On 11/11/2021 at 12:01 PM, Darryl R said:

Folder.jpg.68bdcb4e2909748ea74caed313f659ea.jpg

I posted this on the "Album of the Evening" when it was released a few weeks ago, and I can't think of a release I've enjoyed more this year.  I was always partial to No. 4, but the MacMillan was a very pleasant surprise.  So nice to hear a new modern orchestral work that is melodic and beautiful.  I think it's up there with the Barber Adagio (but with a gorgeous dash of brass).

I'll second this exceptional recording. Finally got around to listening to it. Reference Recordings sure know how to record a proper soundstage. I do not have speakers when I play this, they disappear. Every instrument and its sound is between them in multiple layers and depths. You close your eyes and all you see is an orchestra, from about row 15. You hear each instrument and spin your head towards each sound and see every musician in its own space. Fabulous!

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>EtherRegen>SOTM DCBL Cat7>Antipodes K50>Jorma AES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx500 / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Audioquest Hurricane & Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 6:47 PM, ray-dude said:

I upgraded to the 16fs version last night, and it is a winner in my chain.  Clear lift in presence and realness for me.  Difficult to say whether it is 16fs vs 8fs, or whether it is the quality of the RME analog to digital converter vs the Merging ADC (I suspect more of the later, but I'm sure the former is contributing).  

Hearing things like this makes me happy that I've been (very slowly) accumulating 1st gen copies of some key master tapes, looking forward to things like Rob Watts' Ravina ADC.  There is magic still to be found on those analog masters, and I can't wait to hear it.

@JoeWhipwelcome to the pain us PGGB users have happily embraced ;)  I'm buying 12TB drives for my music server these days

interesting. One could wonder if it is the sample rate or the RME sounding better than the Merging. 

But if somebody should experiment with such sample rates I'm glad it is Sound Liaison doing so, at least you know it is going to be a well recorded track you are listening to.

(Btw. it really is a great album. Carmen Gomes is getting up there. Gorgeous horn like phrasing and the joy in her voice when she sings; "don't sit there mumbling talkin' trash, if you wanna have a ball....") .

4 hours ago, PAP said:

To my ears nothing beats the sound of tape, so my guess is tape more than the DAC but ....

Even though there are some interesting advantages of tape built-in to the distortion of the tape recording process (soft limiting -- slight amount can sound nice), my guess is that when you buy most tapes, they havent' been as 'processed' as almost every other normal recording.   THIS IS A GUESS.

I'd really like to hear & analyze about 30seconds to 1 minute of a 'good sounding' tape to find out if there is a difference in processing when compared with a good quality, non-loudness-wars digital copy.   I can also determine the kinds of 'extra' processing done to the digital copy, if any.

A really interesting experiment would be to digitize the tape with high quality pro equipment,  then do careful A/B comparisons between the tape and digitally copied versions.

I truly am NOT arguing whether or not tape sounds better to you or me.   I am wondering WHAT the difference is, not making a qualitative claim. 

Just interested in what is going on....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 7:40 PM, JoeWhip said:

image.jpeg.1761b44f0abeef10cc0f70c971ab1224.jpeg

Another great new recording from the folks at Sound Liaison. I had never heard of the Chris Maene straight string piano before. This is the first jazz recording using this instrument. Fabulous full rich yet detailed sound. May have to listen to this one twice today.

Check this! : Barenboim on the same piano; 

Another great new recording from the folks at Sound Liaison. I had never heard of the Chris Maene straight string piano before. This is the first jazz recording using this instrument. Fabulous full rich yet detailed sound. May have to listen to this one twice today.

Very very good sounding album indeed.

Even the YouTube version sounds convincing;

• 2 weeks later...

Most impressive album but I guess the special surrondings does contribute to the extraordinary sound quality;

.......the perfect placement of the lowest note completely to the left and the highest completely to the right is a sound engineer's dream come true.
Another dream come true was recording the beautiful 'wood' reverb in the old church.

The sound of this church is really special.

A normal stone church has a never ending brittle sustain that can be difficult to handle when recording but the sound in this little church is warm and lush with a gorgeous natural decay."    Frans de Rond; see complete liner notes

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 8:43 PM, PAP said:

That is indeed very special that the notes move so evenly and that natural sound of the church is really nice. It's maybe the best sounding trio recording in my vast collection so far.

And don't forget the to mention the music which is really well played jazz ballads at a very high level. Rob van Bavel got 2nd prize at the Monk competition.  Marcus Robert got 1th prize.

1987 Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz 

First Place: Marcus Roberts, Florida Second Place: Rob van Bavel, The Netherlands
Third Place: John Colianni, New YorkFourth Place: Joey DeFrancesco, Pennsylvania

Judges:
Sir Roland Hanna
Barry Harris
Hank Jones
Roger Kellaway
Dado Moroni

On 4/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, JoeWhip said:

All I will say is Wow!

image.jpeg.736878d1fd25f420dbb5d9dff6211757.jpeg

spacer.png

album is on introduction offer; https://www.soundliaison.com/

And the reviews have it spot on for a change;

"Thunder and lightning, stillness and élan, heavenly and earthly, an adventurous journey to the rhythm of the tides.
These two open minds know how to enliven and musically shape the seasons in their own unique way".

Hifi.nl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 11:13 PM, Milan said:

+3

It's wonderful music and a great recording.

2 of Sound Liaison's  earlier One Microphone Recordings have won the album of the year award at DSD Native.

Carmen Gomes for best vocal recording with ''Don't you Cry'' https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/408-carmen-gomes-inc-dont-you-cry

and 

Rainier Voet & Pigalle44 (Joe's favorite) for best world music recording.https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/515-reinier-voet-ballade-pour-la-nuit

The jury consisted of 2 music reviewers but listeners can vote as well

spacer.pngspacer.png

Reading Joe's excellent article about the recording procedure,how the 1st recording (the Carmen Gomes album) was more a less an experiment, it is quiet a feat that they have managed to gain two awards already. It proves they are on the right track.

They have 20% off on both albums in order to celebrate the award.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/sound-liaison-one-mic-recordings-r813/

The follow up from Reinier Voet has been released last. Highly recommended;

reinier_voet_quartet_images_cover300.jpg Reinier Voet Quartet "Images" ;The Arch Recording Series vol 4.

• 2 months later...