IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

Hi I want to use an Intel NUC with windows server 2016 GUI as the server for the UltraRendu

I did a search with "windows server 2016" or "server 2016" in this topic but no replies

Are there no Microrendu or ultraRendu users  with a WS2016 server?

My present problem is how to change WS2016 into a music server

I have just updated my mac mini with the latest iTunes package (which maybe coincidental) but now cannot get audirvana to see my UltraRendu.... I have re-booted everything numerous times, in different order yet still stuck with 'built in output'.

Very frustrated, any guidance gratefully received.

21 minutes ago, Frojo said:

I have just updated my mac mini with the latest iTunes package (which maybe coincidental) but now cannot get audirvana to see my UltraRendu.... I have re-booted everything numerous times, in different order yet still stuck with 'built in output'.

Very frustrated, any guidance gratefully received.

I assume you are using MPD/DLNA.

Here is what works for me:

1- Reboot Sonic Orbiter.

2- Go to Settings> MPD/DLNA> Save Changes

Hope it works for you.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

8 hours ago, kyrill said:

Hi I want to use an Intel NUC with windows server 2016 GUI as the server for the UltraRendu

I did a search with "windows server 2016" or "server 2016" in this topic but no replies

Are there no Microrendu or ultraRendu users  with a WS2016 server?

My present problem is how to change WS2016 into a music server

I started out using Windows 2016 on a virtual machine on my Synology NAS as host for Roon Core but found that Roon Core running as a package directly on the Synology NAS was a way more convenient and elegant solution.

Regards

GG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help with playing hi res files please.

I recently inserted an Ultrarendu and Audivarna plus into my system. For the past few weeks I've been listening to Tidal and 16/44 ALAC ripped from my cds and it all sounds very good — no problems. 

Today I tried a FLAC file 24/176 but it will only go to 24/44 

I’ve used 2 dacs - both capable of 176 - but for some reason everything is currently limited to 44 through the rendu.

MQA Tidal - files at 24/96 are played at 24/44

The point is it won’t even play native res -  It seems to be downsampling 24/176  and 24/96 down to  24/44. 

In Preferences:

active audio device: ultra rendu.

beneath that are a line of figures

44  48. 88 96 176  193

But only the 44 is green / active for some reason

If I switch to ‘built in output’ - ie computers internal speakers - I get 44 up to 96 active.

I suspect the blockage is with the ultrarendu. Some check box or other which I’ve missed.

I have deleted and reinstalled shairport and rebooted - no change.

Any suggestions?

System:

iMac with Audivarna+

Ultrarendu

JKenny Cuinas usb-spdif

Eastern Electric Minimax & Metrum Octave (both go up to 176)

Gieseler Gros dac, Ultrarendu with Gieseler PSU, Audivarna, iMac

Elektra Reference  pre/power, B&W805 d3

7 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

@Thibaw

In A+ Preferences:352122485_ScreenShot2018-08-11at12_12_26PM.thumb.png.fc15292a43828e1e2c5e2ac0844c588e.png 

Set Max PCM Sample Rate  and Max PCM bit depth to your DACs maximum. For some reason this has to be set manually with some DACs.

Thanks for that. I tried it resetting maximums to 24/96 and restarted everything, but its still reverting to 24/44

1047764421_ScreenShot2018-08-12at11_01_02am.thumb.png.648f46b91130e7f4d8d096624b867d68.png

664488647_ScreenShot2018-08-12at10_52_27am.thumb.png.b71d1fa90b5e03275b8d05ee79798b02.png

@Thibaw

It looks like you are connecting directly to your DAC instead of using a router/switch. Looks like you have the chosen the Airplay option in the ultraRendu.

Assuming that the computer with A+ is properly installed on your LAN, you need to set the uRendu to MPD/DLNA.

Reboot the uRendu>Settings> mpd/dlna>save changes.

You should then get the screen I posted in my previous post.

I think that is your problem anyway...

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

1 hour ago, rodrigaj said:

@Thibaw

It looks like you are connecting directly to your DAC instead of using a router/switch. Looks like you have the chosen the Airplay option in the ultraRendu.

Assuming that the computer with A+ is properly installed on your LAN, you need to set the uRendu to MPD/DLNA.

Reboot the uRendu>Settings> mpd/dlna>save changes.

You should then get the screen I posted in my previous post.

I think that is your problem anyway...

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Everything is now up and running beautifully.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Russ

1 hour ago, Thibaw said:

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Everything is now up and running beautifully.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Russ

Glad that it worked for you!

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Love to see stuff like this. It’s the spirit of CA. Help people get the most out of our wonderful hobby. 

Thanks guys. 

Yes, indeed

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered my ultraRendu and UltraCap 1.2 on Wednesday and they both arrived today here in Virginia, so awesome customer service and shipping. Very glad to have them both in before the long holiday weekend!

Setup has been a breeze... I am using the uR in Roon mode into the USB DAC of my Marantz ND8006. All is good, settings were simple in both Roon and Sonicorbiter. 

