With the Mutec added, I have a fair amount of clutter with all these massive cables from Sablon, Jena Labs and dual HF CT-2 in Schroeder configuration. Anyone else deal with this amount of clutter and any suggestions on how to manage this? My space is very limited.  I just don't want to get tired of all the cables and start selling someday. Music sounds great! BTW, I can confirm now that both the tx-usb ultra and the network switch have the solid green light. 

20210226_185317.thumb.jpg.20d8a4dba7594c2089e4a6d2e9f7eaed.jpg20210226_185208.thumb.jpg.c58273ea7fc756e5da6163df02bd03fa.jpg20210226_191619.thumb.jpg.daa5f6141de32eafc6bb5f5c8b87c2fb.jpg

9 hours ago, jbm_2021 said:

Anyone else deal with this amount of clutter and any suggestions on how to manage this?

Yeah, everyone else! Even with care and attention, it is a dense cable environment. 

I have some new gear and just yesterday was moving things around and thinking the same thing re: cables. 

I have some of those NCF cable risers and platforms, and they do help a bit. I have suspended cables with loops of string and rubber-bands in the past. Nothing has been ideal.

In addition to the clutter, moving gear yesterday I was reminded how sketchy these large/heavy cables can be with USB and ethernet connectors. I have put "shims" in place before to de-stress hanging weight, and will revisit that again. 

I think unsupported cables at insertion points are a weak point in my (everyone's?) chain, FWIW. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

5 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Yeah, everyone else! Even with care and attention, it is a dense cable environment. 

I have some new gear and just yesterday was moving things around and thinking the same thing re: cables. 

I have some of those NCF cable risers and platforms, and they do help a bit. I have suspended cables with loops of string and rubber-bands in the past. Nothing has been ideal.

In addition to the clutter, moving gear yesterday I was reminded how sketchy these large/heavy cables can be with USB and ethernet connectors. I have put "shims" in place before to de-stress hanging weight, and will revisit that again. 

I think unsupported cables at insertion points are a weak point in my (everyone's?) chain, FWIW. 

Yes, it does put a significant amount of strain on the connectors in the equipment and cable as well. That is why I am paying attention to every cable and joint as over time, it can cause it to bend. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This paper below was written by John Swenson engineer at Uptone Audio. It is very important and clarifies what type of cables we should use as clock cable depending on the type of wave. Mutec is squire wave and the SOtM clock is a sine wave. Given the knowledge in the paper, I can see why a close to a 1000 euro clock cable from a well know brand sounded almost distorted in my system (with the REF 10) while my relatively inexpensive Canare 12G-SDI sounds quite good. I don't know why cable manufacturers don't state if their clock cable is for squire or sine waves. It seems to be key to cable design. 
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/UpTone-J.Swenson_Clock_Considerations.pdf?v=1616799482

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

Mutex can supply clock cables now. 

why not get one from them?

i got two with my Ref 10

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

14 minutes ago, Pro Jules said:

Mutex can supply clock cables now. 

why not get one from them?

i got two with my Ref 10

Linke? Spec? Photo?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Cost - I don't remember

Link - email Mutec ,(I don't think its been added to their site)

Spec - the correct Ohms and classified as what you need by the manufacturer (and no snake oil pricing)

Photo - My unit is with a friend - so cant take a photo right now

They are thick and short (you can specify length, they are so thick they are difficult to bend)

Simply email or call Mutec..

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

some advices .

low , or normal prices

outdoor , and mil.spec’s

semi rigid.

ultra low attenuation :  < o.2 dB m-1 /2 GHZ , high rejection , double shielding ….

Amphenol .us TMS LMH4oo :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/294468343685?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=593038599821&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or like for SDI video :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/151284003164?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

thanx ,

your’s

w ;-).

On 11/2/2021 at 2:35 AM, zoltan said:

Given the knowledge in the paper, I can see why a close to a 1000 euro clock cable from a well know brand sounded almost distorted in my system (with the REF 10) while my relatively inexpensive Canare 12G-SDI sounds quite good. I don't know why cable manufacturers don't state if their clock cable is for squire or sine waves. It seems to be key to cable design. 

Shunyata doesn’t mention it but their cables are working wonderfully with my REF10.  I’m using a 50 ohm Delta v2 clock cable between REF10 and my DAC and a 75 ohm Alpha v1 spdif cable between REF10 and my EtherRegen.  Any cable that excels at passing a square wave should be able to pass a sine wave without breaking a sweat.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Shunyata doesn’t mention it but their cables are working wonderfully with my REF10.  I’m using a 50 ohm Delta v2 clock cable between REF10 and my DAC and a 75 ohm Alpha v1 spdif cable between REF10 and my EtherRegen.  Any cable that excels at passing a square wave should be able to pass a sine wave without breaking a sweat.

