IGNORED

Mac midi settings

fand1

I am running running a mac mini>almarra Weiss Dac 2 system.

My mac mini is my first intro into the strange and somewhat beguiling mac world.

However my question is, when adjusting the Audio Midi setup, I set output to 44.1k (i only have ripped cds at this time)

However, for format it only gives me the option of 2CH - 32 Bit, does that mean the mac is converting it to 32bit pior to sending the data to the dac?

Aurender N100H> USB(Darkside Cable) > Mcintosh D1100 Digital Preamp > Darkside Cable balanced interconnect  >  Mcintosh MC302 Amp  > SpectralMH-770  Speaker Cables  >  Martin Logan Prodigys

The Weiss runs at 32 bits, so I suspect that the Weiss drivers are converting everything to 32 bits using their own dithered conversion (not Apple). No need to worry about it, my RME Fireface does the same thing. The Weiss conversions are very, very, good.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

counter-intuitively, the audio-midi settings should be set:

The same as the sample rate ( NOT the highest )

The widest bit width available for that interface

All that happens is that the Mac appends the appropriate '0's that the the DAC wants ( so in this case for redbook, the audio will occupy the top 16 bits, and 0's the lowest ).

No dithering required.

your friendly neighbourhood idiot

When using a DAC that displays the word length and sample rate I can verify this DAC sees CDs as 16/44.1 even though my audio card is set at 32 bits (hard coded). This also brings up methods DACs use to determine the word length. I have some 20-bit content that iTunes says is 24-bit. When playing back through the dCS Paganini DAC it correctly reads it as 20-bit. So, iTunes and the dCS are reading things differently. One may be reading the header and the other may be reading the actual audio data. Not totally sure.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks guys, that was really quick, and reasuring

I like this forum.

Regards

Frank

Aurender N100H> USB(Darkside Cable) > Mcintosh D1100 Digital Preamp > Darkside Cable balanced interconnect  >  Mcintosh MC302 Amp  > SpectralMH-770  Speaker Cables  >  Martin Logan Prodigys