On 10/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, Milan said:

Got the CD it last night.

We listened to it from start to finish only getting up to get a refill.

Fantastic way to spend the evening. I advise new listeners to dim the lights and if possible listen to the whole album as if it was one long song or as if watching a movie with your ears as she suggest on her BandCamp Site  .

The small instrumentals combining the songs works like magic or is it voodoo?  That low bowed bass is almost scary!

Personally I love her way of singing and how she gives meaning to the lyrics and she and her band has given new life to these timeless Robert Johnson songs.

Best album of the year for me so far.

Looking forward to experiencing it again if it will be available from Native DSD or Sound Liaison in DXD.

Carmen calls the album a SOUND LIAISON audiophile recording so I guess it'll be there soon enough.

She is really growing as a musician. Compare Love in Vain and Come on in my kitchen with her earlier versions on the Torn album.

I like the older versions but on this album she is singing with a laid back confidence and a freedom in phrasing reminding me of some of the great horn players from the past. Maybe this way of phrasing is more jazz than blues but come to think of it all of my favorite jazz  has some blues in it and here the songs are all blues. Best of both worlds.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:04 PM, PAP said:

She is really growing as a musician. Compare Love in Vain and Come on in my kitchen with her earlier versions on the Torn album.

I like the older versions but on this album she is singing with a laid back confidence and a freedom in phrasing reminding me of some of the great horn players from the past. Maybe this way of phrasing is more jazz than blues but come to think of it all of my favorite jazz  has some blues in it and here the songs are all blues. Best of both worlds.

Got the CD this weekend and listened last night. What a trip. Finally a band that dares to make a concept album.

I am big Robert Johnson fan and have all the covers of his songs made from the likes of Elmore James and Eric Clapton to the Rolling Stones and what have you, but Carmen Gomes Inc takes first place in my top 10, why? They have made the songs their own. In no way do they try emulate Robert Johnson, instead they seem to have looked at each song and explored the song it self, so not Robert Johnson the artist but Robert Johnson the composer. So refreshing. 

On 10/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, christian u said:

Got the CD this weekend and listened last night. What a trip. Finally a band that dares to make a concept album.

I am big Robert Johnson fan and have all the covers of his songs made from the likes of Elmore James and Eric Clapton to the Rolling Stones and what have you, but Carmen Gomes Inc takes first place in my top 10, why? They have made the songs their own. In no way do they try emulate Robert Johnson, instead they seem to have looked at each song and explored the song it self, so not Robert Johnson the artist but Robert Johnson the composer. So refreshing. 

Joe has published his fine review of the album; Very insightful and well researched;

5 star review of Sound Liaison One Mic + Recording

Joe says it will be released on Friday the 13th!  but it is possible to download it here at introduction price;   https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/677-up-jumped-the-devil-carmen-gomes-inc

spacer.png

Not DXD but one mic recording from 2xHD (but available as download format).

Trio de Curda performs a program of Tango and Latin music, built around Astor Piazzolla’s monumental “Libertango”. Recorded “off-the-floor” on 1/4″ Analog Tape on a Nagra IV-S Tape Recorder in CCIR eq curve, with no overdubs and no editing. Only one Neumann Stereo Tube Microphone (SM69) was used in the Pure Blumlein microphone technique.

Link: https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/2xhdft1182-trio-de-curda-libertango/

q6apD2Fm.jpg

MP3 Samples:

1. Los Mareados

2. Libertango

3. Choclo

4. Oblivion

5. Adios Nonino

On 11/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, m.i.c.k.e.y said:

Not DXD but one mic recording from 2xHD (but available as download format).

Trio de Curda performs a program of Tango and Latin music, built around Astor Piazzolla’s monumental “Libertango”. Recorded “off-the-floor” on 1/4″ Analog Tape on a Nagra IV-S Tape Recorder in CCIR eq curve, with no overdubs and no editing. Only one Neumann Stereo Tube Microphone (SM69) was used in the Pure Blumlein microphone technique.

Link: https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/2xhdft1182-trio-de-curda-libertango/

q6apD2Fm.jpg

MP3 Samples:

1. Los Mareados

2. Libertango

3. Choclo

4. Oblivion

5. Adios Nonino

Very nice album. Bass is a bit boomy, but it does have that one mic quality, no phase cancellation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, blue2 said:

Not sure where you found it? I got Monty Alexander - Love You Madly (Live at Bubba's) on Amazon mp3/CD/vinyl and Pro Studio Masters 24/96 to DXD, DSDx1 to DSDx4

The new Monty Alexander is also available at NativeDSD Music in Stereo DSD 512, DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD.

It's an excellent album in DSD 256 and DSD 512.  Highly recommended!  (Native DSD on Facebook says it's in their Top 5).

https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/2xhdre1187-monty-alexander-love-you-madly-live-at-bubbas/

20 hours ago, bmoura said:

The new Monty Alexander is also available at NativeDSD Music in Stereo DSD 512, DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD.

It's an excellent album in DSD 256 and DSD 512.  Highly recommended!  (Native DSD on Facebook says it's in their Top 5).

https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/2xhdre1187-monty-alexander-love-you-madly-live-at-bubbas/

Great album. Thanks. And it's with Paul Berner on bass!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 6:26 PM, christian u said:

Very impressive indeed. And Terrance Blanchard wrote the liner notes. I would love to hear him record for the label with this 1 microphone technique. His "Simply Stated" album is favorite of mine, but if it had been recorded like this, I would rate up there with Kind of Blue.

Great album, sounds good too! 

If I recall, most if not all of mine are from NativeDSD (like some earlier posts here), and all classical.  The product manager for that site told me they didn't always make them available because of server space requirements, and to let them know you wanted them.  Here are some of mine:

Honeck/Pittsburgh Beethoven 5 & 7

" Beethoven 3

" Bruckner 9

T. Fischer/Utah Mahler 8

I. Fischer/Budapest Mahler 7

" Mendelssohn MSND

Petrenko/Liverpool Shostakovich 7

Honeck/Pitt Shostakovich 5/Barber Adagio

" R. Strauss Elektra & Rosenkavalier Suites

8 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

If I recall, most if not all of mine are from NativeDSD (like some earlier posts here), and all classical.  The product manager for that site told me they didn't always make them available because of server space requirements, and to let them know you wanted them.  Here are some of mine:

Honeck/Pittsburgh Beethoven 5 & 7

" Beethoven 3

" Bruckner 9

T. Fischer/Utah Mahler 8

I. Fischer/Budapest Mahler 7

" Mendelssohn MSND

Petrenko/Liverpool Shostakovich 7

Honeck/Pitt Shostakovich 5/Barber Adagio

" R. Strauss Elektra & Rosenkavalier Suites

I can second the Honeck/Pittsburgh Beethoven 3 and the Strauss album! 

Honeck's other Strauss recordings (Don Juan, Tod und Verklärung, Till Eulenspiegel) are also great btw.

6 minutes ago, pdvm said:

I can second the Honeck/Pittsburgh Beethoven 3 and the Strauss album! 

Honeck's other Strauss recordings (Don Juan, Tod und Verklärung, Till Eulenspiegel) are also great btw.

Right, I keep an eye out for anything they do.  I'll admit to a little bias though, as I went to college with the principal percussionist Andrew Reamer (a phenomenally talented musician).