IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

Yes, precious! ISO REGEN is here and I'll start testing tomorrow.  I will try it with an iFi micro iDSD and with my Berkeley Alpha USB/Jeff Rowland Aeris.  In both cases, I will power the ISO REGEN with an LPS-1.

I haven't had an original REGEN for quite a while, so my comparison will be to a Sonore microRendu/LPS-1 in DLNA/MPD mode directly attached to a Windows 10 network bridge.  I don't have any fancy Ethernet cables or isolators, just BJC Cat 6a.

I've found those little myrtle wood blocks that Ayre or Cardas sell work well to support these devices, but you can certainly use something simpler.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

26 minutes ago, Jud said:

Should that be UP/OFF, or is it really UP/ON that switches GI off?  (I'm not at home to look for myself.)

You are correct.  The up position is marked ON.  The down position is marked ISO.  The up position marked ON turns GI off. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

36 minutes ago, Ricky B said:

I'm sure this will be in the past soon so i can rave as everyone else is doing

Alex has a new protocol analyzer now to further enhance his QA process.  Nobody is better at customer service than Alex.  I'm expecting a replacement once the next batch of boards arrives.  I'm still very excited this product is finally in production.

19 minutes ago, Joey28 said:

the Jeff rowland aeris, which runs in adaptive mode for USB

I have the same DAC, but I bought it with a Berkeley Alpha USB.  I've never even tried to use the Aeris adaptive USB.

It's a fantastic sounding DAC using the BNC connection from the Berkeley unit.  Once I heard the Aeris, I immediately got over my reservations about its USB input limitations.

The Aeris now has a new optional ultracapacitor PSU that from all reports is exceptional.  Just one problem ... it costs $8200!

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to use the ISO REGEN with a 7V LPS-1 into a micro iDSD.  In this configuration, isn't sound quality going to be better running the micro iDSD on bus power rather than battery?  

Some good news to report.  My initial ISO REGEN was bad and crackled the instant music started playing.  I just received the replacement and I'm having no problems at all.  I'm using it with an LPS-1 into a bus-powered iFi micro iDSD.

I'll leave listening impressions for another post.  It already sounds kind of spooky good.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Now when are you going to provide the Audiophile Ethernet switches we are all waiting for? 

I know @Superdad said not till next year because he has other things in the pipeline that are higher priority.  I'd love to know what those things are!  But, like you, I'm ready to buy an audiophile ethernet switch today.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

I'd also be interested if anyone else with a similar setup has simply tried dropping the mRendu (NAA) and going server directly over USB to the IsoRegen (LPS-1 power) to DAC. 

Just remember you're comparing John Swenson's latest generation USB design (ISO REGEN) to his previous generation Ethernet/USB design (microRendu).  Obviously, the clock in the ISO REGEN is better than the clock in the current microRendu.  A better comparison will be ISO REGEN vs ultraRendu/microRendu clock upgrade.  However, I agree it's an interesting thing to try.

We may find results differ depending on whether the microRendu is being used in DLNA/MPD mode vs HQPlayer/NAA mode vs Roon RAAT.

7 hours ago, firedog said:

I'd also be interested if anyone else with a similar setup has simply tried dropping the mRendu (NAA) and going server directly over USB to the IsoRegen (LPS-1 power) to DAC. 

I started with a microRendu/LPS-1 directly attached (bridged NIC) to my Windows 10 machine in DLNA/MPD mode streaming from Qobuz.  I changed this to an ISO REGEN/LPS-1 streaming from Qobuz just using the Qobuz desktop app.  IMO the ISO REGEN/LPS-1 sounds considerably better.

As I mentioned before, some people feel the microRendu sounds better in other modes like HQPlayer/NAA.

I think ISO REGEN vs either clock upgraded microRendu or ultraRendu will be more evenly matched.

I haven't tried the microRendu/ISO REGEN combination.  I need another LPS-1 or a DC Y-cable.  I do have a 9V/2A iPower I could use with the microRendu, but I don't think introducing a SMPS would tell us anything interesting.

John Swenson seems to be especially talented at designing devices that respond well to good power supplies.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, str-1 said:

since upgrading my microRendu board to v1.4 (which according to Sonore includes an updated regeneration circuit)

I think you are mistaken about this.  The only change in the 1.4 hardware update is the clock (the same clock used in the ultraRendu).  You get a new 1.4 black PCB but the circuit design is unchanged from the original.

9 minutes ago, str-1 said:

I would say that since upgrading my microRendu board to v1.4  the improvements introduced by the IR are slightly reduced compared to its use with the mR 1.3 board.  But for me, there is still a very clear improvement with the IR in the chain.

This has been my experience as well with an iFi micro iDSD rather than a Hugo 2.  I used a USPCB between the microRendu 1.4 and ISO REGEN.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gsquared said:

Anyone know what the magic reboot sequence is that works?

All I've discovered is that the ISO REGEN has to be powered up before the microRendu.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sdube said:

the drop-outs came back

Have you ever tried running without your Audience unit plugged in?  Just as an experiment?

4 minutes ago, sdube said:

Thanks: I could get the JS-2 that feeds my Mac Mini and the LPS-1 off the Audience. Is that what you meant? Not possible to get the Audience out completely, 'fraid.

If the LPS-1 plugged into the Audience is powering your ISO REGEN, it may be worth a try.  But I was suggesting running without the Audience altogether just to see how that might affect your dropouts.  I suspected that would not be possible.  I don't mean to say anything bad about Audience, this is just troubleshooting.

• 8 months later...
24 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I know it is confusing for people who have an UltraCap supply as for those red is the "bad"

Yes we (that's a royal we) are easily confused.  And not amused.