IGNORED

Class D: Turns Out it Does Suck!

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

I've heard a couple of class A and A/B amps which suck. But the problem with class D is that it sucks by nature. That's not a troll, but a hard fact. Vladimir Shushurin from Lamm was the most brutal about the issue, calling class D feeble with a bunch of diseases on top of it, while we deal with all of its shortcomings with modern medicine.

Guess which one of these 10 KHz square waves is from a class D and and which one is from a class A amp:

1212AM1fig02.jpgPasfig2.jpg

And it proves absolutely nothing about Class D amps as a class. Your so called "fact" is an opinion, not a fact. 

We get it, you don't like ClassD. 

What you don't get is that nothing you think is provable. Every argument you are going to make can be countered - believe me, we've already heard them all. The arguments aren't new. 

Like the rest of us, you are free to think what you want and come to whatever conclusions you want. 

What I don't get is your compulsion to try and prove it and argue about it.

I think that defines "troll"....

I'm out of this one, I can tell it will be a useless so-called "discussion".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I wonder why Audio Research dropped class D ??

Relevance?

Do you also wonder why other brands have picked up Class D? 

Neither is actually relevant.

Companies make decisions like that all the time. Lot of different reasons. Sometimes they drop a technology and then readopt it afterwards.

Sometimes different companies disagree, imagine that. None of it proves anything. Expert amp designers also disagree. I've yet to understand how cherry picking the expert who goes along with your opinion proves anything - it's not as if all respected amp designers agree about class D. 

Same thing with all other types of audio components. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've spent a lot of time listening to class A, class A/B, and class D. In my experience class D amps have the biggest range between implementations. Meaning, some of them are really good while others are horrible. The class A amps I've had and heard, are all really good. But, almost nobody build class A anymore so the sample size is rather small. Plus, who is going to go to the expense of building a bad class A amp. 

One issue with class D is the marketing. Manufacturers have been saying for a long time that class D has finally caught up with A/B or finally overtaken A/B etc... In many cases this hasn't been true. These statements have only hurt the class D technology rather than help it. For example, I had a manufacture over to my place within the last year, who claimed its class D amp could compete with or better the best class A/B. I said, fine, let's put it to the test. After listening to my Constellation Audio Inspiration Mono amps he said wow that's awesome, now let's put my gear into the system. After a few seconds his tail was between his legs. He was surprised at how much better the Constellation amps were than his. I think he was caught up in his own marketing and couldn't envision the outcome of the test beforehand. I knew what the outcome would be because I had already done it before he arrived. 

My bottom line is that I'm more skeptical about class D than any of the other technologies. This is mainly because of all the promises we've heard over the years and all the less than stellar results we've heard to back up those promises. 

I don't know what class D you heard, but I'm assuming it cost less than your $20K pair of monos. So basically, if he had been more modest with his claims, something like "my Class D is as good or better than any Class A/B amp near its' price", you would have been fine with both the amp and the claims.

I don't claim there's a Class D amp as good as the best of A/B amps, like your Constellation. 

I do claim there are some NCore, Nuprime, PS Audio, and ICE implementations which are as good or better than anything close to them in price, and they also give you  more power.

I heard the active Kii Three system, powered by a proprietary version of NCore (made specifically for these speakers/drivers). That amplification wouldn't be beat by conventional amps I know of that cost even several thousand each. And there are 6 of them in each speaker.

I've heard some of the  other recent stand alone Class D amps I mentioned above, and they would also fall in that category, 

• 1 year later...

The short version: it doesn't matter with any of the audiophile designs. Just audiophilia nervosa.

1 minute ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Ok- can you point to the link where this has been analysed that HF has no effect on the tweeter ?. Thanks.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi-

Don't mean to be rude, but it seems you are engaging in armchair engineering on a subject that you know just enough about to come to unfounded  conclusions. The shoe is actually on the other foot: you are the one making  what in this context is an extraordinary claim, so the burden of proof is on you to show that it does matter - in any place other than your speculations.

4 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

If you read my original statement, it was a question whether this carrier frequency is the cause of all class D amplifiers sounding the same.

Regards,

Shadders.

Sounding the same? Acc'd to whom? They don't. Not any more than all class A, Class B, Class A/B. Look at the Hypex amps being sold now where you can switch the opamps on the board input - just that change makes the identical amp sound different. Audibly different.
I understand there are people that don't like something about the sound of Class D. That doesn't mean they all sound alike. Just like I prefer something about solid state to tube amps - it doesn't mean all tube amps sound alike.

6 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

No it is not. They have not stated what the impact is, which does not mean there is no impact.

They use a 22kHz measurement bandwidth for their THD in the data sheets - which is a bit of a con, where other amplifier manufacturers use 80kHz. They use 22kHz measurement bandwidth as it makes their THD look better.

Check out the specification for the NC500 and the review of an NC500 unit reviewed by stereophile :

https://www.stereophile.com/content/theta-digital-prometheus-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Hypex quote 0.005% THD for 4ohms at 20kHz, yet the stereophile measurement is 0.08% - quite a bit different. More than 10x worse.

Regards,

Shadders.

As far as the Stereophile article, you just forgot to mention that JA said the higher distortion figures were only of "academic interest" and "The measured performance of Theta Digital's Prometheus is superb, even for an amplifier with a class-D output stage."
I trust JA and his measurements enough to think that if the amplifier was damaging speakers, he'd mention it.

4 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I made no statement that the tweeter is damaged by the carrier frequency.

Regards,

Shadders.

So then what's the point of your posts? It doesn't damage the tweeter, you can't hear it, and they don't all sound the same....