Much as with Ayre's products for the past 11 years, the 8 series was designed primarily by the team at Ayre lead by Ariel Brown, who has been a designer with Ayre for over 20 years now, along with support and ideas from Charles Hansen before he passed.  More recently, Ayre added Brendan Boyle to our team, which had improved our ability in digital and user interface applications considerably starting with the QX-5.

Edit: I nearly forgot the outside!  For the 8 series, Ayre was looking for an updated look that would be more accepted in a living room by everyone than some of the more aggressive-looking high end components on the market (including our own!) tend to be.  We worked with a product designer that came up with this new look while trying to preserve many of Ayre's existing design queues.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, thyname said:

Thanks! missed that.

Now, whether it's worth waiting for this for 1/2 price of the QX-5...

Curious about this one, too. I'd love a QX-5 but it'$ out of my reach.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Just now, beetlemania said:

Curious about this one, too. I'd love a QX-5 but it'$ out of my reach.

Same here. the QX-8 appears to be more affordable. According to Gary of Ayre, "a fully loaded QX-8 will be priced at approximately $5,500"

1 minute ago, simonhiggs said:

"fully loaded"? Are there different versions/options?

I don't know. I copy/pasted exactly what I was emailed by Gary at Ayre. I am guessing yes. I know the QX-5 can be stripped out to several digital inputs. The $8,950 price for the QX-5 is the "fully loaded" version

6 hours ago, thyname said:

I don't know. I copy/pasted exactly what I was emailed by Gary at Ayre. I am guessing yes. I know the QX-5 can be stripped out to several digital inputs. The $8,950 price for the QX-5 is the "fully loaded" version

Precisely so. Similar to the QX-5, the QX-8 will havea numberof optional configurations. The base will have the S/PDIF inputs (AES, RCA, and TOSLINK), with the options to addon Ethernet connectivity, USB connectivity, or both! 

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

4 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

Precisely so. Similar to the QX-5, the QX-8 will havea numberof optional configurations. The base will have the S/PDIF inputs (AES, RCA, and TOSLINK), with the options to addon Ethernet connectivity, USB connectivity, or both! 

Hi Ryan,

What is the timeframe for availability of the QX-8?

1 minute ago, Ryan Berry said:

Ideally, we're aiming to have this shipping by end of May.  I think we've gotten all the kinks ironed out with our new machinist that has held the EX-8 up.  My only issue with the QX-8 now is that I don't get any other work done that day if I go in to listen to it! 

Ryan: wow! that says a lot. Maybe I should wait for the QX-8 and not buy the QX-5 now.

Also, can you comment on the differences on the Ethernet chip / card between the QX-8 and QX-5?

And perhaps on the differences between the two in general?

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

Ideally, we're aiming to have this shipping by end of May.  I think we've gotten all the kinks ironed out with our new machinist that has held the EX-8 up.  My only issue with the QX-8 now is that I don't get any other work done that day if I go in to listen to it! 

That’s exciting!

Echoing the question about difference with the QX-5,let me also add - please also compare with the Codex, as this is an obvious upgrade path.

I’m particularly interested in comparisons of the power supplies used in all 3.

2 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

That is similar to what Ian K. told me about the sound quality of the QX-8 and the EX-8 he experienced.

Looking forward to see Brent and whoever is joining him this year at the High End show in Munich. Is there any listening opportunity at the show this year? I don't know any dealer in southern Germany or Austria where I can do this. 

I've read on the Ayre hompage that you have found a new distributor for Germany and Austria at last and hope that the market presentation, communication and penetration will get better now.

My thoughts are with you, the Ayre staff and Charley's family tomorrow!

7 hours ago, #Yoda# said:

That is similar to what Ian K. told me about the sound quality of the QX-8 and the EX-8 he experienced.

Looking forward to see Brent and whoever is joining him this year at the High End show in Munich. Is there any listening opportunity at the show this year? I don't know any dealer in southern Germany or Austria where I can do this. 

