IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

9 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

My suspicion is that the ifi micro idsd dac is problematic - numerous times the urendu shutdown soon after turning on the idsd dac. The well known current draw issue I suppose.

I have an iFi micro iDSD DAC (on my desk, used for testing) and have measured it at times (during battery charge) drawing 650mA from the 5VBUS--in violation of the USB2.0 specification rules (limit is supposed to be 500mA).

Ok, reporting back ... yes, the switch to using the js-2 on the urendu is a fix, & then I re-added in the iso regen before the dac, using the lps-1! All good, sounding exc, for now.

I’ll get the lps-2, for options in the above etc - shipped with the ether regen ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Is there some incompatibility or error to use UR with HQPlayer as NAA (Roon and HQPlayer are installed on NUC-Windows 10) connected on T+A DAC 8 DSD ?

Today I have using ifi iDSD Black DAC running with no problem.

1 hour ago, EduZ said:

Hi guys,

Is there some incompatibility or error to use UR with HQPlayer as NAA (Roon and HQPlayer are installed on NUC-Windows 10) connected on T+A DAC 8 DSD ?

Today I have using ifi iDSD Black DAC running with no problem.

I answered in the other thread. The DAC doesn’t have a driver for Linux. It works up to PCM 384 and DSD 128 with a Linux UAC2 compliant device. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

What exactly does this fix?

Post #1123-4 above.

All good now, for sometime ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

10 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Post #1123-4 above.

All good now, for sometime ...

I'm not following you:) Post #1123 above is just a typical start-up check list. You said above, "the switch to using the js-2 on the urendu is a fix". How is adding a JS-2 a fix and to what issue?

On 5/4/2019 at 9:02 PM, vortecjr said:

I'm not following you:) Post #1123 above is just a typical start-up check list. You said above, "the switch to using the js-2 on the urendu is a fix". How is adding a JS-2 a fix and to what issue?

Surmised that idsd dac was drawing too much power, shutting down the rendu &, as per suggestion in #1124, I tried js-2 to power rendu instead of lps-1. It worked - no issue since, so left it that way.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:43 PM, jamesg11 said:

Surmised that idsd dac was drawing too much power, shutting down the rendu &, as per suggestion in #1124, I tried js-2 to power rendu instead of lps-1. It worked - no issue since, so left it that way.

I own an iFi micro iDSD DAC (used on my desk and for testing) and have personally measured its 5VBUS draw to be as high as 685mA (well above allowed USB2.0 spec) when charging.

So I am not surprised that booting an ultraRendu (which is when the uR draws the most) attached to an iDSD (depending upon its battery’s state of charge) could exceed the 1.1A rating of our UltraCap units.

Every UltraCap unit ever built (both LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 generations) was personally certified on my bench to be able to output at least 1.1A (at all output voltages). Most make it to 1.14A, some get as high as 1.19A, but we software limit them to switch off at 1.2A (those are continuous ratings; they readily handle instantaneous peaks well above that).

• 3 months later...

Bit of a fork here, and a bit of a shot in the dark... but I was wondering if someone has a solution to this?

I currently use my PC for these scenarios:

1. high-res music playback =^)
  2. watching netflix/hulu/youtube/etc
  3. playing video games
  4. general purpose computing

As of now, I've only figured out how to use my ultraRendu for #1.

The ultraRendu is connected to my PC via a second network interface (via a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adaper) that I have shared using Internet Connection Sharing in Windows 10, though that shouldn't matter, really. Suffice it to say, it's a network device.

In order to use the DAC that is connected to the ultraRendu for scenarios #2 - #4, I have to unplug its USB cable from the ultraRendu and then plug it directly into the PC (so that it is seen as a USB sound device by Windows).

I'm just wondering if there is an established way (virtual sound card driver, or the like) where I can make the ultraRendu appear as a sound device to Windows, passing through the capabilities of the attached DAC?

That way I can have the sonic benefits of the ultraRendu all the time, and not just for scenario #1. And I won't have to keep moving my USB cable around and dealing with all of the perturbations that causes.

-jer

5 hours ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

Bit of a fork here, and a bit of a shot in the dark... but I was wondering if someone has a solution to this?

3. playing video games

The ultraRendu is connected to my PC via a second network interface (via a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adaper) that I have shared using Internet Connection Sharing in Windows 10, though that shouldn't matter, really. Suffice it to say, it's a network device.

