IGNORED

ES9038PRO SABRE DAC chip

W4S upgrades their DAC 2 DSDse to v2 with the 9038. With no other changes than the chip swap, huge improvement.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

3 hours ago, rah50 said:

W4S upgrades their DAC 2 DSDse to v2 with the 9038. With no other changes than the chip swap, huge improvement.

I could be wrong but IIRCC they do not just swap the chip. I have a good friend that has done this, he was one of the first to do it, and he told me there was more to it then just the chip swap. However, I can say the chip makes a very worthwhile improvement. So much so that I am really impressed with this DAC vs the previous one. I highly recommend that it should be checked out.

But, as with all things audio the proof is in how well the recipe is cooked and not just in the quality of the ingredients. W4S has done very well with this NEW ingredient.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Oppo Sonica is using it. Going to buy one, but haven't got it yet...

Interested to know your thoughts when you have it and am able to really test it.  Will you measure it too?  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

1 hour ago, hifial said:

I could be wrong but IIRCC they do not just swap the chip. I have a good friend that has done this, he was one of the first to do it, and he told me there was more to it then just the chip swap. However, I can say the chip makes a very worthwhile improvement. So much so that I am really impressed with this DAC vs the previous one. I highly recommend that it should be checked out.

But, as with all things audio the proof is in how well the recipe is cooked and not just in the quality of the ingredients. W4S has done very well with this NEW ingredient.

There was extensive work done to add a heatsink to the chip due to overheating at DSD 256 rate since the swap couldn't accommodate the heat pad under the new chip. And there may possibly have been one small change to accommodate a higher current draw somewhere. But as close to just a chip swap as could be to get a good comparison of new vs old chip. A much improved DAC.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables