44 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

I would tend to interpret the results I observed on my system in the same way than @Confused. There seems to be a natural hierarchy in the means of using a precise time signal and this hierarchy is not controversial IMO ( @austinpop).

What is a precise time reference useful for in digital music reproduction ? In precisely rebuilding the analog music flow from the digital music flow. Hence, the natural hierarchy of devices where a perfect clock signal is useful is:

1. the DAC: if you own a DAC which has a 'world clock' input, then there is a very big chance that you will highly benefit from the Ref-10
  2. any device which is sending a synchronous music flow to the DAC: the synchronous music flow will include the musical data as well as a time signal, which will be interpreted by the DAC to rebuild the analog music flow. This is exactly what the MC-3+ USB is doing, transforming an USB flow which has no time information into an AES/EBU flow, which embarks time information. Therefore it is not abnormal that a precise clock at this stage has a big influence. This is the case of the MC-3+ USB off the shelf, and even more when the MC-3+ USB is synchronized with the Ref-10. I would add that if you have 1. a DAC with clock input 2. a MC-3+ USB, you will be able to synchronize both with the Ref-10
  3. in the absence of these 2 items above, the already good clocks from SOtM gears, as well as the Ref-10 if they are connected to it, will be used to build a very precise asynchronous music flow. And we have all witnessed the quality of the Ultra family of SOtM products, which demonstrates that the precision of the clock signal is useful in this field.

So there is nothing controversial in stating that my observations tend to confirm this natural hierarchy, and that improvements brought at level 3 will be an order of magnitude inferior to the improvements brought at level 2 in this field.

You can also assess this in putting an MC-3+ USB into your chain after having removed its stock SPSU, connect it to a Ref-10, and check for yourself.

SOtM and Mutec are two companies which are building tremendous technologies which work very well together and are very complementary.

Just my 2c ;)

Hi @SwissBear - peace, my friend!

I was not doubting your findings, just pointing out that these are complex interactions, and therefore clearly system dependent. It seems in your case, what you are hearing is that:

• while the initial addition of the modified switch and sMS-200ultra provided an audible improvement,
  • the additional introduction of a Ref 10 reference clock to the sMS-200ultra did not further improve the SQ.

Since  @romaz and one or 2 others on the other thread  have observed a further benefit (over and above the sCLK-EX Ultra benefit) from applying the Ref 10 to their Ultras, I can only conclude that this effect is system-dependent.

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi @SwissBear - peace, my friend!

I was not doubting your findings, just pointing out that these are complex interactions, and therefore clearly system dependent. It seems in your case, what you are hearing is that:

• while the initial addition of the modified switch and sMS-200ultra provided an audible improvement,
  • the additional introduction of a Ref 10 reference clock to the sMS-200ultra did not further improve the SQ.

Since  @romaz and one or 2 others on the other thread  have observed a further benefit (over and above the sCLK-EX Ultra benefit) from applying the Ref 10 to their Ultras, I can only conclude that this effect is system-dependent.

Hi @austinpop,

Sorry if you interpreted my post as aggressive. This was not the intention.

Once again, I am surprised that you tend to oppose the findings of romaz and others to mine and that you qualify the results as system's dependent. They appear to me to be much more process dependent, ie dependent of the fact that you are using a synchronous or asynchronous music flow to feed the DAC than system dependent.

In the first case, you will benefit from a high precision clock in a much more efficient way than in the second case, as in the first case you will send the time information from the high precision clock to the DAC and not in the second.

This is very much independent of the complexity of the process involved and of the system IMHO.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:06 PM, seeteeyou said:

According to the discussions from that 100-page (and counting) megathread, the best practice would be picking the clock that's closet to the DAC itself if we're interested in replacing that with sCLK-EX.

However, we've gotta ask the $64,000 question in order to find out if the clocks inside DirectStream DAC were holding back the ones inside a modified Singxer SU-1 with sCLK-EX.