I've read on the Ayre hompage that you have found a new distributor for Germany and Austria at last and hope that the market presentation, communication and penetration will get better now.

My thoughts are with you, the Ayre staff and Charley's family tomorrow!

The 8 series will be on display in Munich, in fact, and will be in an active system to listen to!  As an added bonus, I'll throw in Brent, Ariel, and myself in the deal...they finally managed to get me out of the office.  I haven't been to Germany in about 15 years, so I'm pretty happy to go!

As you saw, I'm pleased to say that we've just announced our new Ayre partner in Germany with Bauer Audio!  There's some work to be done to get all the gear they'll need set up, etc., but we're very excited to have someone there to work with Germany and Austria.  We've known Willie Bauer for quite some time and could not be more excited about the opportunity.

Thank you for the wishes.  Tomorrow will be a celebration in Charley's honor, it's what he would have wanted.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

On 7.4.2018 at 5:31 AM, Ryan Berry said:

The 8 series will be on display in Munich, in fact, and will be in an active system to listen to!  As an added bonus, I'll throw in Brent, Ariel, and myself in the deal...they finally managed to get me out of the office.  I haven't been to Germany in about 15 years, so I'm pretty happy to go!

Is the "active system" at your own booth only listenable with headphones or with a partners own auditory space?

Anyway, it is a good idea to visit the currently major HiFi show in one of the most worth living cities, I hope the weather is fine then to relax in one of the great outdoor places in the evenings after show. You're very welcome to Munich and I hope to see you there. 

On 7.4.2018 at 5:31 AM, Ryan Berry said:

As you saw, I'm pleased to say that we've just announced our new Ayre partner in Germany with Bauer Audio!  There's some work to be done to get all the gear they'll need set up, etc., but we're very excited to have someone there to work with Germany and Austria.  We've known Willie Bauer for quite some time and could not be more excited about the opportunity.

I know, Ayre had been the US distributor for Bauer Audios phenomenal turntable system.

Anyway, it's a good sign to see the first press releases about Ayre on German/Austrian websites for a very long time this weekend and I'm looking forward to the first reviews of the new 8 series.

30 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Doh! I picked AXPONA over Munich this year. Bummer.

Well, you're not completely out of luck.  Michael will be at Audio Consultants during AXPONA with an active EX-8 as well.  We won't be at the show itself this year as we wanted to support our local dealer with our currently very limited units, but there's one in the area if you want to make the detour!

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

Well, you're not completely out of luck.  Michael will be at Audio Consultants during AXPONA with an active EX-8 as well.  We won't be at the show itself this year as we wanted to support our local dealer with our currently very limited units, but there's one in the area if you want to make the detour!

Ah OK, thanks for the heads-up. Is the EX-8 a superset of QX-8 plus an amp, all in one chassis?

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ah OK, thanks for the heads-up. Is the EX-8 a superset of QX-8 plus an amp, all in one chassis?

Exactly so.  The EX-8, which we jokingly called E for "Everything" is an integrated amp with analog volume control that has the majority of the digital section of the QX-8 on board.  That unit and a set of speaker cables will get you playing music through Ethernet, USB, or S/PDIF with nothing else required. For us, it's quite a departure from the many separate components we've offered in the past that make up a system...but that's not to say that we won't be offering separates as well for those that prefer them.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

1 hour ago, Ryan Berry said:

We'll have 2 active systems working there, one set up to headphones while the other will be playing through Vivid Audio speakers, who we share the booth with.  I look forward to seeing you if we have a chance!

I've seen that you've switched the usual location from hall 2 to hall 1 that is usually not as crowded and noisy as the other halls. Anyway, I assume that you still have an open booth together with Vivid, what is not really ideal for listening.

Possibly I'll store my LCD XCs with suitable balance cables in the car in the basement garage and fetch them for a short listening session at your booth.

• 1 month later...