In order to use the DAC that is connected to the ultraRendu for scenarios #2 - #4, I have to unplug its USB cable from the ultraRendu and then plug it directly into the PC (so that it is seen as a USB sound device by Windows).

I'm just wondering if there is an established way (virtual sound card driver, or the like) where I can make the ultraRendu appear as a sound device to Windows, passing through the capabilities of the attached DAC?

That way I can have the sonic benefits of the ultraRendu all the time, and not just for scenario #1. And I won't have to keep moving my USB cable around and dealing with all of the perturbations that causes.

-jer

We haven't concentrated on these options because they introduce delays. Mixing video and audio on the Rendu is just not recommended. 

5 hours ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

3. playing video games

-jer

It can actually be done using the new “loop back” functionality in HQPlayer 4.  It is a little bit of hassle to set up, but once done it truly works as a virtual sound card.

Latency will be an issue, as mentioned by @vortecjr .  There were some posts in the HQPlayer thread suggesting latency can be mitigated, but I have never tried this.  Also, because the signal path is through Windows audio mixer, sound quality will likely be compromised versus other playback methods.

So it can be done, but with some compromises.

There is a free trial available for HQPlayer if you feel inclined to experiment.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

8 hours ago, Confused said:

It can actually be done using the new “loop back” functionality in HQPlayer 4.  It is a little bit of hassle to set up, but once done it truly works as a virtual sound card.

Latency will be an issue, as mentioned by @vortecjr .  There were some posts in the HQPlayer thread suggesting latency can be mitigated, but I have never tried this.  Also, because the signal path is through Windows audio mixer, sound quality will likely be compromised versus other playback methods.

So it can be done, but with some compromises.

There is a free trial available for HQPlayer if you feel inclined to experiment.

Now that you mention "loopback" mode, I found a similar post for JRMC from 2012 discussing the same thing, even mentioning the same limitations (lip sync, etc.). Pretty amazing what the right search keyword will yield. Thanks, @Confused! :)  

@vortecjr

Any chance of upgrading the ultraRendu with the same output circuits and regulations from opticalRendu, minus the optical connection itself? Like a ultraRendu 1.5 or so?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

11 hours ago, Matias said:

@vortecjr

Any chance of upgrading the ultraRendu with the same output circuits and regulations from opticalRendu, minus the optical connection itself? Like a ultraRendu 1.5 or so?

That is a pretty big special request. The circuits in the ultra Rendu are no slouch, but if that is what you want you can use an Ethernet SFP on the opticalRendu.

According to a big post over 500 posts in " A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming"  ( audiophilestyle.com) it is the new best sounding OS on a pc based system for a lot of users. Much better than windows server or audiolinux. It is also more friendly to install and use, more friendlier than for instance audioLinux

I use as a server a dedicated PC with high end power supply and further modifications to make it sound better

Just read the link, no harm done ;)

https://euphony-audio.com/

:

10 hours ago, kyrill said:

According to a big post over 500 posts in " A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming"  ( audiophilestyle.com) it is the new best sounding OS on a pc based system for a lot of users. Much better than windows server or audiolinux. It is also more friendly to install and use, more friendlier than for instance audioLinux

I use as a server a dedicated PC with high end power supply and further modifications to make it sound better

Just read the link, no harm done ;)

https://euphony-audio.com/

According to that webpage it should work great with our Rendu series.  

Quote of the day

"Thanks very much for the easy ordering process, follow up messages and your excellent products. 

I’ve only spent a few days with the ultraRendu/linear PS combo in this system. I am amazed now that I have heard how much better this combo performs compared to a purpose-built headless 2012 Mac Mini used as a dedicated/exclusive Roon Bridge.  

I just wasn’t prepared for this big of an improvement, WOW!!! Every recording I reach for has been presented with closer to lifelike detail, broader/deeper soundstage, better pace, and much better performer voice/instrument placement. I am amazed by the “new” realistic/coherent experience from streaming services as well as from my favorite library recordings."
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, JUN tyann said:

is ultraRendu able to LAN direct connect to PC without using switching hub.

Both the PC and the Rendu need to have IP addresses assigned to them from a router. There are ways of "bridging" your PC--such that it has two Ethernet connections (one to network, one straight to Rendu), but this takes a bit of work.  I think It is not something that Sonore endorses (not always stable), plus a really good Ethernet switch will sound better than this anyway and avoid the troubles.