IGNORED

MATRIX X-SPDIF 2 ('32Bit/768kHz DSD512 Hifi Audio USB Interface')

• 3 weeks later...
On 28.6.2017 at 4:47 PM, Bamber said:

Thank you for letting us know it works without issues.

I'm going to wait for someone to compare this to a SU-1 before deciding which to order.

Have you gotten any comparisons ?

Does it "need" modification similar to the ones that can be done on the SU-1 ?

• 4 months later...

So I purchased an xspidf2 last week and just receive the unit yesterday. I am using it with a W4S DAC-2v2se via the i2s unfortunately the xsdif2 plays DSD material out of phase, but only when playing DSD. PCM plays perfectly fine. I have some test tracks that are out of phase halfway through and you can easily hear that it is playing out of phase when in DSD mode. Frustrating that it happens only with DSD material. I’ve tried all combinations of dip switches and configuration changes that I can think of, but I can not get it to stop playing DSD material out of phase. Tried using both roon and hqplayer via microrendu  to the xpdif2 into the w4s.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

I'm not sure I am reading that right. The UltraDigital is a different product and seems to have jumper settings to fix this problem. So are you suggestion I return the xspdif2 and get an Ultradigital? Or is this something that a new firmware for the microRendu might fix?

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

I made a custom hdmi cable so I could swap two pins and the problem was fixed. But this product is absolutely not compatible with the W4S DAC out of the box, confirmed by both Matrix and W4S.

• 1 month later...

I have a W4S DAC-2v2SE and their Recovery. Does this product exclude the Recovery? Which then sounds better?

After all this, if I buy the xspidf2 I also have to make a custom cable to make it work with my DAC? Can this cable be purchased?

Or, is there another solution to all this? Like JBNY says - buy the Ultradigital? (I'm not sure what that is yet....)

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

I have the Recovery and had been using it with my W4S-2v2se since last year and with the DAC-2DSDse before that. I think the the MATRIX X-SPDIF 2 via i2s sounds MUCH better than using the Recovery. The sound is bigger more expansive, the imaging became more noticeable. I can also do native DSD up to DSD256 now using the microRendu.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 11:51 AM, enser said:

Anyone else using this DDC? Mods? LDOs and regulation stages look pretty solid, but I have yet to crack it open... prob will next week and post some pics. The chassis is top notch-

I am going to buy one. Not too sure if it'll be in April or not. I am running the F-1 now,  powered by the ultra-Rendu, - (no external power).

I am hoping that the powered Matrix will sound better than the F-1. Matrix + LPS will be hugely more expensive than the F-1: so I'm hoping that the gains are substantial.

Cheers,

I own both X-SPDIF 2 and SU-1 in addition to Gustard U12, Melodious MX-U8, LKS USB-100, and am afraid to say that the possible difference between F-1 and X-SPDIF 2 would be within a presumable range.
What I could not presume was the combination of X-Sabre PRO and X-SPDIF 2 in synchronous mode with jitter reducer off.  See the posts by the North America Matrix Audio distributor and me in Head-fi.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I need to have a custom HDMI cable made so that my Matrix X-SPDIF unit is fully compatible with my Wyred-4Sound 2v2se 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC and it apparently involves changing 2 pin connections regarding the LRCK+/-. Does anybody know of a person who can make this custom HDMI cable for me?

6 hours ago, Jeff Mann said:

I need to have a custom HDMI cable made so that my Matrix X-SPDIF unit is fully compatible with my Wyred-4Sound 2v2se 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC and it apparently involves changing 2 pin connections regarding the LRCK+/-. Does anybody know of a person who can make this custom HDMI cable for me?

Try blue jeans cables or Ghent audio

On 9/2/2019 at 3:10 PM, bilboda said:

Try blue jeans cables or Ghent audio

They do not offer custom HDMI cables so I have decided to make my own custom HDMI cable even though I have no soldering experience. It is my understanding that the problem with W4S DAC's is that they will invert phase when using a DSD signal input from the Matrix X-SPDIF unit - when using a standard HDMI cable. So, apparently I have to change two wiring endpoints at one end (? input end) of a HDMI cable. I was thinking of using a HDMI cable breakout connector at the input end - see https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Plug-Terminal-Block-Breakout/dp/B075Q8HG2B

My question - which two wiring points do I need to reverse at one end of the HDMI cable? I initially thought that I would have to change the LRCLK +/- wiring endpoints (points 7 and 9), but I now suspect that I actually need to change the data +/- wiring endpoints (points 1 and 3). What is the correct answer?

Jeff.