IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

The product description says "Supports Tidal and Qobuz lossless streaming in Squeezelite output mode and DLNA output mode" but there are not configuration details on the online user manual page. Anyone care to share setup details? Qobuz in particular, as we can't use Roon to make that one easier, but Tidal setup for this mode would also be a good example.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

2 hours ago, Charente said:

@left channel ... not sure if this helps, but I spotted this on Qobuz's website 

http://www.qobuz.com/FR-fr/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Tutoriel-Logitech-Media-Server179701

In French but you could run it through Google Translate (sort of !).

1 hour ago, rlow said:

I think it would be the same as Tidal, except whatever software you use to login and control playback, you simply log into Qobuz instead.

For instance I use BubbleUPNP for Android, and the same spot I can enable Tidal, also has an option to sign in to Qobuz right above it.

Thanks @Charente! That article was only posted just over one week ago. Chrome's built-in Translate did the trick. (I regret to say I've studied only Spanish and Mandarin.) What I needed was one little secret buried in there. It is not in the App Gallery, but it can be added elsewhere. @rlow I don't know BubbleUPnP, but it is the same as Tidal in LMS except it requires a somewhat unofficial third-party plug-in hidden deep inside the Settings > Plugins tab.

I am now streaming hi-res Qobuz tracks from LMS. The interface is certainly not Qobuz or Roon, but I'm getting most of my money's worth. Very happy. I already had Tidal HiFi working in LMS. If I want MQA I don't think that can be done even with LMS bit perfect tweaks, but I'll poke around.

The above experiment was performed on a microJukebox, but I now feel better about ordering an ultraRendu. Thank you.

15 hours ago, rlow said:

BubbleUPNP is if you run DNLA output mode, plus the BubbleUPNP server plugin app from within Sonicorbiter and configure as an "OpenHome renderer". BubbleUPNP actually has an excellent interface IMO, but again, is Android only.

Thanks, I appreciate BubbleUPnP and did try it briefly with the same server and that Android app, but I like using Squeezer for Android to control the LMS server. The Windows LMS interface, not so much. Roon is still going to be hard to resist, and I'm sure we would get what we pay for. Resistance is futile? :-)

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

I do not know Sonicorbiter but a very straightforward way of setting up Tidal and Qobuz in DLNA/UPnP streaming mode on Debian/Raspbian system is via upmpdcli. If the uR supports installing upmpdcli (see https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/), all you have to do is to type in your Tidal and/or Qobuz credential in the upmpdcli configuration file. I have been using upmpdcli for more than two years and it works flawlessly. It is possible that Sonicorbiter implements a different mechanism, of course. Perhaps Sonore can provide a pointer to some documentation?

Thanks, that's very interesting too. But I'm all set now, as you'll see in my previous post. Turns out there is a third-party Qobuz plugin for LMS (which had to be installed manually from the volunteer dev's website until a very recent LMS update). It is now distributed with LMS, but hidden deep inside LMS settings instead of the usual App Gallery.

22 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi JR @vortecjr

Do you know if the new Pro-Ject Pre Digital S2 DAC works at both DSD512 and PCM768kHz with the micro/ultraRendu ?

http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=s2-line&lang=en

13 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It's hard to say what the limitations are with that device. The only way to know is to see the DAC Diagnostics and to try it. I would expect some issues. 

I don't have my ultraRendu yet, but here's the same thing from a microJukebox. As far as I can tell the features are in there. I have played DSD256 (DoP) and of course 24/192. It's getting a player to provide higher DSD or PCM that would be the challenge. Try HQPlayer.

dacdiagnostics.thumb.jpg.e368942fd0395c6203ace54a87734451.jpg

@barrows someone did post that he got Roon to send DSD512 to this DAC, but somehow at 768 kHz. I have no idea what was happening there.

@Em2016 this is way over the head of anyone at Pro-Ject support. They normally rely on audiophile staff at local dealers to get into this level of detail. And John has pretty much moved on to new projects (not Pro-Ject's).

We should move this discussion to the main thread for the Pre Box S2 Digital, instead of hijacking this one. But just for the record, the marketing materials do say DSD512 and sometimes DSD1024 (usually qualified as downsampled to DSD512), but I think those and the manual were written by someone in marketing long before the product was even close to finished. I've been distributing other corrections to that manual for quite some time.

3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

All noted!

My query is specific to a micro/ultraRendu source playing to this DAC and whether Native DSD512 is supported.

If someone had it working with DSD512 it must be native DSD512 because Roon doesn't support >PCM768k at present. 

No he was upsampling to that rate somehow. I found the conversation. Remember this? https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34777-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-mqa-hw-decoding-at-reasonable-cost/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-725563 

As I recall he has a self-built Linux endpoint, but it seems to me the xRendus would not be a barrier if you could get Roon to cooperate.

