IGNORED

Class D: Turns Out it Does Suck!

While I realize that all of those guys have far more experience and expertise than I will ever have, none of them have my ears.  To my ears Class AB "sucks" and I have no idea why they bother with it at all.  Build a proper Class A like Mr Pass or imitate one with a quality Class D design is what sounds the best to me.  

Aren't those really tubey sounding amps that are so popular with some also reproducing a poor representation according to a test bench?  Does anyone have a similar graph showing the output of an old tube amp such as a Fisher?  I'm just curious what that might look like compared to the Class D.  

FWIW I own a switching amp that sounds wonderful to my ears.  The PS Audio HCA-2.  Perhaps the fuzzy lines shown in the charts of similar amps is somehow a pleasant sounding artifact (at least to a few of us)?

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

That was one of my primary motivations for trying Class D.  I am trying to produce more electricity that we consume. 

We also have a serious ecological catastrophe unfolding ...

Even if the inferior sound quality allegation amounts to anything more than snobbery, I think I could live with the very minor difference, given the difference in power consumption.

Are you guys talking about just electricity consumption during operation or environmental concerns during manufacture?