In other words, is DirectStream DAC operating in master mode or slave mode for I2S? My understanding could be incorrect so hopefully someone could chime in to correct me. If DirectStream DAC were operating in slave mode for I2S, it's taking the clock(s) from the source (i.e. Singxer SU-1 with sCLK-EX) and that's the only way to justify the investment IMHO.

Otherwise, DirectStream DAC could be accepting the inferior clock(s) inside the DAC itself if that were operating in master mode for I2S. Consequently the performance of sCLK-EX might be held back by the inferior clock(s) behind that and maybe we aren't exactly getting what we've paid for?

FYI - the differences between master mode and slave mode for I2S could be found here as well

https://www.allo.com/sparky/kali-reclocker.html

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html

The DS DAC from PS Audio always operates in master mode for its converter section, as it is an asynchronous DAC by design, that is it resamples all incoming data asynchronously to its single internal masterclock.  This does not matter what input you use.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

10 hours ago, barrows said:

The DS DAC from PS Audio always operates in master mode for its converter section, as it is an asynchronous DAC by design, that is it resamples all incoming data asynchronously to its single internal masterclock.  This does not matter what input you use.

Hi @barrows,

Does this mean that the directstream DAC is unlikely to benefit from the signal being reclocked upstream, or less likely to benefit as much as other DACs? 

Thanks, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Does this mean that the directstream DAC is unlikely to benefit from the signal being reclocked upstream, or less likely to benefit as much as other DACs? 

I would roughly estimate about half of the DACs on the market operate asynchronously, re-clocking all inputs to their own internal clock master.  Theoretically, these DACs are "jitter immune", but in practice they still seem to perform better with a low jitter source.  I would suggest that the PS Audio DS, and other async re-clocking DACs will benefit less from the application of extreme re-clocking methods in the source, but they are still likely to benefit some.

DACs which derive their internal master clock from the source will benefit more from a low jitter source.

The PS Audio DS has a very good internal masterclock (Crystek VCXO).  Rather than reclocking the source, the best improvement could come from replacing the internal masterclock with something better (but internally, not via a cable etc)  This would have to be a very good clock source though, and one would need an experienced tech to make such a mod.  I have worked on some DS DACs, and would suggest money would be better spent by making internal mods, rather than adding an external clock to the source.  For the price of the Mutec stuff, you could probably find someone to add a better clock internally.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi all,

I promise to jump back in on the discussion in the next few days! I've recently become a dad and had to pull back a little. Meanwhile, it's been a busy week at MUTEC HQ shipping out large batches of REF 10s to our distributors in the US and South Korea. If you're interested in getting one in those areas, now is the time to contact our distributors! 

Julian

DSC_0407.JPG

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

9 hours ago, barrows said:

I would roughly estimate about half of the DACs on the market operate asynchronously, re-clocking all inputs to their own internal clock master.  Theoretically, these DACs are "jitter immune", but in practice they still seem to perform better with a low jitter source.  I would suggest that the PS Audio DS, and other async re-clocking DACs will benefit less from the application of extreme re-clocking methods in the source, but they are still likely to benefit some.

DACs which derive their internal master clock from the source will benefit more from a low jitter source.

The PS Audio DS has a very good internal masterclock (Crystek VCXO).  Rather than reclocking the source, the best improvement could come from replacing the internal masterclock with something better (but internally, not via a cable etc)  This would have to be a very good clock source though, and one would need an experienced tech to make such a mod.  I have worked on some DS DACs, and would suggest money would be better spent by making internal mods, rather than adding an external clock to the source.  For the price of the Mutec stuff, you could probably find someone to add a better clock internally.

Thanks @barrows,

Regards, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Congratulations to Julian on becoming a father and on the fantastic Ref 10.