Funny you mention Shunyata because that is exactly the cable (it was the Delta) which I refer to in my comment above as a "well know brand". I didn't want to name the brand because I think it is a very good brand and make outstanding products. I had the cable for test for about 2-3 weeks and compared it against my Canare 12G-SDI L-5.5CUHD and my Oyaide DB-510. It clearly sounded inferior. I even invited audiophile friends over to see what they think (blind test, of course) with same result. It was over 3 years ago, I don't remember all the details of our tests but I'm pretty sure that I tried it both on the Mutec MC3+USB and the SOtM SMS-200 ultra. I sent it back to the dealer eventually. It MAY have been a broken cable in some way, I have no way of knowing but didn't sound right. To be honest with all the testing equipment they have at Shunyata (I hope) they should publish some measurements of cables when it counts, like a clock cable. Canare publishes attenuation from 10Mhz to 6Ghz. Next time, I have a chance, I will probably buy their top L-8UHCD or the Mutec cable if not too pricy. 
Again, this is just my experience, I'm not saying that Shunyata clock cables don't work in other people's systems. 
https://www.canare.co.jp/products/cables/index.php?tid=pr4_coax_att 

26 minutes ago, zoltan said:

Funny you mention Shunyata because that is exactly the cable (it was the Delta) which I refer to in my comment above as a "well know brand". I didn't want to name the brand because I think it is a very good brand and make outstanding products. I had the cable for test for about 2-3 weeks and compared it against my Canare 12G-SDI L-5.5CUHD and my Oyaide DB-510. It clearly sounded inferior.

I don't believe there was a Delta clock cable until the v2 series came along - and the v2 series didn't launch until last August.  The Delta v1 SPDIF was available only with RCAs so it couldn't have been that cable you heard either.  Are you sure it was a Delta?

I can certainly understand that some might have a preference for other brands.  But the likelihood of a Shunyata cable sounding "almost distorted" is almost nil unless it's either defective or it's a counterfeit.   I have no doubt though that the two cables you mentioned do a really nice job.  And they're affordable, which is a big plus.  Solid choice.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I don't believe there was a Delta clock cable until the v2 series came along - and the v2 series didn't launch until last August.  The Delta v1 SPDIF was available only with RCAs so it couldn't have been that cable you heard either.  Are you sure it was a Delta?

I can certainly understand that some might have a preference for other brands.  But the likelihood of a Shunyata cable sounding "almost distorted" is almost nil unless it's either defective or it's a counterfeit.   I have no doubt though that the two cables you mentioned do a really nice job.  And they're affordable, which is a big plus.  Solid choice.

No, you are right, I don't remember the exact model. I only said Delta because I don't remember that there was anything on the cable (like on other models). It might have been Alpha V1 (?). It was definitely original and cost around GBP 600-700. It was sent to me by the UK representative who I met in consecutive years at the Munich High-End Show. He also has/had the same Devialet amp as I do. I got to know him through that forum. I also consulted with him about my experience which he conveyed to the manufacturer. They suggested that there must have been something wrong with that particular cable. In the end, it was a bit of a hassle sending expensive cables back and forth internationally, so I gave up. Then again, if I have a chance to try the Shunyata again, I'd be happy to. Since then, I moved to SE Asia from Europe, so for now, it is even less likely but who knows what the future holds. 

14 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Any cable that excels at passing a square wave should be able to pass a sine wave without breaking a sweat.

Sure, but just a reminder that what is best/most important for square wave clocks (very low broadband attenuation) is not that important for sine wave. But super-shielding (rigid tube being best) is very important for sine wave yet not a priority for square wave clock cables.

[We wrote about this, as well as impedance matching, etc. in our paper on the subject.]

If you ask the designers of the equipment you are buying expensive cables for if you are wasting your time, their answer will be “yes”

(try asking them?) 

but carry on….

8 minutes ago, Pro Jules said:

If you ask the designers of the equipment you are buying expensive cables for if you are wasting your time, their answer will be “yes”

Unless they are in the business of selling cables too, their answer will typically be “…our equipment is built / designed to work at peak performance with any cables built to specs. However, we recommend you test and experiment for yourself, as many of our customers report improvements”

Which makes perfect sense, as this is a business. What do you expect them to say? That the cables they include in the box are trash.

I recommend talking to the actual gear designers one to one, in person.  They have their customers at heart, not cover-up conspiracies. Many actually pick up the phone personally, with no operator to screen their calls. If you start the conversation that you are customer they will happily have a short conversation with you on the best way to operate the gear they designed. 

Honestly, I challenge you to try it. (Or keep your head buried in the sand). 

My challenge stands. Try phoning the company that makes your equipment. Ask them what wordclock cable they reccomend and if it's worth spending extra to buy a really expensive one. 

Let us know how you get on please.