IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

11 minutes ago, barrows said:

No worries, did not mean to be aggro!  Manufacturers provide specifications on the output of their products, but not on measurements of internal parts of the circuit.  I am not sure on what kind of measurement we could provide on the USB output of the SRse...

I can offer one measurement of one difference between the Signature Power Supply and the power supply in the SRse:  The AC ripple before the regulator of the SPS is about 44 mV, and the SRse ripple under the same load conditions is about 28 mV.  In addition, the power supply rejection ratio of the regulator is the same in both units.  Before people get all crazy, please remember this is not the ripple/noise of the power supply which the circuitry sees, as the regulator's power supply rejection reduces this level to the tens of micro volts (not milli volts).  Additionally, remember that this the pre-regulated supply, which then goes to the main board where it is filtered and regulated again by the local (ultra low noise, linear) regulators for each stage of the circuit.

So there you have one measured difference between SPS and the power supply internal to the SRse.

Wow... Very gracious!... Thanks for sharing!

On 10/29/2017 at 2:27 AM, flummoxe said:

Opinion sought please.

I've recently (Thursday) added a Innuos Zenith SE (running Roon) to my set which replaces a iMac, and thus far it sounds excellent, a significant upgrade.

I'm initially connecting the Zenith to my Chord Hugo TT DAC from its dedicated Ethernet port via a microRendu 1.4 + LPS-1 which is how it was with the iMac. However, I've read that the USB output is superior. This I tried briefly with a Chord USB SilverPlus cable and I could hear little or no difference. Is the cable not good enough or perhaps the Zenith needs more miles on the clock?

So the question is where to go from here as it's difficult if not impossible to try all the options.

Possible options I have in mind -

Ethernet

1. upgrade to an ultraRendu
  2. as above + ISO REGEN
  3. microRendu + ISO REGEN

USB

1. upgrade the cable to something like a Curious USB
  2. as above + ISO REGEN

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Based on my personal experience, if I were you I'd look into an ultraRendu+LPS-1 (without ISO REGEN) for internet, and Phasure LUSH cable for USB. This combination has been a significant improvement for me, over a microRendu+LPS-1 and ISO REGEN+LPS-1 with Curious USB cable.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

4 hours ago, jaaptina said:

Hello Jesus, 

I'm in the process of selling the microRendu and buying the ultraRendu. In between I will be without a source.

Is the ultraRendu in stock? 

Greetings and thanks! 

Yes. We have units in stock and ready to go.

I picked up a Ciunas ISO-PS a couple of weeks ago after reading the Audio Kinesis room at RMAF last month was using one to power an ultraRendu in thier system and received some nice praise for having great sound. Took about two weeks to receive it and let it charge for about a day. Right off the bat I noticed better clarity and lower noise floor than with the LPS-1 I had been using. There seems to be another level of realism and dimensionality with the ISO-PS powering the ultra whereas by comparison the LPS-1 can sound kinda flat or two dimensional. Not saying one completely outdoes the other because the LPS-1 is still a great ps and I have no intentions to sell it but after doing several comparisons I think the ISO-PS is a bit better, at least for me and my system and my ears. Just wanted to share yet another ps that works great with the ultraRendu that is priced right at around $320 depending on the euro conversion.

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

10 minutes ago, t_ram said:

I picked up a Ciunas ISO-PS a couple of weeks ago after reading the Audio Kinesis room at RMAF last month was using one to power an ultraRendu in thier system and received some nice praise for having great sound. Took about two weeks to receive it and let it charge for about a day. Right off the bat I noticed better clarity and lower noise floor than with the LPS-1 I had been using. There seems to be another level of realism and dimensionality with the ISO-PS powering the ultra whereas by comparison the LPS-1 can sound kinda flat or two dimensional. Not saying one completely outdoes the other because the LPS-1 is still a great ps and I have no intentions to sell it but after doing several comparisons I think the ISO-PS is a bit better, at least for me and my system and my ears. Just wanted to share yet another ps that works great with the ultraRendu that is priced right at around $320 depending on the euro conversion.

Thanks for sharing, batteries can have lower noise floor but my experience is that they compromise on dynamics. Did you feel that the ISO-PS delivered on dynamics as well?

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Thanks for sharing, batteries can have lower noise floor but my experience is that they compromise on dynamics. Did you feel that the ISO-PS delivered on dynamics as well?

Yes, great dynamics. The ps that's recommended to power the ISO-PS is really cheap and is 5v 4a. I leave it plugged in all the time into the ISO. I should say I've been using a battery ps to power the LPS-1 and leave it plugged in all the time too. I have not compared what an LPS-1 powered by a meanwell ps with a shunt cable can do but I did try a shunt cable going into the battery ps that powers the LPS-1 and while it did improve things I still preferred the ISO.