The dealer brought it over for a demo with my MC3+USB and got away with my money :-)

2-3 hours in the unit and I'm already very happy.

upgrade to accept the reference clock and I also sent my D-Link switch along to be modified. Should be back in less than two weeks. (Also internal wires are upgraded to UP-OCC silver and some eABS added for EMI absorption.)

All this is feeding a Devialet D800 - which can't be clocked :-(

Anyway, some questions:

- The Habst clock cable is as much as the MC3+usb itself, I can't see myself spending that much. Probably go DIY, I have a few pieces of Oyaide silver and copper 75 Ohm cables around. How long should the cable be? The shorter, the better?

- Has anybody tried different power cables on the Ref 10? Does it make a significant difference?

- Is it OK/better to leave the Ref 10 and the MC3+usb on 24/7?

- Anybody who has a modified SMS-200 ultra with clock input: how does it work? Does it change automatically? On the MC3+usb you have to switch. Maybe you have to do something on the SMS-200 ultra, too? Perhaps that is why Swissbear didn't hear any improvement?? 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

These are very interesting thoughts, Confused. There are points that may need further consideration. 

If the MC3+USB reclocks everything to 99% (let's keep this number), there would be no benefit of stacking several MC3+ units as several people have done and benefited from it apparently. Also, most people reported 20-30% better results when they replaced the SMS-200 with the SMS-200 ultra feeding an MC3+USB (if my memory serves me right). The difference between the original and the ultra is the added clock, which should not matter (following your reasoning) if the Mutec reaches 99% anyhow.  

I imagine it differently. Each good clock/re-clocker can improve on the digital signal a bit. Some more, some less. Every step the signal becomes closer to what you described as 100%. So if a re-clocker is fed better signal to start with, it can output a signal that has less jitter compared to a situation when it is fed a high jitter data stream.

An analogy in my mind is something when somebody is trying to clean a dirty window. There are sponges of different quality but they can wipe with each sponge once. Using a better sponge will give a cleaner window but using another sponge after that may improve. But it has to be a better or the same sponge as the first to see some results. After a while, using similar sponges will not help, hence people seem to have stopped at stacking 4 MC+USB units with diminishing benefits. 

Anyway, I will hopefully get my SMS-200 ultra back with clock input and will be able to report what I hear in my system. I will also ask SOtM how to switch to using the 10Mhz input. 

@zoltan  First to say that I do not pretend to have all the answers, far from it!  You are right about the reports of the positive benefits of 'stacking' MC3's, however, I have not seen any reports (yet) of anyone trying this with REF10 clocked MC3's, the results might be the same, they might be different.  The same is true regarding comparisons of the sMS-200 versus SMS-200Ultra feeding an MC3+USB, I have not seen anyone reporting the results of this where the MC3+USB is fed by a REF10, except for the recent posts from SwissBear.  So in this scenario, we have a 'data set' of just one, but at least we have that.  As an example, I have recently moved from a Devialet Expert to the newer Pro model.  With the old Expert amp I had established a clear hierarchy of performance between different input devices via USB, AES/EBU, Devialet AIR Ethernet, and so on.  I figured that this basic hierarchy would remain in place with the Pro version.  The thing is, it did not, both AIR and the USB input had improved, narrowing the gaps to the previously much preferred AES/EBU input.  So what is reported with a MC3+USB, may not work out quite the same with a REF10 clocked MC3+USB.  Or to use your dirty window analogy above, maybe the REF10 clocked MC3+ is like replacing the sponge with a pressure washer.

Ultimately it goes back to needing a few more 'data points' before this makes more sense or at least we can discern some clear trends.

The good news is it looks like you may be establishing a couple of 'data points' yourself soon, keep us posted!  Are you planning to try the REF10?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I am not sure if this is "apples to apples" or possible an unrelated data point but I have a RedNet D16 ethernet to AES converter with a Mutec USB reclocking after it and then AES out to my Yggy DAC.

