Jump to content

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

On 3/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, danadam said:

 

I did, the same day (though certainly not the DXD but 24/96, and I'd likely pick 16/44 if they offered).

1min.flac 4.48 MB · 0 downloads

 

Carmen sells the 16/44 download as well as the redbook CD on https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/.

It's almost half the price of the 24/96 and almost 3x times cheaper than the DXD than on the https://www.soundliaison.com/  site.

I personally do like the sound of the 24bit and I like to have the original master format, DXD in this case, when possible.

 

Do you convert you 24/96 back to 16/44 before you listen? Do you like that sound better?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PAP said:

Carmen sells the 16/44 download as well as the redbook CD on https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/.

Ah, good to know.

2 hours ago, PAP said:

Do you convert you 24/96 back to 16/44 before you listen?

On my computer at home, no, if I already have it in 24/96. But my playback there uses room correction (brutefir) which converts to 48 kHz anyway 🙂. I do convert to 16/44 and ogg vorbis ( 😱 ) for my DAP and for my computer at work.

2 hours ago, PAP said:

Do you like that sound better?

No. I don't notice any difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, HIFI said:

I contacted sound liaison and gave them my comments.  They asked for feedback. 

 

I suggestet more “One Mic” recordings as I found it incredible.

 

Your feedback counts so .... Please recommend they expand in “One Mic” disciplines. 

 

I must say that I expected more definition on recording room details and ....yes...met my expectations.  What I wasn’t prepared for was the separation and space around musicians.  I think they are onto something very special. 

 

Happy listening !!!

On 3/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, JoeWhip said:

After getting over a head cold, I was finally able to sit down today and listen to the new Witmer Trio release. Sonically, Frans hit it out of the park with this one. As with their first release, this group has some interesting and appealing takes on tunes. Very nice and a very natural sound. It has none of the shortcomings I noted above with the Carmen Gomes one mike set. Sensational bass and drums. The piano and violin sound perfect. Well done.

I agree and I have responded, yet I must say that the new Witmer Trio album, sounds incredible as well, a friend of mine called it 4 dimensional 😊 not surewhat she meant but anyway,  I'd prefer if they will continue with the traditional approach as well as the phenomenal one mic recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I downloaded Carmen Gomes in spite of my reservations about her singing style.  I'll have to say it sounds incredible.  I went for the DXD version since my system can handle it natively through the entire chain.  I'm in the next room now typing this and it feels like they are playing in the other room.  I just wish they would play something that really jumps, maybe later in the album, that would be fun to hear.  They may be on to something with this single mic, although I doubt there is much that it would suitable for beyond these small ensembles.

 

I'm also interested in hearing this through headphones, given its vaguely binaural origin.  My wife has my only decent ones on a trip so I'll have to wait.  My iFi Nano iDSD is DXD capable as well so I'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, zacster said:

I downloaded Carmen Gomes in spite of my reservations about her singing style.  I'll have to say it sounds incredible.  I went for the DXD version since my system can handle it natively through the entire chain.  I'm in the next room now typing this and it feels like they are playing in the other room.  I just wish they would play something that really jumps, maybe later in the album, that would be fun to hear.  They may be on to something with this single mic, although I doubt there is much that it would suitable for beyond these small ensembles.

 

I'm also interested in hearing this through headphones, given its vaguely binaural origin.  My wife has my only decent ones on a trip so I'll have to wait.  My iFi Nano iDSD is DXD capable as well so I'll see.

Little Blue is my favorite album from Carmen


My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 10:59 AM, PAP said:

 

Carmen sells the 16/44 download as well as the redbook CD on https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/.

It's almost half the price of the 24/96 and almost 3x times cheaper than the DXD than on the https://www.soundliaison.com/  site.

I personally do like the sound of the 24bit and I like to have the original master format, DXD in this case, when possible.

 

Do you convert you 24/96 back to 16/44 before you listen? Do you like that sound better?

 

 

 

 

 

The 24/96 was only $10 when the introduction offer was on, just like the Witmer Trio album is now as we speak.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, JoeWhip said:

Sound Liason released another one mic recording last night, Feenbrothers Play Brubeck. Since my Yggy does not take DXD recordings natively, at least not yet, I downloaded the 24/192 WAV file. I like this one way better than the Carmen Gomes recording as it has a fuller and more impactful low end. The tone on this release is excellent. Great piano reproduction, tight detailed bass and drums that sound like drums. Same with the sax, The instrument placement perfectly matches the pictures of the recording session before a live audience. Oh and the music is great. Well done Frans.

 

It's a fabulous recording, no doubt.

The one mic method is ideally suited for a saxophone quartet .

Great liner notes too; https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/453-new-the-feen-brothers-one-mic-recording

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, JoeWhip said:

After getting over a head cold, I was finally able to sit down today and listen to the new Witmer Trio release. Sonically, Frans hit it out of the park with this one. As with their first release, this group has some interesting and appealing takes on tunes. Very nice and a very natural sound. It has none of the shortcomings I noted above with the Carmen Gomes one mike set. Sensational bass and drums. The piano and violin sound perfect. Well done.

 

On 3/4/2019 at 10:30 AM, blue2 said:

 

Nice one! Witmer Trio - Free especially as it's on offer at €10 for DSD - €20 for DXD

 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, PAP said:

I just downloaded the new Witmer Trio album. It is not a one mic but none the less it sounds fantastic. Check that drum sound...whew...