I haven't had a chance to do any critical listening yet, but I am wondering if I'm missing anything on MQA. I believe when I was using my iPhone 6S as a Roon endpoint into the Marantz USB DAC, the front display was showing 96kHz, etc. But playing the same Tidal Masters tracks through the uRendu is only showing 48kHz on the Marantz display.

I noticed several of the MQA threads were shut down on this forum... does the uRendu not support MQA? I was pretty sure Roon handled the unfolding into the Marantz DAC so I'm not sure if I just set up the uR incorrectly in Roon settings. But if it's totally incompatible it would be good to know to save myself some fiddling around.

Thanks!

Having a great afternoon here. First I was using Roon with my ultraRendu and my iMac HDD crashed. No more Roon. Reconfigured the uR for mpd mode as I was previously using and got music playing for about four minutes, there was some static and no more music and uR was gone from network. Restarted uR but still not visible on network. What do I try at this point? Network is working fine, I can still access NAS which is on same switch as uR.

Edit: all of the lights on back of uR look normal.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

48 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

Having a great afternoon here. First I was using Roon with my ultraRendu and my iMac HDD crashed. No more Roon. Reconfigured the uR for mpd mode as I was previously using and got music playing for about four minutes, there was some static and no more music and uR was gone from network. Restarted uR but still not visible on network. What do I try at this point? Network is working fine, I can still access NAS which is on same switch as uR.

Edit: all of the lights on back of uR look normal.

Have you tried restarting the MPD app and then reselecting it in Audio App Switcher?

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

Not visible on the network means you can’t access the sonicorbiter webpage, correct?

I would simply unplug your Ethernet cable, then do a physical power down (unplug, wait 10 sec, replug the uR), replug the Ethernet cable into the uR, and then go into your wifi router settings to assign a permanent IP address to it, this way you know at which address it should be and you can create a shortcut/bookmark to go straight to the uR (rather than go to sonicorbiter.com first)

Once you can access the uR in your browser, you can try what left channel suggests, or if all else fail, I’ve had success reinstalling the main software (even if the current SW version 2.6 matches the latest SW v 2.6), just click the Update in Apps/Software Manager.

Hope it helps

F.

So I just received my Ultrarendu and plugged it all in only to find it won't recognise my Korg dac 100! I have had Jesus take over my computer and he couldn't get it working either. Apparently it's not uac compliant or something. As a long shot just wondering if anyone has come across this problem and may have a work around before i send the unit back. I have emailed Korg and am waiting for a response. I quite like the sound of the korg for 700 bucks I think they are very good and certainly wasn't looking to replace it right now. The ultrarendu works with the cambridge dac built into the amp but it's just not in the same leauge unfortunately.... ?

Can you connect an ultraRendu to a power amp with only a a Dragonfly dac in between? 

I've built a 8 Watt Pass ACA power amp. Now using a Yamaha wxc-50 as streamer/dac/pre. To my surprise it doesn't sound any better as connecting my laptop directly to the power amp. 

A Dragonfly dac between laptop and power amp would improve the sound. 

But I'd also like to hear how my ultraRendu sounds with the ACA. Therefore my question... 

Other suggestions are welcome too! 

1 hour ago, jaaptina said:

Can you connect an ultraRendu to a power amp with only a a Dragonfly dac in between? 

I've built a 8 Watt Pass ACA power amp. Now using a Yamaha wxc-50 as streamer/dac/pre. To my surprise it doesn't sound any better as connecting my laptop directly to the power amp. 

A Dragonfly dac between laptop and power amp would improve the sound. 

But I'd also like to hear how my ultraRendu sounds with the ACA. Therefore my question... 

Other suggestions are welcome too! 

Two issues:
the ultra is Linux based - can the Dragonfly work with a Linux source? It doesn't seem to have the spec, but I've never tried it. 

The DF is designed to connect to a PC/phone USB port and receive audio + power. It doesn't have the right connector for the ultra (although you could probably patch something together), and I'd guess the ultra isn't designed to be powering something like the DF from it's low noise USB out.  That's something you'd need to verify one way or the other. 

You'd probably need to get a similar small DAC that is designed to be used with a more "traditional"  DAC role in an audio setup, so it will match the setup of the Ultra. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The ultraRendu can indeed power a DragonFly (as long as the ultraRendu has adequate ventilation), but whether it can work with the DragonFly USB input is a question which @vortecjr would have to answer.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

20 minutes ago, firedog said:

It doesn't have the right connector for the ultra (although you could probably patch something together), and I'd guess the ultra isn't designed to be powering something like the DF from it's low noise USB out.  That's something you'd need to verify one way or the other. 

Hi Danny.

Not sure why you would say that since:

a) The Dragonfly has a male USB ‘A’ plug sticking out—so it will plug right into the USB ‘A’ output of the ultraRendu;

b) The ultraRendu has a 1-amp regulator dedicated to supplying 5VBUS to DACs/headphone amps that need it (and that’s much more than the 0.5A the USB2.0 spec limits devices to).  So no problem there.

I can’t speak to the Linux compatibility of the Dragonfly, though I bet it works with standard drivers.