IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

4 hours ago, stumptown0426 said:

This is my understanding as well but it wasn't working. After I read your post, I moved the USB cable from the UR back to the Oppo from the PrePro and BOOM, it now works. Weird. Thanks for the reply.

Connect the PrePro to the Rendu and post all the information from Apps / DAC Diagnostics here. You can also repeat the issue and obtain the RoonReady log from Apps / RoonReady so we can sent it to Roon for comments.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using an Ultrarendu with an LPS 1 feeding a Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC. I usually control playback using Spotify via a laptop or my iphone. There is audible buzzing when playback is stopped - this buzzing stops immediately when I disconnect the ethernet cable from the ultrarendu. It isn't audible at all when I plug the DAC directly into a laptop. 

The ultrarendu is connected to a netgear wireless router that I use for my wifi. I suspect this is introducing the buzzing, which I would describe as sounding more like noise introduced by a computer than that of a transformer buzzing. The buzzing noise is variable and sounds as if it is changing as data is moving as opposed to a static, unchanging noise. 

Has anyone had this issue with the ultrarendu and successfully remedied it using a new router or otherwise? I am aware of the optical isolation approach, but this is so audible I would assume there has to be a way this was dealt with before.

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, J2000 said:

I have been using an Ultrarendu with an LPS 1 feeding a Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC. I usually control playback using Spotify via a laptop or my iphone. There is audible buzzing when playback is stopped - this buzzing stops immediately when I disconnect the ethernet cable from the ultrarendu. It isn't audible at all when I plug the DAC directly into a laptop. 

The ultrarendu is connected to a netgear wireless router that I use for my wifi. I suspect this is introducing the buzzing, which I would describe as sounding more like noise introduced by a computer than that of a transformer buzzing. The buzzing noise is variable and sounds as if it is changing as data is moving as opposed to a static, unchanging noise. 

Has anyone had this issue with the ultrarendu and successfully remedied it using a new router or otherwise? I am aware of the optical isolation approach, but this is so audible I would assume there has to be a way this was dealt with before.

Thanks.

Have you considered trying an inexpensive switch? Something like:

TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch

Sounds like the WiFi piece of the router could be injecting noise. I always have any WiFi devices well away from my system. Gigabit switches are fairly inexpensive these days.

The switch would connect to the Netgear router. You would also connect the computer and ultraRendu to the switch, so three connections running in/out of switch.

1 hour ago, J2000 said:

Thanks.

As one who is quite familiar with the TPA DAC, what USB interface are you using, and in what way is it working (async or sync mode for the DAC chip?).  I just want to rule out any weird communication problems with the USB interface, this is unlikely, but could be a slight possibility, before we decide for sure it is a Network issue (more likely).

As an aside, Sonore does not recommend the LPS-1 for use with our products, as it does not bring out their best performance.  Although I do not think the LPS-1 is causing this problem, do you have any other power supply you could try to rule it out for certain?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

26 minutes ago, barrows said:

As one who is quite familiar with the TPA DAC, what USB interface are you using, and in what way is it working (async or sync mode for the DAC chip?).  I just want to rule out any weird communication problems with the USB interface, this is unlikely, but could be a slight possibility, before we decide for sure it is a Network issue (more likely).

As an aside, Sonore does not recommend the LPS-1 for use with our products, as it does not bring out their best performance.  Although I do not think the LPS-1 is causing this problem, do you have any other power supply you could try to rule it out for certain?

I am using the TPA Cronus/Amanero combo with a Buffalo II - so no external clock. Not sure if that's technically async or not. I had the same buzzing problem when using an older waveio USB interface and was having problems with static clicks and pops as well. That has gone away with the Cronus/Amanero. I can try to find a spare power supply to try, but haven't tried swapping it out yet. 

You may be more familiar with how the Buffalo DAC handles muting and volume control, but the buzzing does track the DAC volume level such that it's the loudest when volumite is at 100% and less audible when the Buffalo volume it turned down. The buzzing goes away when I unplug the ethernet cable from the ultrarendu. The buzzing also goes away shortly after music is paused, which leads me to believe the Buffalo automutes output when it's not playing. 

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, barrows said:

As an aside, Sonore does not recommend the LPS-1 for use with our products, as it does not bring out their best performance

Has this changed in the course of time? I bought an isoregen and LPS-1 combination, admittedly from vortexbox.uk because I am located in the Netherlands but I thought you did recommend  and sell the LPS-1 at that time? 

1 hour ago, J2000 said:

I am using the TPA Cronus/Amanero combo with a Buffalo II - so no external clock. Not sure if that's technically async or not. I had the same buzzing problem when using an older waveio USB interface and was having problems with static clicks and pops as well. That has gone away with the Cronus/Amanero. I can try to find a spare power supply to try, but haven't tried swapping it out yet. 

You may be more familiar with how the Buffalo DAC handles muting and volume control, but the buzzing does track the DAC volume level such that it's the loudest when volumite is at 100% and less audible when the Buffalo volume it turned down. The buzzing goes away when I unplug the ethernet cable from the ultrarendu. The buzzing also goes away shortly after music is paused, which leads me to believe the Buffalo automutes output when it's not playing. 

