IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

1 hour ago, gbryant said:

Do any of you use a nas, such as the 4 bay synology, or 5 bay Drobo,with the rendu computer?

If so, can you elaborate on your experience.

I currently use several external drives. I manually copy my downloads to each of them. I am thinking of a 4bay nas in raid.

I have a Synology 5 bay NAS and use it all the time with the unit's MPD/DLNA output mode.

2 hours ago, gbryant said:

Do any of you use a nas, such as the 4 bay synology, or 5 bay Drobo,with the rendu computer?

If so, can you elaborate on your experience.

I currently use several external drives. I manually copy my downloads to each of them. I am thinking of a 4bay nas in raid.

I use a 4 bay QNAP in my system to store my music but I'm not sure what you mean by "rendu computer". It's an adapter between Ethernet and USB, you still need a computer or server someplace in your system. 

6 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I noticed when I set up my ultraRendu in Roon that Roon describes it as "uncertified". It doesn't appear to affect its performance but does that mean something?

That's because it's not certified yet. They have it in house and it should be certified during their next update. No impact in performance.   

• vortecjr featured and unfeatured this topic

16 hours ago, Kilauea50 said:

I have the LPS-1 connected to the IsoRegen and, right now, I am using the Mean Well with the uR.  Should I change this?  

13 hours ago, firedog said:

AC's to Uptone, that's the recommended configuration.

I didn't think this was right and so I emailed John to get his take.

John says,

"I would not say it is recommended. In my system putting an ISO REGEN after the ultraRendu does not improve anything at all, so for me I would put the LPS-1 on the ultraRendu and go to the DAC.

If someone REALLY wants to put the ISO REGEN after ultraRendu then the LPS-1 should definitely be driving the ISO REGEN. If the only other power supply you have is the mean well, I would also try a Y cable so the LPS-1 can drive both and compare that with the mean well on the ultraRendu."

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

John says,

"I would not say it is recommended. In my system putting an ISO REGEN after the ultraRendu does not improve anything at all, so for me I would put the LPS-1 on the ultraRendu and go to the DAC.

If someone REALLY wants to put the ISO REGEN after ultraRendu then the LPS-1 should definitely be driving the ISO REGEN. If the only other power supply you have is the mean well, I would also try a Y cable so the LPS-1 can drive both and compare that with the mean well on the ultraRendu."

If that's the case, at least for John's system, if you're using an ISO Regen it should be used between server and dac.  There's no need for an endpoint with the ISO Regen.  On the other hand, if you're using an endpoint there's no point in using an ISO Regen.  Maybe it's different with the standard mR or another endpoint.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:32 AM, Kilauea50 said:

I removed the IsoReg and put it back after 1 song. The uR is fantastic alone but the IsoReg will be staying in my setup.  

Just so I can understand what your doing, are you saying you prefer the sound you're getting with an ultraRendu powered by a MeanWell followed by an IsoRegen powered by an LPS-1 versus just an ultraRendu powered by an LPS-1? 

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

1 minute ago, t_ram said:

Just so I can understand what your doing, are you saying you prefer the sound you're getting with an ultraRendu powered by a MeanWell followed by an IsoRegen powered by an LPS-1 versus just an ultraRendu powered by an LPS-1? 

After Jesus suggested I testing power supplies, I now have the Mean Well powering the IsoRegen and the LPS-1 powering the uR.  To this point, this is the best setup.  I have removed the IsoReg and listened to only the uR but I still prefer the IsoReg in the chain without question.  

On 7/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, rlow said:

Would love to order one of these, but $1400 Canadian after shipping, exchange and tax is a bit too much for my blood right now - maybe someday...when the flippin CAD goes up!

I'm looking forward to the reviews however in the meantime! Hopefully we'll get some really critical listeners chiming in with their listening impressions.

EDIT: To clarify, that cost is with the iFi power supply included.

i'm in the same boat..might send in my MR for the 1.4 update...but the jury is still out

on if an iso regen would enhance sound still further

(i'm using and lps1 and dc 4 cable too so my koolaid is always topped up ;)

37 minutes ago, Kilauea50 said:

After Jesus suggested I testing power supplies, I now have the Mean Well powering the IsoRegen and the LPS-1 powering the uR.  To this point, this is the best setup.  I have removed the IsoReg and listened to only the uR but I still prefer the IsoReg in the chain without question.  

In my mind your a prime candidate for a Y cable. 

