I have looked through this entire thread.  It is incredibly interesting.  Can someone with a dCS Vivaldi system please tell me if they think adding the Mutec REF 10 as the reference clock for the Vivaldi Master Clock was an upgrade?  If I get the Mutec, I would also "clock" my EtherRegen with the Mutec reference clock.  It might be worth a try.

Separately, I am using four 1.25M Nordost Valhalla 2 75ohm BNC cables to word clock my three box Vivaldi system (dac, clock, and upsampler).  I see a lot of back and forth about Habst cables and also about cable length.  I recall reading something about 1.25M having some magic to it for digital cables, but I could be wrong.  Where does one get these Habst cables and are they what people think are best for clock cables?  If I get the Mutec, I would need to clock cables (one to the dCS Clock and one to the EtherRegen).  I am particularly interested to hear from @austinpop regarding the Habst bnc clocking cables.  He has provided me with invaluable advice.

Happy holidays everyone!!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Thanks to all for your responses, and, again, happy holidays!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Anybody know anything about this one??

1062F862-DCBC-47F2-A6DB-482A4673D5C9.png

- Mark

15 hours ago, Tand said:

Hi Mark S

I am using a "half stack" - a Vivaldi dac and clock with a Mutec REF10 with Habst BNC.

First I was very happy when upgrading my Vivaldi dac with the Vivaldi clock. But it was when adding a REF10 it got really interesting. As I recall I thought the REF10 upgrade was much better than first adding the Vivaldi clock on its own. When Habst BNC cables where used compared to generic BNC it added a sense of focus, calmnes and better dynamics which connects me closer to the music.

Next step for me in january will be to upgrade my REF10 to REF10 SE-120 with -120 dBc/Hz😃.

Happy holidays!

i’m in for the upgraded unit. Seems intriguing. 

i’ve also emailed Habst about the bnc clock cables. I wonder how the Habst compare to the Nordost V2 cables I’m using for word clocking???

- Mark

• 7 months later...
On 12/22/2019 at 12:28 PM, austinpop said:

Hi Mark,

@auricgoldfinger gave you very useful info and covered most of the bases.

I have certainly found BNC cables to make a difference. I've only tried a few, but can say that the Habst is the best I've tried, followed by the SOtM. The Habst is more natural, full-bodied, and has cleaner transients, while the SOtM is smooth, with a rich tonality. Both are a big step up from generic cables.

Best I can tell, the rules of thumb regarding optimal length of BNC cables are in the context of S/PDIF and word clock applications, where we are talking about digital audio sample rates (frequencies from 44.1 to 768kHz). Since the Ref-10 cables carry 10 MHz, I don't know if this holds. Based on my very limited experiments, the shorter seems to be the better. I have 0.5m cables in my setup. 

Anyone know how to actually buy these Habst bnc clock cables.  The company doesn't answer my inquiries.

- Mark

Thanks. 

- Mark

1 hour ago, LowMidHigh said:

Mark,

I suggest you consider the whole cable upgrade carefully. Those companies don't publish any measurements to substantiate their claims, nor do they conduct AB/X to decisively demonstrate the superiority of thier products. It stands to reason they would do one of the either, if not both, to boost sales and allay thier critics. Ergo, you should exercise caution.

(Know that one massive player in that marketplace was caught cheating in demos more than once.) 

As for the 10Hz signal, it's sole purpose is to trigger a gate on the receiving side. A cable may pick up interferences that would inject jitter into the receiver. However, if the environment isn't saturated with EMR, and the cable is short, any properly shielded cable would do. Belden builds good cables and so does Canare and many others.

Lastly, for the price of some of those "hi-end" cables, you could purchase a 2nd ER and create a chain with perceivable aural improvement. Food for thought. 

P.S., not looking to duke out the cable thing. Just to give a fellow man another perspective. For the believers, enjoy your cables and all the great music.

thanks. 

- Mark