On 9/26/2017 at 4:05 PM, SwissBear said:

Thanks for pointing this out. I normally do not feed DSDs to the Mutec and convert them to PCM inside Roon.

BTW, is the MC-3+ USB good at handling DSD -> PCM conversion ?

I've heard from quite a few users that the DSD-PCM conversion in the MC-3+USB is really good. Some customers actually prefer converting to high-res PCM over native DSD, which of course will depend on your DAC and other factors. Nonetheless, I'd definitely give it a shot!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

On 9/26/2017 at 5:18 PM, austinpop said:

Bummer. 

Not even DoP, if encoded at source? A DoP stream should look just like PCM 176.8 to a downstream device.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, auricgoldfinger said:

From the Mutec site:  "Converts DSD/DoP streams (64-256) to PCM audio with selectable output clock rate"

I never tried it for that reason.  Deal breaker for me.

The MC-3+USB does pass-through DoP64 via the digital audio interfaces (AES, S/P-DIF) just fine and it even re-clocks the signal along the way. Native DSD (via USB) however is always converted to PCM.

You should try it ;-)

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

On 9/26/2017 at 1:16 PM, mourip said:

Thanks. This is helpful. I also just downloaded the latest version of the Mutec USB manual which is more clear. I think that I have it set properly and will post a photo once I have taken in more coffee and reached my target heart rate. BTW. I am upsampling everything to 192K and so far have turned on the REF10 for my Antelope LiveClock/Rednet D16 and for one of my two Mutec USB re-clockers. The REF10 adds a new level of refinement as I enable it to each device.

Have you tried using the REF 10 to externally clock both MC-3+USBs?

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

6 hours ago, julian.david said:

Have you tried using the REF 10 to externally clock both MC-3+USBs?

Julian

Hi Julian. Yes. I did a couple of days ago. I have been adding connections systematically so that I can see what difference each new one makes. So far with each new connection I get more refinement ...as I would describe it. The really nice thing is that at the suggestion of jelt2359 I am now taking the wordclock from the second M3USB and feeding my D16 with it. This took the Antelope LiveClock out of the system. I believe that it sounds better even if by a small margin. This is a big win as I no longer need the LiveClock.

My next test is to just use one M3USB and the REF10 in the system and see how it sounds. If it sounds the same or better that would be another cost saving. I also want to try taking the wordclock out of the upstream M3USB with both still in the system to see what that changes.

My plan is to write this up as a mini-review when done and try to rate the changes according to my ears in my system.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Has anyone experimented with using termination plugs on their REF10 outputs?

From the manual...

"We generally recommend disengaging all clock outputs
that are not used for your given setup to reduce potential
interference as much as possible. Additionally, unused
and disengaged outputs can be fitted with so-called BNC
termination plugs. These are available from retailers with
both 50 and 75 Ω matching both of the REF 10s output
terminations."

I do have my unused outputs turned off.

System

19 hours ago, mourip said:

Has anyone experimented with using termination plugs on their REF10 outputs?

Good you reminded me of that as I forgot about it after reading the manual. Now I did a bit of googling and found termination plugs for less than a euro and also for nearly 30 euros each. 
http://cy.rsdelivers.com/product/huber-suhner/65bnc-75-0-7-133ne/huber-suhner-75ω-straight-bnc-yes-rf-terminator/7165003P

Also these are about 20 euros:

https://www.telegaertner.com/en/info/catalogue/coax/?IdTreeGroup=12973

Do higher quality termination plugs make a difference in our application I wonder? 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

3 hours ago, zoltan said:

Good you reminded me of that as I forgot about it after reading the manual. Now I did a bit of googling and found termination plugs for less than a euro and also for nearly 30 euros each. 
http://cy.rsdelivers.com/product/huber-suhner/65bnc-75-0-7-133ne/huber-suhner-75ω-straight-bnc-yes-rf-terminator/7165003P

Also these are about 20 euros:

https://www.telegaertner.com/en/info/catalogue/coax/?IdTreeGroup=12973

Do higher quality termination plugs make a difference in our application I wonder? 

I found the same thing online with prices from around $1USD to over $20USD. I think that the main thing is that they should consistently measure exactly 75 ohms (or 50 depending on which output you are terminating) and that they make a secure connection. It is hard to justify $20 when it is easily possible that they are unnecessary sonically or that the ones for $1 could work perfectly well.

System

Thanks to @mourip for the heads-up on these BNC terminations.

