20% Off Album of the Week Sale - The Celtic Lute by Ronn McFarlane on Sono Luminus.
Great sounding album in Stereo DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD. Not available on SACD. 
Use offer code AOTW until 2/8/19 to get the savings.

AOTW_Celtic_Lute.thumb.png.e31303cd428bb6bc4c1f3e1c20608cdb.png

20% Off Album of the Week - The Celtic Lute
A Top 5 DSD Best Seller!

Our NativeDSD Album of the Week is The Celtic Lute performed by Ronn McFarlane, one of the members of Ayreheart (which also has an album available at the NativeDSD Music store). The album features 26 tracks and 56 minutes that include 10 tracks of harp music by Turlough O'Carolan, 1 track of the music of James Oswald with the remaining 15 tracks featuring arrangements of traditional Irish and Scottish music that have come down through the centuries.  

The Celtic Lute is available at the NativeDSD Music store in Stereo DSD 128, DSD 64 and DXD.  Save 20% through February 8, 2019 with offer code AOTW.  This is a DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release.

Roger Gordon from Positive Feedback says "Recorded sound does not get much better than this. The soft, mellow sound of the lute is woven into intricate music patterns by a master lutenist. Sit back and relax. Let the music captivate you. Let it wash over you and leave the world behind."

https://sonoluminus.nativedsd.com/albums/DSL92225-the-celtic-lute
https://sonoluminus.nativedsd.com/albums/DSL92203-barley-moon

It is a very fine recording to be sure. Plenty of room ambience and excellent tone. The cymbal sound is as good as it gets. Two points though. I don’t think that Carmen’s singing is up to the standards set in her other recordings. A bit pitchy on the last track. Her vocals are beautifully captured though. She is right there in the room with you. The bass solos sound superb as the bassist apparently brings the bass closer to the mic, as it would appear from the liner notes. When not soloing, they are a bit recessed for my taste. The other is the drums. The drummer is playing more softly than he would if the set was multimiced. With the one mic, playing louder would overwhelm anyone else. This release highlights the pros and cons of the single mic approach. All in all, I enjoyed this release and it is the best single mic recording I have ever heard. Well done.

9 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

It is a very fine recording to be sure. Plenty of room ambience and excellent tone. The cymbal sound is as good as it gets. Two points though. I don’t think that Carmen’s singing is up to the standards set in her other recordings. A bit pitchy on the last track. Her vocals are beautifully captured though. She is right there in the room with you. The bass solos sound superb as the bassist apparently brings the bass closer to the mic, as it would appear from the liner notes. When not soloing, they are a bit recessed for my taste. The other is the drums. The drummer is playing more softly than he would if the set was multimiced. With the one mic, playing louder would overwhelm anyone else. This release highlights the pros and cons of the single mic approach. All in all, I enjoyed this release and it is the best single mic recording I have ever heard. Well done.

I agree and the vocal seems not as good as her previous DXD but it is still better than some so called "audiophile voices" albums.  It may be due to the inherent disadvantage of a single microphone setup.

MetalNuts

The new album from Pop/Rock trio Sonic Rade is now available in Stereo DXD, DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64.

It's a follow-up to their earlier album Sideways on VDM Records.

cover.thumb.jpg.cc63622354c39628795bcc2c5b124a8d.jpg

Pop/Rock band Sonic Rade returns to NativeDSD with their new album titled Sonic Rade on VDM Records. This is a follow-up to their earlier album Sideways (also available from NativeDSD).

The new album features 13 songs written by the band.  This includes the first single from the album "Let's Dream Tonight". Sonic Rade was recorded at Sonic Studio in Genva, Switzerland in DXD.  It is available today at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64 and DXD.  This is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release.

VDM tells us "Sonic Rade, the Swiss Pop-Rock trio is pleased to announce the release of their newest album on the VDM Records label. The album, simply titled “Sonic Rade”, is a step forward for the band, not only musically, but emotionally. Each song will transport you into a different world to which everyone can relate too. Let yourself get carried away by the quality of Sonic Rade’s music and sound.

Sonic Rade was formed in 2010 in Switzerland on the shore of the Rade (named after Geneva’s harbor). The band is a trio composed of Ricardo Ryan (vocals and guitar), Christian Fonjallaz (bass and back vocals) and Christophe Grand (drums and back vocals)."

https://vdmrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/VDM03855039-sonic-rade
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/VDM03855032-sideways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8iitH26gU

On 2/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, PAP said:

This sounds absolutely  incredible. One microphone...it blows away a whole lot of modern multi microphone recordings.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:08 AM, MetalNuts said:

Yes, indeed.  Incredible.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, PAP said:

On some tracks the vocals are bit further back in the mix but I think the vocals on i.e. "Summertime" is absolutely stunning.