When I added an Antelope LiveClock external wordclock generator I hooked it up to the workclock inputs of both my D16 and my Mutec. After a bit of experimentation I eventually disconnected it from the Mutec as I heard no difference or possibly a slight diminution.

I now have two slacked Mutecs after my D16 which does make a small but rewarding improvement. The LiveClock is just hooked up to the D16 and that definitely helped. The combined effects of this chain gives me a pretty great sound.

I would like to try a masterclock but cannot quite justify the cost of the REF10...

...yet :-)

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Hi @Confused

Thanks for your answers.

A few thoughts:

• the cable story is a non-story. I have checked my cables against the specifications of Mutec and they are compliant.
  • in terms of analogy I like this one (I hold it from a very famous French DAC manufacturer who is also manufacturing reclockers for his DACs in order to respect his IP): think of jitter as a noise and think of reclocker as a door on the way of noise. If you interpose two doors, you will hear less noise, and that's why we have double or triple pane windows in our houses.
  • having said that, what will remain of jitter after the first door is not easily measurable.

From a philosophical standpoint, there is a time where buying more gears must cease, unless it becomes an addiction. And to follow into the steps of Pr. Lustig from UCSF (https://youtu.be/EKkUtrL6B18), addiction is the opposite of happiness ;)

Let's listen to music :)

3 hours ago, Confused said:

The good news is it looks like you may be establishing a couple of 'data points' yourself soon, keep us posted!  Are you planning to try the REF10?

I already have the Ref 10 (see my post 16 hours ago). In fact, the improvement was so clear that I asked the dealer to leave it with me. I will pay for it on Monday. 
I will report here in a few weeks when my system is complete with the SMS-200 ultra again.

2 hours ago, zoltan said:

I already have the Ref 10 (see my post 16 hours ago). In fact, the improvement was so clear that I asked the dealer to leave it with me. I will pay for it on Monday. 
I will report here in a few weeks when my system is complete with the SMS-200 ultra again.

Ah, sorry Zoltan, I had actually missed the bit about you getting a REF10 on demo.  I have to say, your post above is short but it says a lot, it clearly did not take long for you to decide to buy it!  So that's another positive report for the REF10/MC3+/Devialet combination.

I am actually a little jealous that you can get one on demo, I am not sure that is possible in the UK, except perhaps via post on a 'sale or return' type deal.

All I can say is enjoy, and I'm sure a few of us look forward to your report once you get the REF10 hooked up to the sMS-200Ultra.  Good stuff! :)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Local dealer will be running an interesting A/B....shortly

Mutec Ref 10 vs the Abendrot Stute....

Each will do duty as the 10 MHz reference for a dCS Vivaldi Clock....

Now I've run the Abendrot Stute with my dCS Vivaldi Clock & DAC.

The enhancement to microdetail was not subtle....listening to the 24/96 version of the Doors "The End".....and the enhancements to the opening cymbals were a stand out...Sense of realism stepped up pointedly...and it is not like the base dCS combo is usually construed as lacking in detail..

Moreover, i wanted the "40k USD Stute" to disappoint....

it didn't

So colour me intrigued as to whether the Mutec can match up. 

(given the price disparity ...rather hope it can)

Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Indra; Preamp: Spectral Audio DMC-30SS; Amps: Spectral Audio DMA 360v2 Monoblocks; Analog Cables: MIT Oracle; Power Cables: MIT Oracle; Digital: Bespoke Server [AO WinS16, HDPlex 400 LPS, Pachanko Loom, JCAT FEMTO NET & USB Card / Regen Isolator --> Vivaldi DAC and Clock [ChordMusic Clock Cables; Vertere HB Pulse USB]; Racks: Finite Elemente Pagode Edition HD4 and HD9 Amp Supports. Power: Shunyata Triton v3; DPC-6 v3

@julian.david is it not possible for Mutec to significantly improve the performance of the MC-3+ Smart Clock USB to yield something more cost effective than the REF 10 Masterclock?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's