IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

1 hour ago, gbryant said:

Do any of you use a nas, such as the 4 bay synology, or 5 bay Drobo,with the rendu computer?

If so, can you elaborate on your experience.

I currently use several external drives. I manually copy my downloads to each of them. I am thinking of a 4bay nas in raid.

I have a Synology 5 bay NAS and use it all the time with the unit's MPD/DLNA output mode.

6 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I noticed when I set up my ultraRendu in Roon that Roon describes it as "uncertified". It doesn't appear to affect its performance but does that mean something?

That's because it's not certified yet. They have it in house and it should be certified during their next update. No impact in performance.   

• vortecjr featured and unfeatured this topic

16 hours ago, Kilauea50 said:

I have the LPS-1 connected to the IsoRegen and, right now, I am using the Mean Well with the uR.  Should I change this?  

13 hours ago, firedog said:

AC's to Uptone, that's the recommended configuration.

I didn't think this was right and so I emailed John to get his take.

John says,

"I would not say it is recommended. In my system putting an ISO REGEN after the ultraRendu does not improve anything at all, so for me I would put the LPS-1 on the ultraRendu and go to the DAC.

If someone REALLY wants to put the ISO REGEN after ultraRendu then the LPS-1 should definitely be driving the ISO REGEN. If the only other power supply you have is the mean well, I would also try a Y cable so the LPS-1 can drive both and compare that with the mean well on the ultraRendu."

37 minutes ago, Kilauea50 said:

After Jesus suggested I testing power supplies, I now have the Mean Well powering the IsoRegen and the LPS-1 powering the uR.  To this point, this is the best setup.  I have removed the IsoReg and listened to only the uR but I still prefer the IsoReg in the chain without question.  

In my mind your a prime candidate for a Y cable. 

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Sorry for the confusion. I got an answer from Alex about the mR and the ISORegen, and he definitely recommended using the LPS-1 with the ISO, and if you only have a lesser PS, using that one with the mR.  In other words, ISO closest to DAC, powered by LPS-1 in this setup. I assumed the same applied to the uR. 

That's what I get for assuming....

Every vendor is going to want the best power supply on their product:)

5 hours ago, tboooe said:

This is precisely what I am struggling with in trying to figure out if I should get the ultraRendu.  When I tested a friend's microRendu before getting the IsoRegen, it made a nice difference in place of my low powered pc acting as an NAA.  However, I now have the IsoRegen.  Decisions decisions.

I wouldn't rule out updating your original microRendu with the 1.4 hardware.

2 hours ago, jbm0 said:

Neither did I!  The microRendu with LPS-1 sounded so much better than the other transports I'd compared it with that I assumed there couldn't be much room for improvement.  Turns out there was still farther to go.

It's kind of disconcerting.

Let's just enjoy the moment:)

8 minutes ago, Confused said:

I have a funny feeling of deja vu here!   That is with respect to similar posts a year ago regarding powering the microRendu  and various USB devices with LPS-1.  In my case the Mutec MC3+USB, which does indeed work just fine with an LPS-1 powered microRendu.  I recall Mutec advising the USB draw of the MC3+USB is about 350mA.  So yes, it looks like this one would be fine.

I don't recall a single complaint from a micro/ultraRendu owner not being able to power their USB audio device when paired with an LPS-1 power supply. Same for all the power supplies we recommend.  

9 hours ago, soupdujour said:

I just sent this note to Alex at UpTone.  These are my initial impressions:

Hi Alex,

So I just put the ISO REGEN back into the system.  The current signal route is something like this:  NAS -> AudioQuest Vodka ethernet -> ultraRendu (powered by LPS-1) -> Nordost Heimdall 2 1m USB cable -> ISO REGEN (powered by JS-2) -> USPCB A>B Adapter -> Brooklyn DAC (powered by JS-2).  For the test track I chose "I Fall in Love Too Easily" from the Japanese Import CD of Miles Davis' "Seven Steps to Heaven".  All I can say is that it took only a few notes of the piano that begins that track for me to realize that something exquisite had just been added (returned) to the setup.  Since I was skeptical that I would discern any added benefit with both the uR and IR in place, I'm just amazed at how much the two in tandem add to the listening experience.  I'm going to play around with this setup for a day or two.  Then I will post something to the ultraRendu forum.  I'm again amazed!  Thanks Alex.  

Cheers,
Nick

Just keep in mind when you power the IsoRegen and the DAC from the same power supply you defeat the isolation. My DAC is used for shows and when it out I use my JS-2 to feed my Brooklyn DAC and my microRendu. I would not be worried so much though because at least you are bypassing the internal switching supply of the Brooklyn DAC. Out of curiosity what voltage are you using into the Brooklyn DAC? 

