IGNORED

Can an NAS connect directly to a USB DAC?

Definitely a very ignorant newbie question, but I've been reading that you should separate you music player or renderer from the device where your music is stored, so if you are using a computer/laptop to run your music software like MC or Roon connected to your USB dac, how do you get the music on you NAS to the dac?  Can the USB port on the NAS be used to connect it to the DAC,  and can you use DLNA  or Ethernet to connect the computer to the NAS? 

This doesn't sound right to me.

I definitely don't get it.   :confused:

I used NAS with MC (Now I have transfer all to the PC). You have to connect the WD NAS to the router. Once connected to the router, you should able to see the NAS in your PC (even with wifi). With MC, I include NAS folders to the library and I can access from any of my device within the same network. I have tried accessing from outside the network but I think that too is possible for MC. I use My Cloud to access the NAS from outside.

I am only familiar with WD NAS. 

thanks, STC, but my goal is not wireless/wifi playback. I would like to run the NAS as a music server directly into a dac. I don't know if a QNAP or Synology can do this. Do you know if the WD NAS can be wired directly to a dac using the USB port? 

Yes, you can.

For example, Synology offers a software ("Audio Station") you can control via iPad / iPhone (etc.) and will play through a directly-attached USB DAC.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Ok, I think I'm beginning to understand, but still confused:

If my dac  has a usb input, doesn't that mean it will accept the digital audio file sent to it?  Would a dac like a

Schiit or Mytek, or in my case an internal dac in my Parasound Halo have built-in network streaming?  

jhwalker, that's good to know about Synology, but would it still allow me to use a more robust player like JRiver and Roon?

Is using an NAS server noticeably better for SQ than using an external USB drive as your music source? I've read that NAS servers are noisy and can introduce just as much jitter as any computer or laptop..  

What's the difference between a server or nas if you stream audio hard wired directly to your DAC.  For all intents and purposes, they are the same.  So basically what your asking is, maybe I should get a minimal server instead, like a sms-200 or headless server, if my NAS is incapable as a NAA or even sole server?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

9 hours ago, jhwalker said:

Yes, you can.

For example, Synology offers a software ("Audio Station") you can control via iPad / iPhone (etc.) and will play through a directly-attached USB DAC.

From the AudioStation page at Synology:

" listening to music by connecting an audio adapter to your DiskStation and USB speakers or pairing your DiskStation up with Bluetooth speakers is made possible. "

Not sure what they mean by 'connecting an audio adapter'. Most NAS units have their USB setup to attach external storage. Either for expansion with an additional drive, a way to connect another drive and backup, and I have seen NAS with CUPS servers (printing) built in also. Manufactures could support UAC 2 for audio if they desire since most NAS units are Linux based.

2 hours ago, plissken said:

From the AudioStation page at Synology:

" listening to music by connecting an audio adapter to your DiskStation and USB speakers or pairing your DiskStation up with Bluetooth speakers is made possible. "

Not sure what they mean by 'connecting an audio adapter'. Most NAS units have their USB setup to attach external storage. Either for expansion with an additional drive, a way to connect another drive and backup, and I have seen NAS with CUPS servers (printing) built in also. Manufactures could support UAC 2 for audio if they desire since most NAS units are Linux based.

Synology supports attaching a USB DAC or USB speakers directly to some (all?) of their NASs via the USB connector.  They have a list of tested DACs on their website, but there are only a few listed - not to say others won't work, as they claim they support standard UAC1 and UAC2.

If I have the time, I'll give it a try with my DS412+ and iFi Micro iDSD.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

So, maybe I'm wrong thinking that I can directly connect an NAS or NAS server to a dac.

I've been criticized for using a usb hd connected to my laptop running JRiver connected directly to my dac, although

I've inserted a USB Regen between my laptop and dac, which made a really nice improvement.  But thenn how does using a NAS server improve SQ?  How are members using a Synology or QNAP with a usb dac? 

4 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Synology supports attaching a USB DAC or USB speakers directly to some (all?) of their NASs via the USB connector.  They have a list of tested DACs on their website, but there are only a few listed - not to say others won't work, as they claim they support standard UAC1 and UAC2.

If I have the time, I'll give it a try with my DS412+ and iFi Micro iDSD.

I just read your reply, and thanks for offering to help with your DSD412 and IFI.

You have a designation of Senior Member, so I have to believe you speak from knowledge and experience with CA. If you are not using an NAS server as part of your music delivery system, what are you using, if you don't mind telling?

