29 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

No...no regrets. This is not about Mutec and their eco system. Mutec has a USB to SPDIF solution and they are reclocking it from an improved external clock. I have no objection to this scheme. They have already explained that the quality of the external clock could not be installed in their digital converter. This is about the spaghetti solution and the unsubstantiated massive improvement that is being claimed. We have been quiet long enough and it's time to speak out. We are not unprepared and or desperate because we choose to look to substantiate things before we set sail. In fact, if this area of research shows any improvement we would be looking to diminish it and not promote a tangled mess as a work round.    

Your flailing here is noted.  I have nothing against Barrows technical contributions, thank you. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 2:14 AM, Confused said:

I had been thinking about getting the REF10 for a while, but the sCLK-OCX10 had been announced before I ordered the REF10, so yes, I did consider it.  At that time there were no comparative reviews of the two items, so all I had was the many positive reviews and reports for the REF10, and the published specifications for the sCLK-OCX10.  When reviewing the specifications of the two, I could see that they were both very good, with the sCLK-OCX10 having maybe fractionally better specs in some areas, but the biggest differentiator was that the REF10 was square wave and the sCLK-OCX10 sine wave.  Which of these is best seams to depend on who you ask!  In my case, the primary reason to buy a reference clock was for the Mutec MC3+USB, the last clock before the DAC if you like, so it made sense to buy the product designed to feed the MC3+USB.  One other point I would make here is that I bought the SOtM bundle and the Mutec REF10 at the same time.  The REF10 is a little utilitarian, but it seems to have very good build quality, it looks like it will last forever.  The SOtM kit, by comparison, does seem a bit cheap and cheerful.  In a way, you could argue that this is a positive for the SOtM kit, in that you are paying for the electronics rather than fancy casework, but for something costing £3K, you would expect something reasonably decent.

The REF10 does have slightly better functionality also, with 4 off 75ohm outputs, 2 off 50 ohm outputs, which are all switchable, with a clear display to show which outputs are enabled.  The REF10 also includes it's own LPSU, so that is one less box to worry about.

I can also see my REF10 going together very nicely with whatever Mutec next bring out in their "Empyreal" class of products, but that remains to be seen.

I believe that a REF10 versus sCLK-OCX10 shootout has been planned, so maybe once that one is completed I will discover that I have made the wrong choice!  Meanwhile though, yes, I am very happy with the REF10.  I added it to the system and it just simply made everything sound better, more realistic, dynamic, just all good.  

I think you made the right choice.  Being able to power that SOtM component with a good LPS is a bonus for better SQ.  I like that SOtM makes it's components for separate PS.   If your going to spend that much, might as well do it right and go all the way.  Nothing less than a SR7.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

51 minutes ago, Confused said:

You make it sound like I have made the wrong choice!  :|  Although to be clear, I am more than happy with the choice I made.

I agree with your point regarding flexibility offered by SOtM allowing you to use any power supply.  Although another way to look at it is that the REF10 approach removes this as an option, so it is one less thing to worry about or to be tempted to spend money for a minor upgrade.  You can be happy that you have an LPSU optimised for the specific use in the unit, and worry about other things instead.

So different approaches, pros and cons each way.  Choice is good!  You pay your money and take your choice.

Let me put it this way.  Does Mutec make a reference power supply that audiophiles desire?  So what makes you think that their power supply built into their component is going to do any better?

28 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I question whether a MR SR7 would be better than an LPSU designed specifically for the REF 10.  It would be nice if the supply was in a separate enclosure from the REF 10.

I have also heard from a bird who has an SR7, compared with OCX10 side by side and preferred the REF 10.  Apologies as I can not share who the individual is.

Power supplies aside.  If so,  it sounds like the REF 10 is just better designed than the OCX10. 

6 minutes ago, zoltan said:

The vast majority of high-end audio components have a built-in power supply despite the fact that almost none of them manufacture separately sold power supplies that 'audiophiles desire'. In fact, the Ref 10 having a built-in power supply is a plus for me.

Which is a negative in my opinion.  Such as the Chord DAVE.  But I live with it.

36 minutes ago, barrows said:

An internal power supply is better than an external supply, given that the supplies in question are of the same quality.

I don't think anyone would dispute this.  But given that it would be difficult to measure or compare, we don't know.  And I for one like to know.  So I prefer external.

Additional, external power supplies are modular, allowing their use to continue.

1 minute ago, auricgoldfinger said:

From the SOtM site:

As many of the audiophiles know, the clock signal is an angled square digital signal, but the sCLK-OCX10 produces a pure analog sine wave of 10 MHz, and this sinusoidal clock signal is the method adopted for the best clock product because of the very less noise than the angled square digital clock signal. In order to implement this, the sCLK-OCX10 consists of only analog circuit.

Now we can have a proper discussion.  9_9

Next question, does the sCLK-OCX10 outperform the Mutec on certain components?  Like the sCLK-EX?