IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

Hi Alex,

I have to admit that a headphones setup is not the best for assessing changes to things such as sound stage and imaging, and often in the past I had to listen very carefully and extensively to pick out the differences after applying a tweak, but not this time.  After the ISO REGEN got installed the changes I heard in my headphones setup were not subtle (sorry for the cliche, is this an audiophile meme yet?  :D)

I have an outstanding offer to Ted to mod his SU-1 with polymer caps and super-regulator (to replace that mediocre LD1086).  I can certainly do the same for your SU-1 as well.  Just give the word.  I'm about to order a Sparkos Labs SS1117XX discrete regulator for my own SU-1, and can order another one for yours (and save on the shipping).

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Great to read your impressions!

But - didn't you have an Aries-based setup? Did you switch to a direct-USB HQPlayer-based setup while I wasn't paying attention? :D I'm curious how it sounds on a endpoint/renderer/NAA setup.

And - any comparison to previous USB decrapifiers - Intona, RUR, Regen, ...?

I still have my Aries Femto / Vega combo which has been the reference for my headphones setup.  I just haven't listened to it for a bit, having been too distracted by my Spring DAC, Singxer SU-1 and now the ISO REGEN... :D

Actually, since I have an Audio Design XLR switch box for switching among 3 XLR sources, I can easily do a shootout between the Aries/Vega and PC/ISO REGEN/SU-1/Spring setups.  I'll try to get to this, and it would be fun and informative, but right now I'm enjoying the sound of the latter setup almost too much...

I can offer some comments on the most recent changes for my SU-1/Spring setup.  The ISO REGEN (LPS-1 powered) directly replaced an Intona, and the differences have been dramatic.  The Intona itself provided some degree of improvement over no Intona, particularly in helping to make voices less sibilant, but I was blown away by the step function jump in SQ as soon as the ISO REGEN replaced the Intona.  I did try both 5V and 7V settings of the LPS-1 powering the ISO REGEN, but did not hear any difference between them.

I know some folks want to hear about the SQ differences between ISO REGEN and original REGEN.  I haven't compared these either.  So many comparisons to do, and so many recordings I want to hear fresh again with the ISO REGEN in place.

One of my next steps is to haul the whole ISO REGEN / LPS-1 / SU-1 / Spring setup to my retried colleague's place for auditioning with his speakers.  He's got the fast Lyngdorf stereo subs and Benchmark AHB2 amps in bi-amped mode, and is my go-to place to assessing sound stage, imaging, details, dynamics, etc.

I'm glad my retired colleague has more time on his hands.  It's me with my day job that can't get enough hours in a day.

I think some credit needs to go to the PCUSB A>B adapter, for helping to preserve the excellent signal integrity of the ISO REGEN USB output all the way to the DAC/DDC input.

For those adding ISO REGEN between microRendu and DAC/DDC, I recommend using PCUSB at both ends of the ISO REGEN.  Use the rotated PCUSB if necessary.  The signal integrity characteristics of PCUSB A>B adapter are second to none, so it's best to avoid using anything else (including those cheap $1 hard adapters).

32 minutes ago, Altabay said:

Is this conjecture or did you test and hear a difference from using USPCB on the input to ISO REGEN?  I suppose I can do a similar experiment by inserting a regular REGEN before ISO REGEN.  I'm hoping ISO REGEN makes everything before it irrelevant.

I didn't have time to experiment on the input side of the ISO REGEN.

I believe the USPCB on the ISO REGEN downstream side is most critical.  I suspect the effectiveness of an USPCB on the upstream side may depend on how good or bad the USB source signal quality is.  For a device known to have decent USB signal quality (such as the microRendu), using a USPCB to connect it to an ISO REGEN should help uphold good signal integrity.  On the other hand, if the source is a notebook with noisy USB port, an upstream USPCB is probably not going to bring incremental benefit over a USB cable.  The USPCB can help minimize signal integrity from becoming worse, but cannot change it from bad to good.  That's the job for the ISO REGEN.

• 3 years later...

1000Base-T gigabit and faster use all 4 twisted pairs for transmit and receive simultaneously with full duplex.  This differs from USB 3.x SuperSpeed where the TX & RX pairs are always unidirectional.

I doubt if USB 3.x would be beneficial to DACs.  The much faster switching speed makes the receiver circuits more power hungry and thus electrically noisier.  This is a possibly a case where faster is not better for audio, unless the noise spectrum is easier to filter/block than that of USB 2.0 HighSpeed.