Thanks, also to everyone helping out here. I'm a newbie to computer audio and streaming, but have been doing high-end audio for a long time, but I'm hooked now on CA and I really want to get this right (without breaking the bank).  No matter how I proceed down this road, I've already committed to an ISO Regen and LPS-1. Anyone need  my current USB Regen? :-)   

11 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

So, maybe I'm wrong thinking that I can directly connect an NAS or NAS server to a dac.

I've been criticized for using a usb hd connected to my laptop running JRiver connected directly to my dac, although

I've inserted a USB Regen between my laptop and dac, which made a really nice improvement.  But thenn how does using a NAS server improve SQ?  How are members using a Synology or QNAP with a usb dac? 

They we're wrong.  Nothing wrong with having a HDD connected directly to your labtop.  In fact, I would prefer that over a NAS anyday if you don't need networking capability. 

I think the ISO Regen and LPS-1 combo is a very smart move for your setup of Labtop/HDD using JRiver.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Elvia, I think maybe a lot of what I've been told or read focuses on networking and the ability to store/stream your music to multiple places on multiple devices on a network, and maybe that's where all this emphasis on a NAS comes from. I read on the Roon Knowledge Base that the recommend a very pricey NAS setup using SSD drives just to run Roon properly.  I like what Roon offers as a music player, but I don't want to spend that kind of $$$ to get it.

50 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

Elvia, I think maybe a lot of what I've been told or read focuses on networking and the ability to store/stream your music to multiple places on multiple devices on a network, and maybe that's where all this emphasis on a NAS comes from. I read on the Roon Knowledge Base that the recommend a very pricey NAS setup using SSD drives just to run Roon properly.  I like what Roon offers as a music player, but I don't want to spend that kind of $$$ to get it.

Well, they Roon, are wrong.  Actually we have found that an HDD is better sounding as the OS drive than a SSD.  If you don't need networking, your PC and HDD are golden. 

I'm very content with JRiver.  JRiver can do video.  I hear you about Roon being spendy and agree.  I don't network or stream from subscription and never will.

I guess you have to ask yourself?  Do I want to stream content and find new material using Roon?  Will this enrich my audiophile experience?  If so, then Roon is for you.  But you don't have to use a NAS or SSD.  Your Laptop will be sufficient.

USB = no streaming capability. Unless your DAC has an Ethernet or wifi built in, forget it. You need a streaming bridge that converts network data to a USB connection.

In terms of SQ, jitter isn't that important because your DAC will clean it up. What's important is power noise pollution coming in over the USB or network connections. You use USB isolator / re-clocker products to clean up USB noise. For network connections you need audiophile switches and/or fiber network bridges and similar products.

Ultimate SQ is from a highly cleaned up dedicated audio PC feeding the DAC via USB. Network streaming is less expensive and more convenient to achieve good results.

5 hours ago, audiojerry said:

I just read your reply, and thanks for offering to help with your DSD412 and IFI.

You have a designation of Senior Member, so I have to believe you speak from knowledge and experience with CA. If you are not using an NAS server as part of your music delivery system, what are you using, if you don't mind telling?

Thanks, also to everyone helping out here. I'm a newbie to computer audio and streaming, but have been doing high-end audio for a long time, but I'm hooked now on CA and I really want to get this right (without breaking the bank).  No matter how I proceed down this road, I've already committed to an ISO Regen and LPS-1. Anyone need  my current USB Regen? :-)   

In the context of this forum, "Senior Member" just means you've been around a while and / or have posted a lot ;)  There are a lot of folks here much more savvy than I about this stuff.

That said, I did confirm no issues connecting my iFi Micro iDSD direct to my Synology NAS and playing music using the Audio Station software.  Probably not the best solution in the world (looks like it converts all PCM output to 44.1 - though it allows DSD vis DoP!, has no setting for "fixed volume", etc.), but it works.

FWIW, my normal setup is detailed in my signature:  Mac Mini runs Roon server and has several drives mounted via Firewire to store music.  Roon watches those drives for new files and I use an iPad as the Roon remote.  It serves music to various endpoints, including my AV receiver (for listening via speakers), a microRendu for streaming to an LH Labs Pulse Infinity DAC to MrSpeakers Alpha Prime headphones (for listening via headphones), etc.  I can also switch HQPlayer in / out of the path, depending on my mood - I had an old i5 laptop sitting around that has *just* enough horsepower run HQPlayer and upsample to DSD256 (for the Pulse) or PCM 192 (for my AVR).

I've tried other servers (JRiver, various DLNA setups, etc.), but Roon seems to give me the greatest deal of flexibility with the least hassle and is pretty much rock solid in my environment - can't say the same for JRiver or for DLNA, for sure!