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

24 minutes ago, t_ram said:

Yes, great dynamics. The ps that's recommended to power the ISO-PS is really cheap and is 5v 4a. I leave it plugged in all the time into the ISO. I should say I've been using a battery ps to power the LPS-1 and leave it plugged in all the time too. I have not compared what an LPS-1 powered by a meanwell ps with a shunt cable can do but I did try a shunt cable going into the battery ps that powers the LPS-1 and while it did improve things I still preferred the ISO.

Great to have more choices in the market!

although I don’t see technical details of what type of batteries used and their capacity.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, vortecjr said:

The Schiit EITR is a USB to SPDIF converter and the ultraRendu is a USB source. If you are going to use the converter then you need to compare one source versus another. 

Thanks for your reply. I understand the UltraRendu is a source and the iMac, if used with an Eitr, is still a source. What advantage does the UltraRendu have over a device that is limited to galvanic isolation and re-clocking capability that uses a computer like the iMac as the source?

11 hours ago, fbczar said:

Thanks for your reply. I understand the UltraRendu is a source and the iMac, if used with an Eitr, is still a source. What advantage does the UltraRendu have over a device that is limited to galvanic isolation and re-clocking capability that uses a computer like the iMac as the source?

Would you really want to have a iMac in the audio room with its noisy built in SMPS:) Use your computer as a server and for emails and let the ultraRendu play music.   

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Would you really want to have a iMac in the audio room with its noisy built in SMPS:) Use your computer as a server and for emails and let the ultraRendu play music.   

If the iMac's power supply is so noisy it cannot be in the same room as the DAC what other power supplies are equally problematic? How far away from a DAC would a computer need to be to eliminate the problem of noise from a power supply? Thanks

33 minutes ago, fbczar said:

If the iMac's power supply is so noisy it cannot be in the same room as the DAC what other power supplies are equally problematic? How far away from a DAC would a computer need to be to eliminate the problem of noise from a power supply? Thanks

IMHO this "problem" is massively and continuously over-rated.  Classic audiophilia nervosa.  Sometimes I listen to music with my MBP on the other side of the house, far from my DAC.  Other times, I'm using it in the audio room - sometimes wirelessly, other times plugged into the Orbi extender by ethernet.  There's no difference in SQ - sounds equally good either way.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

5 hours ago, fbczar said:

Did you notice the smile Jesus answer ?

You could buy another MAC and install this

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/mac-mini-dc-conversion-linear-fan-controller-kit-mmk (Yes I’m almost joking)

But you may find this thread interesting

I don’t think you have Roon. You may considder it.

And I think Jesus is offering you a money back guarantee if you don’t find a lift in SQ. 

And you would probably need a LPS-1 as well. 

If you’re lucky, he will offer this as a combo on the Black Friday sale. 

You may even add the SonicTransporter with it’s noisy PS ?

Why ? Read here :

https://www.audiostream.com/content/intel-nuc-sonictransporter-tale-two-mini-computers-running-roon-core

20 hours ago, hurka said:

The list of dealers are on our website:

http://www.sonore.us/dealers.html

20 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

IMHO this "problem" is massively and continuously over-rated.  Classic audiophilia nervosa.  Sometimes I listen to music with my MBP on the other side of the house, far from my DAC.  Other times, I'm using it in the audio room - sometimes wirelessly, other times plugged into the Orbi extender by ethernet.  There's no difference in SQ - sounds equally good either way.

As expected. The point is that you can replace the computer in the audio room with an inconspicuous devices that sounds great and allows you to move your computer around the house as you describe. 

Sold the microRendu last Saturday. Received the ultraRendu this Wednesday. Very happy with the upgrade in sound quality. 

If you look at the sound scape as a picture with ultraRendu it has even more resolution. It's less blurry. So you can see/hear more details. Better separation of sounds that are close together. 

12 hours ago, jaaptina said:

Sold the microRendu last Saturday. Received the ultraRendu this Wednesday. Very happy with the upgrade in sound quality. 

If you look at the sound scape as a picture with ultraRendu it has even more resolution. It's less blurry. So you can see/hear more details. Better separation of sounds that are close together. 

Awesome...thanks for posting your impressions. 

10 minutes ago, jaaptina said:

Interesting coparison to ultraRendu: https://audiobacon.net/2017/11/18

I've got a rather full sounding system in a small room. So it seems ultraRendu is my perfect match. 

One important thing he left out is that the ultraRendu is only 875 USD vs 1,200 USD and 1,400 USD. That means you have money left over to buy a nice linear power supply:)