Ayre will be presenting prototypes of the new 8 series at the High End show, which will start thursday in Munich.

I presume a new dac/streamer/headphone-amp will be part of the 8 series, as a successor of the QB-9DSD. I also would expect to see a new integrated amp as a successor of the AX-7e. But I'm just guessing. I'm curious what will trickle down from the 5 series, and what new techniques Ayre will be implementing.

Who knows more? 

• 3 months later...

The integrated amp/dac in the 8 series will be named EX-8 instead of AX-8, I heard. I think this means there's also going to be an integrated amp without dac in the 8 series, which is a good thing from my point of view. I wouldn't be surprised if the first production units of the 8 series will surface the coming month, around RMAF.

• 4 months later...

There's news on the 8-series.

From an Ayre newsletter:

I know that the next question on everyone's mind is; "What is up with the 8 series!"

We are working hard to finalize the EX-8 (Digital integrated amp) and plan to begin shipping it the first week of February. Like the QX-5 it will have optional modules which can be added to expand the types of digital inputs available.

The QX-8 will be next, shipping in May, followed by the KX-8 and VX-8 which we will have as prototypes at the Munich show in May.

By the time we are finished with the 8 series in the fall, there will be 6 - 7 products in the line.