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

1) About the improved 'clock' on UltraRendu, or about using external clocks...
That should not have an effect on DAC's that support "Asynchronous USB", correct?

What am I missing (e.g., are DAC's not using Async USB mode)?

2) How about the multi-core complex on UltarRendu?... besides supporting DDR3, is it faster or more compute-capable relative to microRendu?

Thanks.

That just controls how data gets from the computer to DAC. It does nothing for the quality of the signal itself or the quality of the 5V power the USB cable carries.

The processor and RAM is the same as on the microRendu.

11 hours ago, Kendrick said:

I’m using the ultraRendu with a .75 meter Sonore DC4 power cable,  a .8 meter Curious USB cable, and a Uptone Audio LPS-1.  After a few days to allow for burn-in of the uR and new cables, the music presentation is clearer, deeper, and more involving on an emotional level than the mR which preceded it.  Good recordings simply sound better, but what is really surprising is that average quality recordings have new life and vibrancy now.  I frequently notice this when Roon Radio serves up some seldom listened to tracks and the music seems much more listenable than before.  The uR seems to unravel complex passages better, too.  With classical music, violins, violas, and cellos are now more distinct than with the mR.  My system has never sounded better!  I'm a very happy customer.  

Cheers to Al Jones and others who found creative solutions to using a USB adapter with the uR.  For those not willing to perform “cable surgery” to accommodate a tight 90 degree bend, a high quality USB cable like Curious seems to work really well with the uR.  

Speaking of cables, the DC4 cable is a must have with the Uptone Audio LPS-1.  The power supply almost sounds “broken” without it.  That said, the short 12” length of the DC4 cable seems better suited to the mR rather than the uR.  Sonore was kind enough to make a special .75 meter length for me and it works great.  With the longer cable, the uR and LPS-1 can be placed on separate shelfs of my rack for a cleaner look.  Perfect!

Previous streaming source:  mR>LPS-1 with Sonore USB Adapter and DC4 cable

I really enjoyed your post...enjoy!

1 hour ago, unbalanced output said:

Could you elaborate a little on timing effects on this "asynchronous" mode? I know that synchronizing information between computers with different data rates may sometimes be a disaster, however i read claims that in this mode the effects of jitter in the first clock and transmission are minimised.

We are at the point were speculation about this is no longer going to move the chain forward. John is rebuilding his lab and is going to design / make custom instruments to be able to measure things in new ways. He has some interesting ideas about these interactions and will have more to say about it in time. 

19 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Umhh... The point I'm trying to make us this:

For a USB interface, there are 3 modes of transferring data:

1) Synchonous - Clock in micro/ultraRendu is used (least desirable)

2) Adaptive - DAC attempts to sync with or adapt to clock in micro/ultraRendu.

3) Asynchronous - Clock in micro/ultraRendu is not used at all!... Hence the name Asynchronous (most desirable mode for data transfer).

But I guess I'm missing an understanding of the purpose of the clocks in the micro/ultraRendu... Can you please elaborate?

Thanks.

The clocks in our products are utilized for the processor and the USB hub chip

58 minutes ago, ssh said:

Received my ultraRendu, coupled it with an LPS with the custom faceplate, removed my microRendu fiddled with Roon, and, in about five minutes I was listening. I am listening to an Igor Levit recording. I might as well have been in the room it was recorded in. Wonderful!

That is awesome...lol.

20 minutes ago, HookEm said:

What a refreshingly honest comment, thank you!

It's called "placebo effect"... which usually surfaces after the "buy" (Psy 101: we inherently have a need to justify our actions).

BTW, I do not mean to suggest ultraRendu is not an excellent product, for all I know it may very well be best in class, but the hyperbole on this thread sometimes is a bit over the top.

This device is delivering digital blocks of 'bit perfect' data to a DAC, most likely using an Async protocol... so I'd expect that if it helps in reducing jitter, it has done its job... and if it does that job better than competing products in its price range, then it is the device to buy!

But please keep the reviews and comments coming (I'm listening), but please do try to keep it real!

Thanks!

I disagree. I recently bought a bed that was a lot of money. They said it was top of the line and that it was a "plush". I would love to justify my action, but that thing is a "firm" and I hate it. I hate it so much I dragged it out of the room into my dining room (I'm staring at the stupid thing as a type this email) and I went out and bought another bed. I bought a SleepNumber bed and I love it! My SleepNumber is 35. If you think audiophiles hyperbole is interesting you should hear me and my buddies talking about these beds:)