7 hours ago, audiojerry said:

Hi,

I have a QNAP and it has a "Music Station" This is similar to the Synology's "Audio Station." They have software that contains a digital file player that utilizes the USB audio codec and "plays" the digital files stored on your NAS out of one of the USB ports.

One needs some kind of player software, - and the NAS has to be able to use the USB audio codec...

Several QNAP NAS drives also have "Video Stations" that can play movies stored on their NAS via the video processing/playing software and the QNAP's HDMI port.

JHWalker is correct.

IMO, - this kind of defeats at least 1 of the purposes of the NAS, - to get it out of the music room, and available to other devices via an ethernet connection.

I would suggest a microRendu or a SMS-200 that you can connect via ethernet, - place near your DAC. You can still run Spotify, and get many future options later if you want to play your own digital files on a NAS, or run Roon, LMS, or MPD/DLNA etc....

Cheers,

7 hours ago, audiojerry said:

Hi,

Do you have a QNAP or Synology NAS now? If not, - then I do not recommend buying one, - just so you can do USB audio out. Get a SMS-100 or MicroRendu. Especially the microRendu, - you can run Spotify direct with an IPAD/iPHONE app. Since you've already dropped what is likely $900- $1000 on the Iso-Regen & LPS-1, - you've made an investment in USB, - so Sonus is going backwards a bit. A SMS-100 or the mRendu will take you into the future if you want to get a NAS. Also, - you can get FREE LMS, (Logitech Media Server), software and run Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, SoundCloud, plus it finds all your digital files if you choose to rip CDs to digital files......

If you do have a NAS that does USB audio codec. Then I recommend getting a LanRover or a StarTech USB to Ethernet extender & locating your NAS in another room and then you'd be able to use your LPS-1 & ISo-Regen right before your DAC.

I know where Roon is recommending running SSD drives, and that is not without Merit. My trial of Roon worked great on my NAS with motor drives. I didn't buy Roon because I don't have a DSD capable DAC, I hate Tidal, and Roon didn't sound any better than MPD or LMS for digital file playback: it doesn't work on older iPad's, and I really dislike the interface, and that interface is really bad on an iPhone. Roon is simply not that good IMO.

There are so many devices running Tidal and Spotify, - including free server software, - there's no need to Roon.

Cheers,

5 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hi,

Do you have a QNAP or Synology NAS now? If not, - then I do not recommend buying one, - just so you can do USB audio out. Get a SMS-100 or MicroRendu. Especially the microRendu, - you can run Spotify direct with an IPAD/iPHONE app. Since you've already dropped what is likely $900- $1000 on the Iso-Regen & LPS-1.......

All great advice.

I don't have an NAS, yet.

The ISO/LPS-1 combo cost $655.  In terms of what the USB regen did for me, I feel like the ISO Regen and LPS-1 will be real bargains! 

I've been doing a little more reading, and a NUC with SSD for a dedicated music player/server/renderer might be a good way to go.

32 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

All great advice.

The ISO/LPS-1 combo cost $655.  In terms of what the USB regen did for me, I feel like the ISO Regen and LPS-1 will be real bargains! 

I've been doing a little more reading, and a NUC with SSD for a dedicated music player/server/renderer might be a good way to go.

I would wait on a new server and first see how your labtop/DAC react to the ISO Regen/LPS-1.  This may well steer you to decide on which direction to take.  All USB, Ethernet/USB, which media player.  This will determine the features best needed in a new server.

11 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I would wait on a new server and first see how your labtop/DAC react to the ISO Regen/LPS-1.  This may well steer you to decide on which direction to take.  All USB, Ethernet/USB, which media player.  This will determine the features best needed in a new server.

+1

Don't spend any more money until thorough testing with the Iso-Regen. Although I wouldn't use the LPS-1 for the iso-Regen: if you're not happy with the laptop + LPS-1 + Iso-Regen, - you can try the StarTech, LanRover solution.

Cheers,

Roon suggests a SSD to store the database because of the speed. As far as I know, there is no recommendation for what type of drives to use to keep your music on. As far as being able to use USB to connect a NAS to a DAC, my 4 bay QNAP is so noisy I can't imagine having it in the same room as the stereo. 

On 5/3/2017 at 0:48 AM, audiojerry said:

All great advice.

A NAS is just a server. My NAS runs Linux and has an external 15 bay SAS array. Ubuntu cones with industrial strength NAS features. Commercial boxes probably just include a nice GUI.

I also use my desktop workstation to run HQPlayer and connect my audio to a little "ClearFog" device which is a small single board "NUC" type

Custom room treatments for headphone users.