13 minutes ago, Confused said:

Yes, I think I have a lot to learn regarding clocks, although I at least get the point about the curves.

So what you are saying is that the Ref 10 is a more accurate clock than the dCS Master clock, but that the Ref 10 is incompatible with dCS products and could not be used with, say, the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler or DAC?  So why the incompatibility?  This I what I don't fully understand.  As I said, much to learn!

The REF 10 is arguable the most compatible 10 MHz clock out there and it will work in conjunction with various 10 MHz compatible DACs and clocks by manufacturers - not just MUTEC. It is however a strict 10 MHz clock, so you will need a 10 MHz reference input of some sort. The dCs Vivaldi Master Clock has a 10 MHz compatible reference input and the REF 10 will be an excellent choice to drive this input. But the other Vivaldi products (Upsampler, DAC) only have Word Clock inputs and (unfortunately) don't provide a 10 MHz input. So you would need some other master clock in between (like the dCs or the MUTEC MC-3+/MC-3+USB) to generate and distribute the Word Clock signal to the upsampled or DAC. 

Unfortunately dCs doesn't publish any phase noise figures for the Vivaldi Master Clock, which is the figure to pay attention to. But to my knowledge, the phase noise performance of the REF 10 is unmatched at the moment!

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Just now, svart-hvitt said:

Thanks for interesting answer!

It means, that it would be possible to capture/record the sound with and without Ref10, wouldn't it?

In that case, you'd be able to present to sound files: One with the Ref10, and another without the Ref10.

Then it would be possible to evaluate the "sound" of the Ref10 in the comfort of one's own listening space.

Do you see my point?

Well, if only it was so simple ;-)

You are still talking about digital files here and the re-clocking does not change the bits of the source material at all. The re-clocking process (at least how we do it) is perfectly bit-transparent. Some other manufacturers do re-clocking by applying a sample rate conversion (SRC), but that's not how MUTEC does it. Clocking and re-clocking is all about the timing between samples and how the DAC is able to convert these samples into analog audio. So unfortunately there is no test (to my knowledge) of the re-clocking we can do by recording the output of the MC-3+USB. This applies for the re-clocking process in general, whether we do it based on the internal clock of the MC-3+USB or based on the REF 10. 

Does that help?

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

7 hours ago, Kritpoon said:

Hi Julian,

When will Mutec be taking order for the Ref 10 clock? And the expected date for the 1st batch shipment?

Krit P.

Hi Krit,

MUTEC is taking orders for the REF 10 already and we are expecting to ship in the first half of June. In fact, we've already taken some orders at the show. Send an e-mail to our sales department at contact(AT)mutec-net.com if you want to be among the first to own one! 

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

9 hours ago, svart-hvitt said:

Well, it should be possible to capture the sound of the Ref10, employing an analog-to-digital converter.

You have 3 scenarios to be captured:

1) Without the Ref10

2) With the Ref10 connected to MC-3-USB only

3) With the Ref10 connected to the whole chain of MC-3-USB and the AD converter.

AD and DA cconverters are extremely transparent these days, cfr. Studio Magazin 10/2016 where different AD converters were tested and test files were made:

http://accelerando.audio/de/studio-magazin/

Hi there,

The link you posted unfortunately is in German (which a lot of people don't speak here) and it doesn't give any information about what the audio files represent, what exactly was tested, and how. So I'm not sure what to make of that. 

But regardless, we are talking about detailed, yet significant improvements on a high-end level here. The test you are suggesting introduces a host of variables, a relatively elaborate, artificial test setup, and ultimately I don't believe that it will yield any meaningful results for most of the readers here. 

I would much rather spend that time to figure out a way so you can have a listen to the REF 10 yourself in the environment you know and in the application it was intended to be used: enjoying digital music playback through a high-quality DAC and a good pair of speakers. Judging by the link you posted, I'm guessing you are in Germany or one of the German speaking neighboring countries, so let me know if you're genuinely interested in a demo. 

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

3 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

Will the ref10 come with an option to use external lps supplies? Or would I have to mod this myself/ with my dealer's help like with the 3+ USB if I were to pursue this option?

