12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Oh good to hear!

Do you have any other Mahler 3rd's in your library? How does this Fischer performance compare?

I have the Zander, MTT, and Chailly on DSD and probably a couple other Redbook versions.

I'm a little daunted by the almost $30 price tag too, to be honest. I usually try to find my SACDs under $15.

It is only now in my later years that I start getting into Mahler. I used to find him too much.....sugar?  So this is my 1th version of the 3rd. but I will explore some of your suggestions. thanks,:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 0:27 AM, PAP said:

I must say I find this download very impressive. This really sounds as if being there. The label has a very good track record. Their previous releases has all been 96 pcm, and very very good indeed but this DXD takes it all up a notch.

If this is exemplary for DXD recordings then that is what I will be searching for.

DXD recommendations please!

CSTB300shadowv2.pngSound Liaison; Carmen Gomes sings the Blues. 

Only two days left off the 33% discount on the flac files. But I do recommend the DXD version if your DAC can handle it, even though it is only a 20% discount on those files.

• 3 weeks later...

Sound Liaison has released a comparison download. They use the Aul ConverteR to convert from DXD to DSD. http://www.soundliaison.com/all-categories/6-compare-formats

Which format is best for your DAC?
Every DAC has it's own character, some sounds better using PCM files and some sounds better using DSD files...... Some people find the convenience of FLAC files more important.

Here on this page is a list containing 2 minutes of a song in 11 different formats.

http://www.soundliaison.com/all-categories/6-compare-formats

The song is called 'A Fool For You' and is performed by Carmen Gomes Inc.
It’s taken from the album 'Carmen Sings The Blues'.

http:// http://soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

All the different formats have the same source file, DXD 352kHz (Studio Master).
We used the AUL ConverteR 48x44 for the conversion to DSD and Wavelab for the conversion to the other PCM formats and FLAC.

When you compare different sample rates always start with the lowest resolution.
During listening don't focus too much, hearing is as individual as taste but hearing is also something which can be acquired, like the taste of good wine.

You can choose from the following formats:

1.  DXD 352kHz
2.  PCM 192kHz
3.  PCM 176kHz
4.  PCM 96kHz
5.  PCM 44kHz
6.  DSD 256
7.  DSD 128
8.  DSD 64
9 . FLAC 352kHz
10. FLAC 192kHz
11. FLAC 96kHz
Read more  

compare 2017.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The microphone list looks top notch:

Carmen: Audix SCX25
Folker: Josephson C700
Peter: Josephson C700
Bert: Josephson C617 (overheads) - Audix D6 (basdrum)
Main system - Schoeps MK5 (AB)
Micpre's: Merging Horus
Microphone cables: AudioQuest Yokon

On 8/22/2017 at 7:50 PM, tailspn said:

Could be, if the producer's recording objective included the colorations inherent in recording to tape (as pleasant as they may be depending on the music style).

Recording is an art form every bit as much as the musicians performance. The selection and placement of microphones, the chosen venue and/or added reverb, the recording medium, and the post production sweetening and mastering all contribute to the emotionality of the recording.

On a purely technical basis, if accuracy of the microphone mixed signal was the objective, the answer IMO would be no.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 12:58 PM, botrytis said:

We have several here in Ann Arbor. We also have the largest free music festival in the world - Ann Arbor Summer Festival as well as a small one coming up - The Water hill Music Festival. If that isn't enough, we are close to Detroit which has the largest free jazz festival - The Detroit Jazz Fest. And there are many other venues and music festivals around the area.

Sounds good. How about jazz clubs with weekly jazz performances are they still around in your area?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/16/2018 at 8:01 PM, Milan said:

new DXD release;

Wild Man Blues, with Ruud Breuls/ Simon Rigter  5tet Ruud-300shadowv4.png

It is just out. Listening in 24/96 right now. Highly recommended!

It's part of the same series as the Carmen Gomes album. Wild Man Blues

On 4/15/2018 at 4:10 PM, johndoe21ro said:

I have it in DXD and I find it excellent! :)

On 3/1/2018 at 2:37 PM, christian u said:

Great album. Superb arrangements played by master musicians and well recorded too. It is a great concept ”live in the studio“, it's the best of both worlds.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:01 PM, Milan said:

new DXD release;

Wild Man Blues, with Ruud Breuls/ Simon Rigter  5tet Ruud-300shadowv4.png

It is just out. Listening in 24/96 right now. Highly recommended!

It's part of the same series as the Carmen Gomes album. Wild Man Blues

Finally had the time to really listen to the album without any kind of distractions. Very impressive. Superb SQ.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...