant no disrespect, no flippancy, nothing except....."you need to replace the microrendu with something, such as going direct".

And yes, Alex, I can imagine that going direct and using the special magic that the IR (and LPS1) gives you would be a real option for many folks!  (Thumps up icon, if I had one).