As Ulli mentioned MUTEC put lots of effort into creating an exceptional linear power supply with highest-grade power line filtering (without any "open", unfiltered cable paths), and lowest-noise power supplies for each section of the circuitry. So it really doesn't make a lot of sense for us to use an external power supply. We understand the concerns with the switch-mode supply in the MC-3+USB and decided to put extra emphasis on this area with the REF 10. 

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

2 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

Some other questions for audiophile (not pro audio) use. 

1) Does this mean that everytime I change to a song with different sample rate (as you can imagine, happens a lot with streaming), I have to check and fiddle with the sample rate settings on the Ref10 + 3+ USB, before I get the proper clocking?

Hi again,

No, that won't be the case! The re-clocking in the MC-3+USB always detects the incoming sample rate from the digital audio streams and adapts accordingly. So there's no user operation involved.

When you connect the REF 10 as an external reference, nothing changes in this regard. It's important to distinguish between the sample rate of the digital audio and the clock reference. The REF 10 is never involved in the digital audio. All it does is to provide an exceptionally low noise 10 MHz clock reference for the MC-3+USB (and other compatible devices) to do their processing that's completely independent from the sample rate of the digital audio.

2 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

2) Given that it now has LPS, does it mean we need to specify the voltage we want, when ordering?

The LPS in the REF 10 is still international with a replaceable fuse for 115/230 V operation. It still makes sense to let us know what grid you're on when ordering so we can provide the proper fuse value and select the appropriate voltage for you prior to shipping. Obviously, if you order from a U.S. store for example, this will already have been taken care of.

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2017 at 10:07 AM, sadekkhalifa said:

@julian.david when it will be available for orders?

And I would like to know if Ref10 able to connect to sMS-200Ultra with master clock that has 6-9v connector 

We are taking pre-orders already and it will be shipping very soon. Contact the MUTEC HQ directly or one of our distributors please.

As some other folks mentioned, the REF 10 will work great with the SOtM sMS-200Ultra if you have the additional sCLK-EX board that gives you the 10 MHz compatible input. We're actually great fans of the folks at SOtM and had dinner with them in Munich. There will most likely be a few devices to play with at MUTEC soon so we can provide full support for compatibility related questions.

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

1 minute ago, Confused said:

My understanding is that the sMS-200Ultra is essentially a sMS-200 with a sCLK-EX clock board included internally?  So are you suggesting that an additional (external) sCLK-EX board is required to get the 10 MHz compatible input?

No, you're right of course. The ultra version already included the clock version. My bad! No need for any additional boards to get the 10 MHz input.

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Here is the info sheet on the Ref 10: https://www.mutec-net.com/downloads/Ref10_InfoSheet_2014_E.pdf . The first sentence reads:

Somewhat unrelated, but still important: this info sheet is ancient and will be replaced soon. Please refer to this post for the new version in the meantime: Posted Monday at 11:55 PM

Thanks,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

11 hours ago, pam1975 said:

makes sense, thanks @julian.david 

But *what if* the Ref 10 is now also connected to the network player?

how does this change the master/slave concept (if at all)?

It doesn't change the master/slave concept at all when it comes to the audio sample rate master. It just means that the network player can use the superior 10 MHz clock as the basis of its processing, which (hopefully) will yield a better performing source. The same would be true for taking another output from the REF 10 to provide a 10 MHz reference for the DAC in this example. Now all of the three devices in the chain can benefit from the external reference, but the network player still sets the sample rate for the chain. This is exactly the reason why we are providing a total of eight outputs (at different impedances) with the REF 10. 

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I hope you don't mind my asking, but why not just include in the ultra precise clock from the REF 10 in the MC-3+/MC-3+USB? Are using a PPL to lock onto the SPDIF signal, which adds jitter, and then reclock to remove the jitter? If you have a USB input that is Asynchronous that allows the DAC to be the master and not the music sever why would you use SPDIF? Thank you in advance.  

So there are a couple of questions here and the answers may depend on the individual setup. In terms of why the clock from the REF 10 is not included in the MC-3+/MC-3+USB: it would require a whole different design that would make the products wildly more expensive. The internal 1G clock in the MC-3+/MC-3+USB is really good in its own right and a lot of people feel like the product is great value for the money. The REF 10 is a much more expensive product with a very elaborate power supply and clock design that is intended for those looking to get the utmost performance at a premium cost. 