Thanks for the help.

OK., I use the Cronus/Amanero here with no problems although I am not using the onboard clock from the Buffalo, I am using the master clock feed form the Cronus, which is sync clocking, not that it should matter here...  Automute is switchable on the newer Buffalos, but not on the B-II, so it is likely enabled by default.

So I expect that your problem is likely Network related-make sure your uRendu has the most recent software (does not have to be 2.8, but make sure whichever card is in there is running with the most recent software, update it.)  Sounds like a weird problem though, perhaps a really bad router (broken?) is the problem.  Sometimes Ethernet cables can be bad as well, so perhaps try a new one before getting a switch or a new router.  Having a switch between a wireless router and the uRendu is generally a good idea, as a decent switch has less self noise, this might be worth trying.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Sonore does not recommend the LPS-1 to power any of our products.  Yes, when the LPS-1 was first released we did recommend it, but then we found out it is not really a good option and changed our recommendation.  We do recommend the newer version, LPS-1.2 (is that it?) for the microRendu, ultraRendu, and opticalModule (but not for the opticalRendu, it does not have enough power in most cases for reliable operation of the oR).  Hope that clears up any confusion.

SONORE computer audio

5 hours ago, J2000 said:

Thanks.

Try shunting the DC negative of the LPS-1 to AC ground.

2 hours ago, J2000 said:

I wasn't sure about that comment either. They still sell a faceplate to use with the LSP power supply and rendus.

https://www.sonore.us/faceplate.html

Those faceplates work with any gear that has that shape, but it's not an endorsement per say. 

27 minutes ago, bobflood said:

FYI, I did the update today on 2.8 and no problems so far. I had not had any of the problems with 2.8 that others reported with my uRendu. I think the problems seemed to be with with oRendu and sig oRendu.

Could you or any other user (by chance!) try to stream through a 2.8 urendu a very high rate DSD file (DSD256 or DSD512) to a USB dac accepting native DSD (not DOP) like the iFi Pro iDSD ?

In my case, 2.7 plays fine in this setup. However, 2.8 streams erratically with an unbearable stuttering.

Regards to all who may hep here

4 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Could you or any other user (by chance!) try to stream through a 2.8 urendu a very high rate DSD file (DSD256 or DSD512) to a USB dac accepting native DSD (not DOP) like the iFi Pro iDSD ?

In my case, 2.7 plays fine in this setup. However, 2.8 streams erratically with an unbearable stuttering.

It's is not DAC related and more a network issue. Try setting your server to 100 Mbps Full Duplex or enable flow control on a managed switch. In the mean time, I'll look at the 2.8 code to see if we can request it on our end.  

56 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

It's is not DAC related and more a network issue. Try setting your server to 100 Mbps Full Duplex or enable flow control on a managed switch. In the mean time, I'll look at the 2.8 code to see if we can request it on our end.  

Jesus,

Thats's exactly what I am doing now. My NUC server (Win10) is set to100 Mbps Full Duplex, and streaming is performing OK, no stuttering. I looked at the Flow Control in the Win10 Control Panel, and it is set at "Rx & Tx Enabled" . In fact, I never touched that setting since I got my Nuc i5.

Cheers,

André

5 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Hi, Just tested DSD 256 (via Roon/HQP) to my Holo Spring 2 DAC using the uRendu/2.8 and no problems. Played an entire album with no skips or stutters.

16 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Hello.

Is the ultraRendu compatible with exaSound DACs? I didn't get any hit from searching exaSound in this thread. 

Thank you!

It can certainly support it. However, exaSound does not want to release a the Kernel driver. If you can get the driver or the Kernel patch we will add it. 

48 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

It can certainly support it. However, exaSound does not want to release a the Kernel driver. If you can get the driver or the Kernel patch we will add it. 

Thanks for the very quick reply! Not sure how to interpret, though. Is it that it could support it if exaSound released the driver they do not want to release? I have no special connection to them. I was looking into the e38 in my serch for a multichannel DAC. What's the best 6 or 8 channel DAC you know of to use in connection with an ultraRendu?

Definitely not committed to exaSound. Years ago I tried an e28 and decided not to keep it.

16 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for the very quick reply! Not sure how to interpret, though. Is it that it could support it if exaSound released the driver they do not want to release? I have no special connection to them. I was looking into the e38 in my serch for a multichannel DAC. What's the best 6 or 8 channel DAC you know of to use in connection with an ultraRendu?

Definitely not committed to exaSound. Years ago I tried an e28 and decided not to keep it.

The thing with exaSound is that they use a very unusual, proprietary USB interface which does not conform to the accepted USB class 2 audio standards.   For this reason with their USB interface one must use their proprietary driver, even on Mac OSX, and I do not even know if they have a driver for Linux?  So their system is a bit "closed" and less than compatible with a lot of potential source components. 

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, barrows said:

The thing with exaSound is that they use a very unusual, proprietary USB interface which does not conform to the accepted USB class 2 audio standards.   For this reason with their USB interface one must use their proprietary driver, even on Mac OSX, and I do not even know if they have a driver for Linux?  So their system is a bit "closed" and less than compatible with a lot of potential source components. 

They have one and will not share it.

• 1 month later...