The repertoire is also more laid back than on "Sings the Blues'' but i'm happy that it is;  ''Where Can I Go'' , ''Sweet Lorraine'', ''How Long''...these are superb interpretations....

And indeed they probably cannot fix anything in the mix as with a multitrack recording, but the benefits are obvious,  it sounds so very real. As if the band is in the room. I hope they will  issue more recordings done in this way.

CarmenOMR300shadowv2.pnghttps://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/408-carmen-gomes-inc-dont-you-cry

On 2/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, JoeWhip said:

On 2/11/2019 at 2:11 AM, MetalNuts said:

I agree and the vocal seems not as good as her previous DXD but it is still better than some so called "audiophile voices" albums.  It may be due to the inherent disadvantage of a single microphone setup.

It´s a fantastic recording.

On the louder pieces the vocals are indeed a bit further back, but on the softer songs like ``Where Can I Go Without you" her singing is as good as ever. And I agree with Joe that it is the best single mic recording I have ever heard.

Drums and bass especially sounds superb.

The biggest problem I have with this recording is that when I put on a normal ''multi mic'' recording  after having listened to this one, it sounds so unnatural 😊  I sure hope they continue with this way of recording.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, PAP said:

I just downloaded the new Witmer Trio album. It is not a one mic but none the less it sounds fantastic. Check that drum sound...whew...

[video]

[/video]

I'd suggest listening to the preview on their page. This youtube upload sounds to be corrupted (e.g. the 5 kHz tone every 15 sec).

On 3/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, PAP said:

I just downloaded the new Witmer Trio album. It is not a one mic but none the less it sounds fantastic. Check that drum sound...whew...

[video]

[/video]

On 3/5/2019 at 12:43 AM, danadam said:

I'd suggest listening to the preview on their page. This youtube upload sounds to be corrupted (e.g. the 5 kHz tone every 15 sec).

Funny I don't hear that.

But anyway get the download. It's a spectacular recording.

I listened to the samples of the Carmen Gomes release and they all sound very natural.  I saw a comment somewhere about the recording in that they had to move the musicians back and forth to get a good balance of the sound on the single mic, and that the drummer did have to tone it down so as not to overwhelm the rest.  

The big problem I have is that I just don't like her voice.  There is something about her diction that just grates on me.  When I first started looking at downloads about a year ago I came across her on a multi resolution sampler, and while I played it in DXD my wife came in and said she sounds like she's in the room.  I then bought one track to give it a try (the only track I've ever purchased online btw.)  I played it a few times and it sounded great, probably the best made recording I've heard, but I just couldn't listen to it.  Give me Melody Gardot any day.  I saw Melody in concert and she put on a good show.

And I'm not picking on Carmen.  I feel the same way about almost all the meticulously made audiophile recordings.  Very competent musicians but no standouts.  Maybe it's having to try so hard to get the "perfect" sound that the music loses its soul in the process.  This is probably why I just go on Qobuz or Tidal and search for mainstream music in hi-res.

After getting over a head cold, I was finally able to sit down today and listen to the new Witmer Trio release. Sonically, Frans hit it out of the park with this one. As with their first release, this group has some interesting and appealing takes on tunes. Very nice and a very natural sound. It has none of the shortcomings I noted above with the Carmen Gomes one mike set. Sensational bass and drums. The piano and violin sound perfect. Well done.

7 hours ago, HIFI said:

I contacted sound liaison and gave them my comments.  They asked for feedback. 

I suggestet more “One Mic” recordings as I found it incredible.

Your feedback counts so .... Please recommend they expand in “One Mic” disciplines. 

I must say that I expected more definition on recording room details and ....yes...met my expectations.  What I wasn’t prepared for was the separation and space around musicians.  I think they are onto something very special. 

Happy listening !!!

I agree. It's very special. It's like the band is in the room with you. And I adore Carmen's voice, such an elegant horn like phrasing and none of those mannerisms that plagues so many of her colleagues. She is completely believable.

But I also understand why Joe likes the Witmer Trio so much. I am going to advise them to keep doing both. One mic as well as their more traditional approach.

BTW. there is only 24 hours left of the introduction offer for the one mic recording. I just received a notification.

link; one Mic special offer.

spacer.png

On 3/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, PAP said:

Funny I don't hear that. 

In case anyone is interested, you can find the first minute of that stream with 5250 Hz frequency boosted by ~15 dB in the attachment. The "interesting" part happens at 8 s, 22 s, 36 s and 51 s.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, PAP said:

But anyway get the download. It's a spectacular recording.

I did, the same day (though certainly not the DXD but 24/96, and I'd likely pick 16/44 if they offered).

1min.flac