IGNORED

Resonessence Invicta Mirus Pro & Veritas

The Gustard X20Pro also has 2 x 9028 DAC chips on board.  If you mod the machine, the performance is right there with Invicta and superior to the others.  DSD 512 as well if you like that sort of thing, along with i2S.  Maybe look at LKS ... 2 x 9038.  These machines are the real deal and outstanding value.

Marketing ... uhhh, yes.

jjk

20 minutes ago, jjkale said:

The Gustard X20Pro also has 2 x 9028 DAC chips on board.  If you mod the machine, the performance is right there with Invicta and superior to the others.  DSD 512 as well if you like that sort of thing, along with i2S.  Maybe look at LKS ... 2 x 9038.  These machines are the real deal and outstanding value.

Marketing ... uhhh, yes.

Aren't the DACs each split 4/4 for the mains and head phones on that one?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Ok further research tells me a former ESS manager and a couple former ESS engineers is the only relation to ESS.

If they made the SD card and FPGA computer optional and base priced it at $4500 it would make way more sense to me.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Good topic.  I've also noted that there doesn't seem much interest in these DACSs, but would like to know how they sound on SD card replay.

I can't work out  though what makes them so expensive.  At £6k in the UK that puts them in same bracket  as "budget" offerings from MSB, Totaldac, Playback designs and around treble the price of Exasound which I think uses same chip and is also Canada made.

1 hour ago, Norton said:

Looks like I'm a bit out, the E32 is maybe a little more than half the price of the Mirus Pro?

Let's assume the dedicated FPGA computer, SD Card, HDMI out is 1-1.5k of value.

The other obvious things that might make the Mirus Pro more expensive are:

2 x ESS9028PRO chips in parallel one for each channel and the corresponding circuit to do that.

Internal high quality power supply vs the supposedly cheap ass external power supply provided with the E32.

I found this comment from Resonessence about the Mirus Pro power supply:

590730d7f007e_ScreenShot2017-05-01at6_56_09AM.thumb.png.3beeb4713b5e4eda980f93776676ee96.png

My dealer discussed the price of the FPGA playback computer and SD Card reader with Resonessence.  The replied that it wasn't a very expensive part of the DAC design and removing it wouldn't affect the price much at all.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been wondering about this DAC as a practical alternative to the fussiness of an HQPlayer h/w and s/w set up. The SD card playback is an alternative to the USB or DDC toys and power needs, but it doesn't appeal to me, ultimately. Of course, I haven't heard it so maybe if I did I'd be singing a different tune.

Anyway, despite the technical engineering that went into the Mirus, its cost (even used as one was listed here recently) makes me inclined to wait and see if it stands the test of time (a couple more years?).

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kilauea50 said:

I have the Veritas and while the Mirus Pro is superior, the Veritas does VERY well at holding its own.  For the money, it is extremely hard to beat.  It is an excellent Dac

I grabbed a Veritas for demo today but it seems DSD128 isn't working well with it.  10+ dB volume cut and a pile of backdround hiss.  Firmware 2.1.

Have you experienced the same?

I have not had any issues with DSD128 playback at all via Roon, HQ Player or A+.  Not sure what you are experiencing. My Dac is currently loaned out right now to someone comparing it to a Bricasti M1. I know the Bricasti is absolutely superior.  I will be curious to hear the details....lol 

22 hours ago, Kilauea50 said:

I have not had any issues with DSD128 playback at all via Roon, HQ Player or A+.  Not sure what you are experiencing. My Dac is currently loaned out right now to someone comparing it to a Bricasti M1. I know the Bricasti is absolutely superior.  I will be curious to hear the details....lol 

I think you need to double check when you get it back.  I just had another owner on head-fi test it on his and he experienced the exact same issue.  He thinks it's closer to a 20db drop in volume along with the hiss through the tweeter.

It happens on v2 and v2.1firmwares.

I will do that.  I have never updated it since receiving it so it has the firmware that was on it when I got it last August.  I am one of those that goes by if it isn't broke, leave it alone mentality.  I have never had any playback issues since receiving it.  I don't have a large DSD library but do have a few DSD128 files. 

14 minutes ago, Kilauea50 said:

I have never updated it since receiving it so it has the firmware that was on it when I got it last August.

That would explain it if it does work fine.

PS) The Veritas isn't moving me like the Mirus Pro did, I might have to double up the bones for the big boy.  Sigh!

• 1 month later...

Well after a month with the new Mirus Pro DAC I think I've found a happy formula.  It took some running music through it 24/7 to get it sounding as good as my dealer's demo model.

PCM->PCM poly-sinc-xtr, NS5 with auto rate on.

DSD64 pass through.

• 1 month later...

I've had a loan Mirus ( not pro) in my system for just over a week now.  I can't stop listening to it, the SQ from the SD card input is just stunning.  I've owned  Hugo 1 and Esoteric DACs amongst others, but  I'm still hearing some low level detail for the first time, while the overall texture and 3D sense of the music is a notable step up, bass in particular is superb.

I suspect I will end up buying  one.  Wondering if it would be even better direct into a balanced  power amp and if so what would be a good choice?  My Klipsch speakers don't need much power, thinking maybe something from Pass Labs.

I tried it with HQP,  (44 x 128, xtr2s, ADSM7) but wasn't overly impressed.  On the version I have at least, unlike the Esoteric,  you can't disable the internal  filters, just choose between them.  Maybe that is sub-par for HQP?

4 hours ago, Norton said:

I tried it with HQP,  (44 x 128, xtr2s, ADSM7) but wasn't overly impressed.  On the version I have at least, unlike the Esoteric,  you can't disable the internal  filters, just choose between them.  Maybe that is sub-par for HQP?

By sending DSD 128 the filters, should be out of the picture.  That said I prefer DSD7 to ADSM7 but I'm running it without HQP right now and using the internal Linear Phase Apodizing Filter.  Try upconverting to PCM with the XTR filter and auto rate on.

Also try the DAC's Minimum Phase Slow Roll off if you haven't, I think it's the next best thing to the apodizing linear phase.  A little warmer and slightly rolled off at the top as you would expect.

Here's the latest review from project86:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/08/resonessence-labs-invicta-mirus-pro-review/

2 minutes ago, Norton said:

Thanks.  Are you using (like me)  with a preamp or direct to power amp?  I wonder if latter might be better?

McIntosh pre.  Thought about trying without but don’t want to lose the “McIntosh” sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should give it a try, Dr. Tone! :D

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker