2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

So the QX-8 is using a mobile chip similar to the Codex implementation.  I wonder if the chip is going to be USB bus powered like the Codex.  I hope not, can someone ask the rep?

DR Tone,

I've just got the message from Ayre that the USB port on the QX-8 is bus powered.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

Ideally, we're aiming to have this shipping by end of May.  I think we've gotten all the kinks ironed out with our new machinist that has held the EX-8 up.  My only issue with the QX-8 now is that I don't get any other work done that day if I go in to listen to it! 

That is similar to what Ian K. told me about the sound quality of the QX-8 and the EX-8 he experienced.

Looking forward to see Brent and whoever is joining him this year at the High End show in Munich. Is there any listening opportunity at the show this year? I don't know any dealer in southern Germany or Austria where I can do this. 

I've read on the Ayre hompage that you have found a new distributor for Germany and Austria at last and hope that the market presentation, communication and penetration will get better now.

My thoughts are with you, the Ayre staff and Charley's family tomorrow!

On 7.4.2018 at 5:31 AM, Ryan Berry said:

The 8 series will be on display in Munich, in fact, and will be in an active system to listen to!  As an added bonus, I'll throw in Brent, Ariel, and myself in the deal...they finally managed to get me out of the office.  I haven't been to Germany in about 15 years, so I'm pretty happy to go!

Is the "active system" at your own booth only listenable with headphones or with a partners own auditory space?

Anyway, it is a good idea to visit the currently major HiFi show in one of the most worth living cities, I hope the weather is fine then to relax in one of the great outdoor places in the evenings after show. You're very welcome to Munich and I hope to see you there. 

On 7.4.2018 at 5:31 AM, Ryan Berry said:

As you saw, I'm pleased to say that we've just announced our new Ayre partner in Germany with Bauer Audio!  There's some work to be done to get all the gear they'll need set up, etc., but we're very excited to have someone there to work with Germany and Austria.  We've known Willie Bauer for quite some time and could not be more excited about the opportunity.

I know, Ayre had been the US distributor for Bauer Audios phenomenal turntable system.

Anyway, it's a good sign to see the first press releases about Ayre on German/Austrian websites for a very long time this weekend and I'm looking forward to the first reviews of the new 8 series.

1 hour ago, Ryan Berry said:

We'll have 2 active systems working there, one set up to headphones while the other will be playing through Vivid Audio speakers, who we share the booth with.  I look forward to seeing you if we have a chance!

I've seen that you've switched the usual location from hall 2 to hall 1 that is usually not as crowded and noisy as the other halls. Anyway, I assume that you still have an open booth together with Vivid, what is not really ideal for listening.

Possibly I'll store my LCD XCs with suitable balance cables in the car in the basement garage and fetch them for a short listening session at your booth.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

Hi George,

The VX-8 is effectively developed, but we need to get all the parts in, which takes longer than designing the product sometimes.  The circuit in the VX-8 will be a bit more robust than the EX-8,  so while it is still rated at 100W into 8 ohms, it will drive lower impedance a bit better.  Not that the EX-8 is a slouch either -- I've yet to find anything the EX-8 wasn't able to drive for me so far.  Of course, less can often be more when you're talking about features in one chassis.  While you do add more interconnects into the system when you have separate components, you also have a lot less running inside of one box, so there's always tradeoffs.  Personally, I think the KX-8 with the VX-8 is the best sounding (else we wouldn't offer the option since it costs more to buy the two units), though I use an EX-8 at home because it fits inside my entertainment system in the living room real well.  For the listening room, I stick with separates. 

Likely we'll be launching these early 2019.  The 8 series gave us a lot of products all developed around the same time, so we've had a lot of meetings in planning the launch schedule that makes the most sense to avoid flooding the market with 6 products at the same time!  Ultimately, a lot of metal shop delays really pushed back our desired schedule, but I think we've finally gotten the process nailed down and should be picking things back up soon.

Cheers,

Ryan 

Hi Ryan,

I'm aware about the issues with your case suppliers, but I would appreciate to play the Christmas carols for my family this year in my living room with the way back ordered black EX-8, hopefully with enough time to burn-in. ? 

Cheers,

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

You're right.  The machinist we had hoped had the process figured out took a step backwards and we had to start completely over with a new shop, delaying everything in the 8 line.  We're particular about how we want things to be and won't send anything less than what we feel is the best.  That said, production is starting to build QX-8 units now, so we'll have units able to go out before long.  There's a few finishing touches that are being done...we've been working with our Ethernet card supplier to improve its performance and wanted to get that ironed out before shipping.  For the QX-5 owners, they should be seeing that come out as a free update.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

what about EX-8 owners (hope that mine will arrive soon), do we see the upgrade as well? It would be nice, if one of the performance improvement is DSD128 support over Ethernet.

Best

Thomas