[video]

[/video]

 

 

The Feenbrothers and the Witmer Trio, two completely different albums both in repertoire, playing style and sound and yet there's something that unifies them, the sound of the studio I guess.

@JoeWhip, you being our jazz piano expert,( I've read you excellent Bennie Green review) which piano sound do you prefer the old fashioned Feenbrothers or the more ''modern" Witmer trio?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have to go listen to the Witmer again but I loved the sound of the piano on the Feenbrothers recording. I will be doing a piece here on AS about my impressions of the one mic technique after the next one is released, including an interview with Frans. Thanks for the comment on Benny. Will be seeing Monty Alexander Friday night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, JoeWhip said:

I will have to go listen to the Witmer again but I loved the sound of the piano on the Feenbrothers recording. I will be doing a piece here on AS about my impressions of the one mic technique after the next one is released, including an interview with Frans. Thanks for the comment on Benny. Will be seeing Monty Alexander Friday night.

That will be interesting to read. I think I prefer the Witmer Trio "Free" versus Carmen Gomes "Don't You Cry" and Feen Brothers "Play Brubeck" musically, but the OneMic recordings have the best SQ. It seems to me these 3 are the new ultimate reference standard recordings. Despite Witmer Trio "Free" not being recorded 'live' in a OneMic session, each instrument sounds 'live'. Well done Sound Liaison you've raised the bar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to a few samples of both new recordings and I have the same comment, at least so far, as I do with Carmen Gomes.  They don't move.  The playing is too laid back, partially at least so that they don't overload the mic.  I'm not saying they don't sound good, I just don't enjoy the pacing.  Just last night I had put on Carmen Gomes and I turned it off by the fourth song.  

 

I didn't hear the rest of the songs on the new recording so maybe I should just hold further comment until I hear them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, christian u said:

 

 

 

The Feenbrothers and the Witmer Trio, two completely different albums both in repertoire, playing style and sound and yet there's something that unifies them, the sound of the studio I guess.

@JoeWhip, you being our jazz piano expert,( I've read you excellent Bennie Green review) which piano sound do you prefer the old fashioned Feenbrothers or the more ''modern" Witmer trio?

 

On 3/27/2019 at 12:16 AM, blue2 said:

That will be interesting to read. I think I prefer the Witmer Trio "Free" versus Carmen Gomes "Don't You Cry" and Feen Brothers "Play Brubeck" musically, but the OneMic recordings have the best SQ. It seems to me these 3 are the new ultimate reference standard recordings. Despite Witmer Trio "Free" not being recorded 'live' in a OneMic session, each instrument sounds 'live'. Well done Sound Liaison you've raised the bar!

It's a different SQ, in my opinion, I don't know if it's better, but indeed a most welcome addition.

And it is "laidback" back music to a certain degree....but  l like laidback and the SQ benefits.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's laid back and then there's soporific.  Even "SNorah" Jones keeps it interesting.  

 

I don't mean to knock the musicians and the musicianship, it is the choice of songs that is limited by the recording technique.  We wouldn't buy a phono cartridge that doesn't keep up with the grooves and forced us to listen to slow music.  I want my system, either digital or analog, to be able to play anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this slow music? And it sounds incredible.

Feenbrothers one mic;

 

The Witmer Trio is recorded with more mic's and is more laid back than the Feenbrothers. But OK it is a different type of music.

and btw this is the last days of the Witmer trio $10 offer a superior sounding and played laidback😁 album.; 

spacer.pngWitmer Trio

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 2:14 PM, PAP said:

How is this slow music? And it sounds incredible.

Feenbrothers one mic;

 

The Witmer Trio is recorded with more mic's and is more laid back than the Feenbrothers. But OK it is a different type of music.

and btw this is the last days of the Witmer trio $10 offer a superior sounding and played laidback😁 album.; 

spacer.pngWitmer Trio

 

 

 

First of all, like Thelonious Monk: said, "talking about music is like dancing about architecture", 

but that being said,  still to call the incredible Feen Brothers live recording "laid back"!?, OK compared to Nirvana or something not jazz maybe. But if Feen Brothers is laid back what does that make the Witmer album or to take it even further, Miles Davis; "Kind of Blue"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oso said:

They just released another ´´laid back´´ jazz album.

Vibraphone, piano and upright bass, delicious music and SQ but indeed very laid back. I like it but it is jazz ,and  very well played jazz as well.

spacer.pngBorn to be Blue

 

Just downloaded it and will listen to it tonite


MetalNuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, oso said:

They just released another ´´laid back´´ jazz album.

Vibraphone, piano and upright bass, delicious music and SQ but indeed very laid back. I like it but it is jazz ,and  very well played jazz as well.

spacer.pngBorn to be Blue

 

Very enjoyable album. The playing is exquisite, sound stage is more like the Witmer album, it is not a one mic but a 7 mic recording 😀 and it is very laid back but real jazz. As a jazz fan I'm very impressed with the playing of these master musicians. Jazz is alive and doing well in the Netherlands it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, most are multi mic’d. I have had this one for a week in 24/192 and it sounds fantastic. Working on a new article about these recordings now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...