IGNORED

Schitt Modi measured and it doesn't look good

Amir at AudioScienceReview is benching several $99 and under DAC's. The Schitt Modi doesn't seem to fare to well even when prompted for a few more measurements at different sampling rates and bit depths:

ifi-schiit-comparison-png.6914Schiit Modi 2 vs iFi iDAC2 at 7 Khz 441.png

24/48 compared with 16/44.1

upload_2017-5-13_12-2-22.png

The next DAC up is the $79 Behringer U-Phoria UMC-204HD 

42 minutes ago, rando said:

:confused:

How is that a relevant test?  Bottom of the barrel results from bottom of the barrel products, surprise!  

Mimby is the Schiit he should be testing.   

Even "bottom of the barrel" should be testing better than that!  Embedded DACs (e.g., as used in iPhones, etc.) measure *much* better :/

Not to claim that "bad sound" = "bad measurement", but seriously . . . 

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

2 hours ago, rando said:

:confused:

How is that a relevant test?  Bottom of the barrel results from bottom of the barrel products, surprise!  

Mimby is the Schiit he should be testing.   

Multiple $99 and under DAC's are being measured. If other $99 DACs measure well what would you have to say then?

The interesting take away from the testing is that computer load changed the levels of measured crud. 

At first glance it seemed odd to be concerned with obviously flawed, if not widely varying in results culled from testing any one unit, devices.  Dare I say spelling the name of such devices correctly is tantamount to word of mouth advertising on a SEO site no matter how poorly they test.  A subjective metric of which is worst of the worst should be at least slightly above the purview of an audiophile site such as this.  Topically, Mimby would be the most obvious place to begin in their chain of devices.

I didn't account for how much worse than a miniaturized phone DAC it appears to perform.  Which is why I phrased my response in the form of a question.  iPhone's are an ecosystem so the comparison is flawed, but it does make a very strong point.

The iDAC2 that I see on the iFi website is a $350 item.  ?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, plissken said:

You are missing some context. He is using the iFi as a baseline for the comparison. 

Thanks, I was definitely missing that context.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 minutes ago, rando said:

At first glance it seemed odd to be concerned with obviously flawed, if not widely varying in results culled from testing any one unit,

Agreed if other same version units test well. You know anywhere we can get independently produced results? Maybe they are listed at the Schitt website?