Rate this topic

20% Off Album of the Week Sale - The Celtic Lute by Ronn McFarlane on Sono Luminus.
Great sounding album in Stereo DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD. Not available on SACD. 
Use offer code AOTW until 2/8/19 to get the savings.

AOTW_Celtic_Lute.thumb.png.e31303cd428bb6bc4c1f3e1c20608cdb.png

20% Off Album of the Week - The Celtic Lute
A Top 5 DSD Best Seller!

Our NativeDSD Album of the Week is The Celtic Lute performed by Ronn McFarlane, one of the members of Ayreheart (which also has an album available at the NativeDSD Music store). The album features 26 tracks and 56 minutes that include 10 tracks of harp music by Turlough O'Carolan, 1 track of the music of James Oswald with the remaining 15 tracks featuring arrangements of traditional Irish and Scottish music that have come down through the centuries.  

The Celtic Lute is available at the NativeDSD Music store in Stereo DSD 128, DSD 64 and DXD.  Save 20% through February 8, 2019 with offer code AOTW.  This is a DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release.

Roger Gordon from Positive Feedback says "Recorded sound does not get much better than this. The soft, mellow sound of the lute is woven into intricate music patterns by a master lutenist. Sit back and relax. Let the music captivate you. Let it wash over you and leave the world behind."

https://sonoluminus.nativedsd.com/albums/DSL92225-the-celtic-lute
https://sonoluminus.nativedsd.com/albums/DSL92203-barley-moon

On 2/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, blue2 said:

Stunning new album and on special offer!!! Single microphone recording is very special!

This sounds absolutely  incredible. One microphone...it blows away a whole lot of modern multi microphone recordings.

It is a very fine recording to be sure. Plenty of room ambience and excellent tone. The cymbal sound is as good as it gets. Two points though. I don’t think that Carmen’s singing is up to the standards set in her other recordings. A bit pitchy on the last track. Her vocals are beautifully captured though. She is right there in the room with you. The bass solos sound superb as the bassist apparently brings the bass closer to the mic, as it would appear from the liner notes. When not soloing, they are a bit recessed for my taste. The other is the drums. The drummer is playing more softly than he would if the set was multimiced. With the one mic, playing louder would overwhelm anyone else. This release highlights the pros and cons of the single mic approach. All in all, I enjoyed this release and it is the best single mic recording I have ever heard. Well done.

12 hours ago, PAP said:

This sounds absolutely  incredible. One microphone...it blows away a whole lot of modern multi microphone recordings.

Yes, indeed.  Incredible.

9 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

It is a very fine recording to be sure. Plenty of room ambience and excellent tone. The cymbal sound is as good as it gets. Two points though. I don’t think that Carmen’s singing is up to the standards set in her other recordings. A bit pitchy on the last track. Her vocals are beautifully captured though. She is right there in the room with you. The bass solos sound superb as the bassist apparently brings the bass closer to the mic, as it would appear from the liner notes. When not soloing, they are a bit recessed for my taste. The other is the drums. The drummer is playing more softly than he would if the set was multimiced. With the one mic, playing louder would overwhelm anyone else. This release highlights the pros and cons of the single mic approach. All in all, I enjoyed this release and it is the best single mic recording I have ever heard. Well done.

I agree and the vocal seems not as good as her previous DXD but it is still better than some so called "audiophile voices" albums.  It may be due to the inherent disadvantage of a single microphone setup.

The new album from Pop/Rock trio Sonic Rade is now available in Stereo DXD, DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64.

It's a follow-up to their earlier album Sideways on VDM Records.

cover.thumb.jpg.cc63622354c39628795bcc2c5b124a8d.jpg

Pop/Rock band Sonic Rade returns to NativeDSD with their new album titled Sonic Rade on VDM Records. This is a follow-up to their earlier album Sideways (also available from NativeDSD).

The new album features 13 songs written by the band.  This includes the first single from the album "Let's Dream Tonight". Sonic Rade was recorded at Sonic Studio in Genva, Switzerland in DXD.  It is available today at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64 and DXD.  This is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release.

VDM tells us "Sonic Rade, the Swiss Pop-Rock trio is pleased to announce the release of their newest album on the VDM Records label. The album, simply titled “Sonic Rade”, is a step forward for the band, not only musically, but emotionally. Each song will transport you into a different world to which everyone can relate too. Let yourself get carried away by the quality of Sonic Rade’s music and sound.

Sonic Rade was formed in 2010 in Switzerland on the shore of the Rade (named after Geneva’s harbor). The band is a trio composed of Ricardo Ryan (vocals and guitar), Christian Fonjallaz (bass and back vocals) and Christophe Grand (drums and back vocals)."

https://vdmrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/VDM03855039-sonic-rade
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/VDM03855032-sideways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8iitH26gU

On 2/11/2019 at 2:11 AM, MetalNuts said:

I agree and the vocal seems not as good as her previous DXD but it is still better than some so called "audiophile voices" albums.  It may be due to the inherent disadvantage of a single microphone setup.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, JoeWhip said:

On some tracks the vocals are bit further back in the mix but I think the vocals on i.e. "Summertime" is absolutely stunning.

The repertoire is also more laid back than on "Sings the Blues'' but i'm happy that it is;  ''Where Can I Go'' , ''Sweet Lorraine'', ''How Long''...these are superb interpretations....

And indeed they probably cannot fix anything in the mix as with a multitrack recording, but the benefits are obvious,  it sounds so very real. As if the band is in the room. I hope they will  issue more recordings done in this way.

CarmenOMR300shadowv2.pnghttps://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/408-carmen-gomes-inc-dont-you-cry