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

John says,

John:

Are you saying that the ultraRendu makes the ISO REGEN redundant, regardless of power supply used--at least in your system?

Regards,

Guido.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

John says,

Sorry for the confusion. I got an answer from Alex about the mR and the ISORegen, and he definitely recommended using the LPS-1 with the ISO, and if you only have a lesser PS, using that one with the mR.  In other words, ISO closest to DAC, powered by LPS-1 in this setup. I assumed the same applied to the uR. 

That's what I get for assuming....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

20 hours ago, Al Jones said:

It can be done.

UR connections.jpg

Thanks for sharing. As I expected, only the ethernet cable is the issue. The DC connector issue is easy to fix because there are right angle adapters.

The USPCB is getting a reputation for bettering any USB cable so it's nice to see this.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Sorry for the confusion. I got an answer from Alex about the mR and the ISORegen, and he definitely recommended using the LPS-1 with the ISO, and if you only have a lesser PS, using that one with the mR.  In other words, ISO closest to DAC, powered by LPS-1 in this setup. I assumed the same applied to the uR. 

That's what I get for assuming....

Every vendor is going to want the best power supply on their product:)

16 hours ago, Guidof said:

John:

Are you saying that the ultraRendu makes the ISO REGEN redundant, regardless of power supply used--at least in your system?

Regards,

Guido.

This is precisely what I am struggling with in trying to figure out if I should get the ultraRendu.  When I tested a friend's microRendu before getting the IsoRegen, it made a nice difference in place of my low powered pc acting as an NAA.  However, I now have the IsoRegen.  Decisions decisions.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

5 hours ago, tboooe said:

This is precisely what I am struggling with in trying to figure out if I should get the ultraRendu.  When I tested a friend's microRendu before getting the IsoRegen, it made a nice difference in place of my low powered pc acting as an NAA.  However, I now have the IsoRegen.  Decisions decisions.

I wouldn't rule out updating your original microRendu with the 1.4 hardware.

Dammit, dammit, dammit.

I've swapped my new UltraRendu into several places where I'd gotten used to (and really enjoyed) the sound of a microRendu, and the improvement isn't even subtle.

I've had to order a second Ultra.  Dammit.

(I've also got a 1.4-board microRendu update in transit, so I'll eventually see where that falls in the continuum.  But the UltraRendu is so good.)

Latest place I've tried it: feeding the Meridian Prime, whose DAC is currently my closest-to-high-quality MQA player.

I've generally strongly preferred multibit Schiit DACs to the Prime's DAC for any straight-PCM (non-MQA-encoded) material, but ended up preferring the Prime when it has MQA to render...  but the Prime (whose DAC is USB-only) seems to be pretty sensitive to what's driving it.

With the Prime's analog electronics powered by Meridian's companion outboard power supply and its digital section using USB power straight from an LPS-1-powered microRendu, it was sounding pretty darned good... but with the UltraRendu swapped in, the sound just floats in the air the way you want it to, MQA or not.  The thing is apparently capable of more than I'd realized, as long as its source is very very good.

23 hours ago, jbm0 said:

Dammit, dammit, dammit.

I've swapped my new UltraRendu into several places where I'd gotten used to (and really enjoyed) the sound of a microRendu, and the improvement isn't even subtle.

Yep, can whole heartedly agree with that. the improvement is pretty large!! and its only been here for 5hrs

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

1 hour ago, Jiffi32 said:

Yep, can whole heartedly agree with that. the improvement is pretty large!! and its only been here for 5hrs

Me too. I've spent 7 hours with it and think that it is a very nice improvement over the mrendu.  I didn't think that this level of improvement was possible over lps-1 powered mrendu.  Tighter, more detailed textured bass, improved separation and punch are the initial things that stand out.

Ade

22 minutes ago, Apmusson said:

I didn't think that this level of improvement was possible over lps-1 powered mrendu.

Neither did I!  The microRendu with LPS-1 sounded so much better than the other transports I'd compared it with that I assumed there couldn't be much room for improvement.  Turns out there was still farther to go.

It's kind of disconcerting.

2 hours ago, jbm0 said:

Neither did I!  The microRendu with LPS-1 sounded so much better than the other transports I'd compared it with that I assumed there couldn't be much room for improvement.  Turns out there was still farther to go.

It's kind of disconcerting.

Let's just enjoy the moment:)

18 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Let's just enjoy the moment:)

Is that a 305 Pitbull reference?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's