IGNORED

Class D: Turns Out it Does Suck!

11 hours ago, firedog said:

Relevance?

Do you also wonder why other brands have picked up Class D? 

Neither is actually relevant.

Companies make decisions like that all the time. Lot of different reasons. Sometimes they drop a technology and then readopt it afterwards.

Sometimes different companies disagree, imagine that. None of it proves anything. Expert amp designers also disagree. I've yet to understand how cherry picking the expert who goes along with your opinion proves anything - it's not as if all respected amp designers agree about class D. 

Same thing with all other types of audio components. 

not sure why most of your verbiage seems aimed at my post

If I had to guess why Audio Research dropped class D  it would be lack of fit with a storied tubed electronics line and consequent low sales.

The signal that goes INTO class AB or class B is NOT the signal which comes OUT.   What comes out of class AB or class B is a modulated and filtered facsimile with cross-over distortion.  That's why it has been pointed out that class AB or class B is mathematically, physically inferior to linear class A amplification.  Of course, there are benefits to this trade-off, as always.

There are several issues involved in this thread:

1. Can (or does) Class D match the SQ of the very best Class A or Class AB amps?

2. if so, which products do so for less $$

3. Are any Class D amps a match for a very good Class AB amp at a particular price point, say around $3,000 or $1,000, etc.

4. Do Class D amps offer adv.s for particular uses (inside a speaker box; driving a low ohm load; driving a very complex impedance), etc.

39 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I would love to "check this puppy out" except you haven't told us anything about it. What's the brand? The model number? And most importantly, where can we find this, IOW, whats the URL?

it Looks GROOVEY - that's all the counts!

(yes - it is a $125 Chinese made integrated (tune/SS) with Bluetooth) from monoprice.com

Live in town, don't drive, don't have kids...  but everybody gets to pick any electricity saving or other energy saving activities

Now, what about intermodulation between the scan frequency and the input signal?  Is that a problem with current Class D designs?

you're not backing up your conclusions about Class D

Let's forget about mechanism, and just explain which Class D amps you've heard, the cost, and how old the design is with some specifics on the particular SQ flaws each time

It is the electrolytic capacitors that tend to not last over 20 years or so.  Or maybe it is just the  electrolytic capacitors that were used in the 1980s or 1990s.

Now to get back on topic...

My Sunfire amp uses them and it won't last forever, so what Class D amp will sound better and costs less than the $3,000 Benchmark AHB2??

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, esldude said:

I'll give my subjective impressions though you weren't asking me. 

Class D when good sounds fast and powerful.  And it doesn't seem to care if you use very nearly all of that power as the sound quality stays consistently clean at all levels. It is capable of depth and space when its on the recording.  It doesn't create it however leading some to think it clinical. 

Spectral amps have the speed of class D and maybe more.  They sound powerful and relatively unaffected by how much you use, but not quite to the extent Class D does. 

Good class A amps shouldn't care about power used, but they do seem to fog up just a bit when much of it is used. Sometimes that fog is heard as additional space and dimensionality.  They don't fall apart the way some class A/B amps do when pressed into using lots of the available power.  Some of the finest A/B amps don't leave much to choose vs class A. 

Push-pull tube amps are a different thing altogether much more effected by what they are connected to.  You'll just have to listen and hear it for yourself. 

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the PS Audio Class D gain cell (non-Class D initial or input stage) sound?

esp. if it get fed by a tubed pre-amp (ARC LS25 Mk II)....

9 hours ago, esldude said:

Looking at stereophile measures the Gain cell is the PSAudio input stage feeding an ice power amp. The only obvious differences are more noise than ice power amps usually have.

which issue has the S300 review?

Here is PS Audio's claim: "The S300’s rich, warm, and engaging sonic character comes from the Analog Cell."

also: "musicality"

The Analog Cell is a [1] zero feedback, [2] Class A, [3] MOSFET input stage...

One nice thing is that it's fairly cheap - if I trade in my old Adcom it'll cost ~$1,000...