30 minutes ago, justubes said:

What i meant is that using another unused bnc is not griunded directly with the next bnc output which the cable is connected to.

Each bnc is isolated from each other.

So meanimg not a true or best ground...

I think you're missing the point of how cable shielding works.  The fact that signal and grounding cables are connected to separate, isolated outputs is irrelevant.  The "signal" is being grounded, not the chassis.  The REF 10 itself is properly grounded.  Based on my experience chassis grounding properly designed linear power supplies, as long as you're not experiencing ground loops, a chassis ground is likely to provide little to no audible benefit .

1 hour ago, Arpiben said:

@austinpop

Please note that I am not arguing about Mutec good performances. But for several reasons, like the ones mentioned by @mansr, we should rather compare phase noise at DAC's output where it may matter. 

The advice is coming from somebody used to deal with phase noise and synchronization in Telecom industry. Feel free to delete.

I am not touching this. This is the same discussion that derails hundreds of threads here on AS.

It's up to OP @Octagon to decide the scope of this thread. If so, he can so state, and even request moderation privileges from @The Computer Audiophile if he likes.

15 hours ago, Tand said:

Hi Mark S

I am using a "half stack" - a Vivaldi dac and clock with a Mutec REF10 with Habst BNC.

First I was very happy when upgrading my Vivaldi dac with the Vivaldi clock. But it was when adding a REF10 it got really interesting. As I recall I thought the REF10 upgrade was much better than first adding the Vivaldi clock on its own. When Habst BNC cables where used compared to generic BNC it added a sense of focus, calmnes and better dynamics which connects me closer to the music.

Next step for me in january will be to upgrade my REF10 to REF10 SE-120 with -120 dBc/Hz😃.

Happy holidays!

i’m in for the upgraded unit. Seems intriguing. 

i’ve also emailed Habst about the bnc clock cables. I wonder how the Habst compare to the Nordost V2 cables I’m using for word clocking???

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

As an aside, but relevant to some of the Mutec related questions that have been posted over the last few pages, I notice that the formally very active and helpful on this forum @julian.david has not been seen here, and indeed has not even logged in, for just over one year now.

A shame, because in the past he made an extremely useful contribution to this forum.  Does anyone know why this might be?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, austinpop said:

Mark,

One of the key metrics to look at is the published phase noise @1Hz offset at 10MHz. The lower this number, the higher the quality of the clock. This is a gross simplification, but as a first pass it’s a good metric.

The Ref 10 is -116 dBc/Hz. This clock seems to be -110. That’s quite a gulf in favor of the Mutec. 

Hi Rajiv,

May I know what's the reading for the soTm Master clock? I cannot find the numbers sir. Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, Tand said:

Hi auricgoldfinger and @LowMidHigh

I have not seen any announcement from Mutec but as I read about the SE-120 in here and WBF, I sent a mail to Mutec and was able to reserve one of the oscillators they had incoming. Very happy for this as I understand there is a very small numbers available right now. 

Will you be getting a brand new unit or sending yours to Mutec for an oscillator and case upgrade?

1 hour ago, Tand said:

Hi auricgoldfinger and @LowMidHigh

I have not seen any announcement from Mutec but as I read about the SE-120 in here and WBF, I sent a mail to Mutec and was able to reserve one of the oscillators they had incoming. Very happy for this as I understand there is a very small numbers available right now. 

Can you share the uncharge?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

3 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi Rajiv,

May I know what's the reading for the soTm Master clock? I cannot find the numbers sir. Thank you so much.

it’s on the product page: https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sclk-ocx10/#toggle-id-1

They don’t appear to publish their phase noise at 1 Hz offset. You can compare the rest with the Ref 10.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

What exactly do you get for €2,400?  Does this include a new case in addition to the improved clock?  Any other internal changes?

I presume the case is the same, since I have seen a picture of the SE-120. Regarding other internal changes beyond the clock, I have no idea... I subsequently asked for the retail price of the SE-120 version to have an idea whether the upgrade is worthwhile (ie. is the price of the REF10 (€3,500) plus the upgrade (€2,400) less than the price of a new REF10 SE-120. I'm awaiting an answer from Mutec.

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

Does it actually gives a discernable bump? Back in the day, both Mutec and the Japanese enterprise swore anything below - 116 makes no difference.... 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

32 minutes ago, 6aardvark9 said:

I presume the case is the same, since I have seen a picture of the SE-120. Regarding other internal changes beyond the clock, I have no idea... I subsequently asked for the retail price of the SE-120 version to have an idea whether the upgrade is worthwhile (ie. is the price of the REF10 (€3,500) plus the upgrade (€2,400) less than the price of a new REF10 SE-120. I'm awaiting an answer from Mutec.

The SE-120 case is different.  It has a grounding post on the back for people who want to earth ground the case.

• 5 months later...
On 12/22/2019 at 12:28 PM, austinpop said:

Hi Mark,

@auricgoldfinger gave you very useful info and covered most of the bases.

I have certainly found BNC cables to make a difference. I've only tried a few, but can say that the Habst is the best I've tried, followed by the SOtM. The Habst is more natural, full-bodied, and has cleaner transients, while the SOtM is smooth, with a rich tonality. Both are a big step up from generic cables.

Best I can tell, the rules of thumb regarding optimal length of BNC cables are in the context of S/PDIF and word clock applications, where we are talking about digital audio sample rates (frequencies from 44.1 to 768kHz). Since the Ref-10 cables carry 10 MHz, I don't know if this holds. Based on my very limited experiments, the shorter seems to be the better. I have 0.5m cables in my setup. 

Anyone know how to actually buy these Habst bnc clock cables.  The company doesn't answer my inquiries.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Thanks. 

- Mark

1 hour ago, MarkS said:

Thanks. 

Mark,

I suggest you consider the whole cable upgrade carefully. Those companies don't publish any measurements to substantiate their claims, nor do they conduct AB/X to decisively demonstrate the superiority of thier products. It stands to reason they would do one of the either, if not both, to boost sales and allay thier critics. Ergo, you should exercise caution.

(Know that one massive player in that marketplace was caught cheating in demos more than once.) 

As for the 10Hz signal, it's sole purpose is to trigger a gate on the receiving side. A cable may pick up interferences that would inject jitter into the receiver. However, if the environment isn't saturated with EMR, and the cable is short, any properly shielded cable would do. Belden builds good cables and so does Canare and many others.

Lastly, for the price of some of those "hi-end" cables, you could purchase a 2nd ER and create a chain with perceivable aural improvement. Food for thought. 

P.S., not looking to duke out the cable thing. Just to give a fellow man another perspective. For the believers, enjoy your cables and all the great music.

Stereo

Surround

1 hour ago, LowMidHigh said:

Mark,

I suggest you consider the whole cable upgrade carefully. Those companies don't publish any measurements to substantiate their claims, nor do they conduct AB/X to decisively demonstrate the superiority of thier products. It stands to reason they would do one of the either, if not both, to boost sales and allay thier critics. Ergo, you should exercise caution.

(Know that one massive player in that marketplace was caught cheating in demos more than once.) 

As for the 10Hz signal, it's sole purpose is to trigger a gate on the receiving side. A cable may pick up interferences that would inject jitter into the receiver. However, if the environment isn't saturated with EMR, and the cable is short, any properly shielded cable would do. Belden builds good cables and so does Canare and many others.

Lastly, for the price of some of those "hi-end" cables, you could purchase a 2nd ER and create a chain with perceivable aural improvement. Food for thought. 

P.S., not looking to duke out the cable thing. Just to give a fellow man another perspective. For the believers, enjoy your cables and all the great music.

thanks. 

- Mark