Regarding the other questions: I was previously describing a specific use case and of course there are situations that would argue against using S/P-DIF. We've found that the performance of the different digital inputs on a give DAC is usually not the same across the board. From an electrical (jitter) standpoint, an AES or BNC connection is often better than S/P-DIF optical. If you have a DAC with a USB input then it comes down to the quality of that USB interface. What about EMF interference from the music server? Is there any galvanic isolation? 

It just comes down to your specific setup and how to get the best performance out of it. Using an MC-3+/MC-3+USB (with or without) the REF 10 can be great way to do that, but of course it's by no means the only way. Otherwise it would be boring, wouldn't it?

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

22 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I appreciate your responses. I have one follow up question that I did not think to ask before. Is the USB input also subject to the re-clocking circuit that is influenced by the use of the REF 10?

21 hours ago, svart-hvitt said:

In the same vein: Are alle the inputs of the MC-3+USB influenced, for example the AES-EBU input?

Yes, all of the inputs of the MC-3+USB (including the USB path) are subject to the re-clocking and will benefit from the REF 10.

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

19 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Appreciate your contribution to this thread, Julian. 

I would also suggest that any potential purchaser of your clock check their DAC to see if it accepts a 10MHz input. My DAC for example (Merging NADAC) only accepts inputs in the base frequency or multiples thereof - e.g. 44.1kHz, 48kHz, etc. I understand (correct me if i'm wrong) that the Mutec does not have a synthesizer and is therefore unable to generate 44.1kHz for my DAC? 

That's correct. You would need at least an MC-3+ to take the 10 MHz signal as a reference and create a high-quality Word Clock at 44.1 kHz.

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

15 hours ago, austinpop said:

It would be really great to list DACs that accept a 10MHz reference clock. Either they're not very common, or I'm in the wrong price segment - i.e. sub-$3k. :D

DACs with a word clock input seem to be more common. For example, the Mytek Brooklyn.

11 hours ago, 4est said:

I do not know of any that accept 10MHz unless the have a built in word clock. As I have said, that is a reference clock frequency used for word clocks and other telecommunication things.

We are working on a compatibility list for DACs. There are definitely a few out there already such as the Esoteric D-1, D-02X and D-05X, TEAC NT-503, Antelope Zodiac, and we are expecting there to be more manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon in the future.

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

6 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

So I connected the rednet's word clock output to the mutec word clock input just to try and see if it will work. With this connected, the extern + reclock mode is now available. I still don't see any "word clock out" lights come up, strangely.

But on my rednet, "internal" clock reference plays perfectly fine, whereas the "external" breaks up from time to time (Im using a coaxial cable with a bnc adaptor so maybe impedance issues are a problem?). Not sure what's going on, and if there's even any clock signal coming from the mutec given that no "clock out" lights are on. 

Julian could you confirm how to make this work? The goal of course is to see if I should get a ref10 and connect it to my mutec, with the ideal use case of the mutec being a clock distributor and reclocker, both. 

Ok, this is getting a bit off topic and would be better placed in the MC-3+ thread. Ultimately I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to achieve, but in general it's not really a good idea to try to re-clock a source and simultaneously externally clock the same source with the MC-3+/MC-3+USB. I sort of get the idea behind this endeavor, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense and (potentially) gets you into trouble.

Some basic thoughts about using the MC-3+/MC-3+USB in this scenario:

1. Unless you have a very high grade (superior) clock source like the REF 10, you're best off sticking to "internal" and "reclock" mode.
  2. Externally locking the source (rednet) to the MC-3+/MC-3+USB via the latter's Word Clock outputs creates somewhat of a "chicken & egg" problem. The re-clocker is looking for the incoming digital audio stream and will adjust its sample rate accordingly. Once it's locked, it will start outputting a Word Clock signal with the same sample rate (and phase-coherent). At the same time, the source (rednet) is looking for a Word Clock signal to lock to and is expecting the re-clocker to provide such. That's a bit of stalemate and not really what you want.
  3. It becomes questionable why exactly you'd want your source (rednet) to lock to an external Word Clock anyway, since it would dictate the sample rate of your system. But what if you want to playback music with different sample rates? Switch it manually all the time?

Maybe we can move this discussion over to the other thread or continue via PM/email so this thread can focus on the REF 10?

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com