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Depending on when the device was added to the Kernel we may already have it. However, one report above said native did not work so we have to take that into account. I'm not sure what version of Sonicorbiter he has and that can alter the outcome. I can tell you we have a much new Kernel so in theory it might already be there. Either way I do have the information so no worries.    

Thanks! We have it direct from the designer that this DAC will work in native; turns out it was just feeding it properly that we were struggling with. The same guy who got it working in Linux with Roon has now successfully tested native DSD512 in Windows.

Based on all the help and reassurance I've gotten from this thread, I've finally ordered an ultraRendu. With the LPS-1 backordered until January 18th, I've also purchased a cheap linear wall-wart that I hope to use until then. The iFi iPower is not an option here, as reports say it may interfere with my nearby ham radios, and not really in the "cheap" range.

Feel free to warn me away from that Reliapro adapter, but in general I don't mind adding add another one of those things to my collection. They are so big and get so hot, I could probably use a power strip full of them to warm my feet if the heat goes out! And it is linear, not switching. Should be good enough for the first month or so.

Any opinions/guidance on the Sonore DC-4 cable for the LPS-1?

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Confused said:

Yes, Shareport works fine with iTunes and actually sounds pretty decent.  It is not the best protocol to use and it is restricted to 16/48, so something like Roon RAAT is superior.  So there is a small SQ penalty, but it works fine and it has rock solid stability.

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Thanks for info, re Shareport.

*Shairport. Shareport is also a thing. But it's a different thing. :-)

• 5 months later...
48 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

Having a great afternoon here. First I was using Roon with my ultraRendu and my iMac HDD crashed. No more Roon. Reconfigured the uR for mpd mode as I was previously using and got music playing for about four minutes, there was some static and no more music and uR was gone from network. Restarted uR but still not visible on network. What do I try at this point? Network is working fine, I can still access NAS which is on same switch as uR.

Edit: all of the lights on back of uR look normal.

Have you tried restarting the MPD app and then reselecting it in Audio App Switcher?

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I haven’t tried it but it seems like a good option. 

8 hours ago, bobflood said:

It has been quite some time since I used that approach but one thing it required then was using the ickStream plug-in/server to get 44.1/16 material. That server project was no longer actively supported at the end although it was left operating. There may be a more direct method now but since I now use Roon/Tidal/Qobuz, I really don't know for sure.

No worries, the Deezer plugin for LMS moved on from IckStream to mysqueezbox years ago, and probably works entirely independently by now. I don't use Deezer myself, but I've also read that third-party apps can't access Deezer Hi-Fi, which is a shame, but other than that it seems to work well. The Qobuz plugin for LMS works at all resolutions supported by that service.

9 hours ago, Vangelis said:

I do half of my listening to Radio Paradise, an Internet based radio site that I am addicted to, it's my go to spot for new music. I’m not sure if this is accessible via the UltraRendu. You can stream Radio Paradise from some devices at full FLAC Quality and other devices it’s its as low as 320. It’s a pretty popular site so I was wondering if any one has been able to access this with some application on the UR?

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I don't know about Radio Paradise, but maybe LMS supports it.

The Radio Paradise FLAC streaming plug-in for LMS is excellent. The latest version adds the ability to login to your RP account to rate tracks and access favorites.

12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Can you show the setup?

2 hours ago, firedog said:

You go to: LMS>Settings>Plugins

Radio Paradise is listed. Just click the box and restart LMS. It will show up as an app from the main menu. 

Exactly. It's just that simple once you have LMS ("Squeezebox Server") and Squeezelite running on your ultraRendu.To install them go to the management page, and in the Apps tab open Software Manager. (I have LMS on a separate Sonicorbiter server.)

If you want use your RP account to rate tracks and access favorites, go to the Advanced tab, select Radio Paradise from the menu, and enter your username and password. This is not required.

LMS and all plugins are free. I highly recommend the Material Design plugin, and for Windows the Squeezelite-X player:

lms-rp1.jpg.f348d8ae9f1ef2bd5ee21d0508b53ddc.jpg

lms-rp2.jpg.cbfc94d1b05c352235a15df470dae8dd.jpg

lms-rp3.jpg.691e3c2dde22a81b9e0031629c15187b.jpg

12 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Guess I can’t hide ignorance of several concepts here apparently available via Sonicorbiter. What is LMS?  How do I install the Radio Paradise FLAC streaming plug-in on the UltraRendu? really like the idea of have control of my Radio Paradise account. 

Does my previous post immediately above answer your install questions? LMS is Logitech Media Server, formerly (and sometimes still) known as Squeezebox Server. LMS is a thriving ecosystem, originally based on now-discontinued hardware that Logitech still supports, available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Sonicorbiter, Rasberry PI, and more), supported by a staff developer as well as volunteers who have produced many plugins as well as players like Squeezelite-X for Windows shared above. The support forum is here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/