The difference with the caps @beessy has found is most probably linked to the fact that BNC terminations will ensure a perfect impedance balance of the electric circuits whereas the caps will not.

What would be useful from @julian.david is to know whether such terminations on unused BNC connectors are important for the proper operation of the Ref-10. Thanks in advance.

I may have a technical problem with the Ref 10. I switched to one output only as suggested in the manual when I started using it two weeks ago. Later I changed this one output to another and worked fine. Now, I got a second MC3+USB to try if stacking two changes anything with the Ref 10, and I cannot switch any other output back. (Or the one active off).

A light starts blinking but if I press the know nothing happens. After a while, the blinking stops and the light goes back to its state before blinking. 

I tried pressing a little longer, like 3 seconds but that didn't change anything. Power cycled once too with the back switch also but nothing helped.

Any ideas? May it be faulty?

6 hours ago, zoltan said:

I may have a technical problem with the Ref 10. I switched to one output only as suggested in the manual when I started using it two weeks ago. Later I changed this one output to another and worked fine. Now, I got a second MC3+USB to try if stacking two changes anything with the Ref 10, and I cannot switch any other output back. (Or the one active off).

A light starts blinking but if I press the know nothing happens. After a while, the blinking stops and the light goes back to its state before blinking. 

I tried pressing a little longer, like 3 seconds but that didn't change anything. Power cycled once too with the back switch also but nothing helped.

Any ideas? May it be faulty?

I am having a little trouble following your actual issue but this week I thought that I had a problem also also.

As it turns out the front panel is labeled from 1 to 8, left to right however looking from the front the jacks are actually numbered from right to left, 8 to 1. I got confused as it was hard to read the jacks when the unit was in my cabinet and managed to plug in to the incorrect jack. Try checking your connections again.

System

8 hours ago, mourip said:

I am having a little trouble following your actual issue but this week I thought that I had a problem also also.

To put it simply, I cannot switch clock outputs on or off. Regardless what and where is connected which should not matter anyway. The lights don't come on.

To put it simply, I cannot switch clock outputs on or off. Regardless what and where is connected which should not matter anyway. The lights don't come on.

Bummer. Sounds defective. I would contact Mutec directly or else your vendor. They are very quick to respond. 

Good luck!

System

Sorry to read about this. The way you put it, it looks like a HW defect of the selection knob. You should probably contact Mutec directly for this: https://mutec-net.com/kontakt.php

While you were trying to add a second MC-3+ USB in the chain, have you tried to use the WCLK 1-2 out of the first MC-3+ USB in order to feed the second one and check if you could reclock using this external clock signal ?

Not sure if this works, but worth trying in order to avoid being frustrated while the Ref-10 is fixed...

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 13.30.52.png

2 hours ago, SwissBear said:

While you were trying to add a second MC-3+ USB in the chain, have you tried to use the WCLK 1-2 out of the first MC-3+ USB in order to feed the second one and check if you could reclock using this external clock signal ?

Thanks, SwissBear. Good idea, I will try that. 

What I tried yesterday was to use the second MC3+ with its own clock, i.e. the first MC3+ was connected to the Ref 10 and the second was using its internal clock for reclocking. Strangely enough, even this improved the SQ clearly. I don't know how and why that can be. I will try your suggestion, too.  

On 10/2/2017 at 7:57 AM, SwissBear said:

Thanks to @mourip for the heads-up on these BNC terminations.

The difference with the caps @beessy has found is most probably linked to the fact that BNC terminations will ensure a perfect impedance balance of the electric circuits whereas the caps will not.

What would be useful from @julian.david is to know whether such terminations on unused BNC connectors are important for the proper operation of the Ref-10. Thanks in advance.

I have some information regarding putting BNC terminating plugs on our REF10s. I spoke to the US rep and he said that the recommendation in the manual was a mistake that would be corrected. They do not feel that adding the terminators will have any effect once that output has been turned off via the front panel.

I did ask about the Mutec 3+ USB and was told that it could be helped by a terminator on an unused BNC.

I guess that I will try my new 75ohm BNCs on my M3USB :-)

System

17 minutes ago, mourip said:

I have some information regarding putting BNC terminating plugs on our REF10s. I spoke to the US rep and he said that the recommendation in the manual was a mistake that would be corrected. They do not feel that adding the terminators will have any effect once that output has been turned off via the front panel.

I did ask about the Mutec 3+ USB and was told that it could be helped by a terminator on an unused BNC.

I guess that I will try my new 75ohm BNCs on my M3USB :-)

Even with simple BNC caps I had a positive result.